Buffalo Bills 2020 Thread | Page 212 | Syracusefan.com

Buffalo Bills 2020 Thread

Another step toward NFL Royalty

It's important to achieve Royalty status, so that when for instance your best two Defensive players throw punches in the 1H of the AFC Championship game, the 8 men all charged with circling the field of play and watching for just such behavior, happen to miss the punches thrown (I guess) because otherwise there would have been penalties thrown (and possible ejections).

Actually, wait, we know they saw them because they were on camera and we learned from the Broadcast that the officials spoke to D Coordinator Spagnola and told him to "knock it off", which probably occurred before they reluctantly flagged a Chief for a late-hit pile drive on Diggs after about 10 secs of hoping nobody saw THAT (but it's a rule so gotta flag it).

I suppose it's possible the League office saw the punches on the broadcast and called down to the referee because they were looking bad, it's possible.

So need to keep making those steps toward Royalty...and in no way am I blaming the outcome on the officials, the Bills Def Coaches had a "cover noone AND don't pressure" philosophy and the WRs were just too beat up unfortunately and the Bills need a RB badly, and JA needs to know a play is over when it's over, but I don't like this narrative at the end that the Bills were starting fights. Nonsense, Chiefs were horrible, but they're Royalty.

Very fun season, have faith in the Bills front office finding some answers.

Actually, wait, we know they saw them because they were on camera and we learned from the Broadcast that the officials spoke to D Coordinator Spagnola and told him to "knock it off", which probably occurred before they reluctantly flagged a Chief for a late-hit pile drive on Diggs after about 10 secs of hoping nobody saw THAT (but it's a rule so gotta flag it).
Seriously - what was up with this nonsense?

"Hey Steve, your DBs are holding non-stop, tell him if they do it 10 more times, we'll have to throw a flag". Just throw the flag, and continue to throw flags until the DBs take the hint!

If I recall, any my memory may be a tad impacted here, the sideline reporter comment was about overall behavior of the defense, ranging from coverage to behavior after plays.

To your point, it's ridiculous.

If I recall, any my memory may be a tad impacted here, the sideline reporter comment was about overall behavior of the defense, ranging from coverage to behavior after plays.

To your point, it's ridiculous.
that's a joke. Best way to curb this kind of crap is to penalize transgressions immediately

Last year I thought Singletary showed his ability to make guys miss in a phone booth. I don't see that any more. Not sure if a factor but his college in Florida ran him a lot. Like a ridiculous amount. Not to bash him as he seems a likeable guy, but he's small, not that fast and has trouble catching.

Yep. As a rookie, you could look past his issues catching the ball and pass-protecting because he was so damn good at making multiple defenders miss. He was one of the most elusive RBs in the league as a rookie (and in college as well granted it was a much lower level of competition). He just didn't look like the same guy this season in that regard and unfortunately very much looked like the same guy in those other areas.

At the same time, I think the OLine did a very poor job of opening up holes this season and there's only so much a RB can do with that, but if the OLine isn't going to change (which they arguably shouldn't change that much as they did a really good job in pass protection this year), you could at least focus more on receiving skills at the RB position than we have to this point.

If they do ultimately opt to focus more on receiving/pass protection at the RB position, this is a great year in free agency for it. James White, Jamaal Williams, Rex Burkhead, Chris Thompson, LeVeon Bell, Tevin Coleman, Ty Montgomery...there's a lot of options out there that can bring those skills to the team and probably won't break the bank.

Yep. As a rookie, you could look past his issues catching the ball and pass-protecting because he was so damn good at making multiple defenders miss. He was one of the most elusive RBs in the league as a rookie (and in college as well granted it was a much lower level of competition). He just didn't look like the same guy this season in that regard and unfortunately very much looked like the same guy in those other areas.

At the same time, I think the OLine did a very poor job of opening up holes this season and there's only so much a RB can do with that, but if the OLine isn't going to change (which they arguably shouldn't change that much as they did a really good job in pass protection this year), you could at least focus more on receiving skills at the RB position than we have to this point.

If they do ultimately opt to focus more on receiving/pass protection at the RB position, this is a great year in free agency for it. James White, Jamaal Williams, Rex Burkhead, Chris Thompson, LeVeon Bell, Tevin Coleman, Ty Montgomery...there's a lot of options out there that can bring those skills to the team and probably won't break the bank.
I could easily be talked into Najee Harris, if he’s there when we draft.

I never thought I’d be a Round 1 RB guy ever again, but after watching last night, and seeing what Harris brought to the passing game at Alabama, I think he’s a great fit for us.

Speaking of the O-Line - what was up with them last night? There were multiple times that defensive tackles burst through the line nearly untouched. Daryl Williams looked like a damn turnstile at RT most of the night.

Speaking of the O-Line - what was up with them last night? There were multiple times that defensive tackles burst through the line nearly untouched. Daryl Williams looked like a damn turnstile at RT most of the night.
A couple friends of mine who are football geeks told me the Chiefs game planned to attack the right side, knowing Allen would want to flush right, and also knowing big Chris Jones could push Morse back into the pocket, preventing Allen from stepping up in the pocket.

Williams did get beat clean once or twice by Clark, which was strange to see, but the Chiefs targeted the right side with pressure (according to them).

I think Milano, Morse and Brown became expandable after last night.

Chris Jones is one of the best players in the league at any position and doesn't get talked about enough. He's overshadowed by the fact that Aaron Donald exists, but he's an absolute game-wrecker at the DT position and as LIC mentioned, they just overwhelmed the right side of the line all day.

I’m really not super excited about bringing Milano back.

We need impact players. He is not one.

We’re paying Edmunds most likely when he comes due.

Too many above average guys on this team and not enough top tier guys.

I’d cut Brown, Jefferson, Addison and Butler.

Keep one of Morse or Feliciano as Center and let the other go. Interior OL needs to be better.

I could easily be talked into Najee Harris, if he’s there when we draft.

I never thought I’d be a Round 1 RB guy ever again, but after watching last night, and seeing what Harris brought to the passing game at Alabama, I think he’s a great fit for us.
I'm still vehemently against RB in round 1. Harris does look good though. Ultimately I just doubt we'll invest early picks in RBs 3 years in a row even if the first two were relatively disappointing this year. Round 1 to me should be WR, OL, or literally anything on the defensive side of the ball.

I haven't really scouted much at all yet this year, but I'd love to select Kadarius Toney in the 1st if possible to replace McKenzie (and maybe more long-term, replace Beasley).

I'm still vehemently against RB in round 1. Harris does look good though. Ultimately I just doubt we'll invest early picks in RBs 3 years in a row even if the first two were relatively disappointing this year. Round 1 to me should be WR, OL, or literally anything on the defensive side of the ball.

I haven't really scouted much at all yet this year, but I'd love to select Kadarius Toney in the 1st if possible to replace McKenzie (and maybe more long-term, replace Beasley).
Good friend of mine is a Gator so I watch them a lot. LOVE Toney. Dude is as close as it gets to the speed KC has. He’s shooting up mock drafts though. ...but if Toney or Pitts are somehow there, I’m all over it.

I’m also vehemently against RB’s early. But Najee Harris is more Alvin Kamara than pure RB, imo.

Good friend of mine is a Gator so I watch them a lot. LOVE Toney. Dude is as close as it gets to the speed KC has. He’s shooting up mock drafts though. ...but if Toney or Pitts are somehow there, I’m all over it.

I’m also vehemently against RB’s early. But Najee Harris is more Alvin Kamara than pure RB, imo.

Yeah, I know this is once again a pretty stacked WR class at the top, but Toney feels like a guy that should rise up out of our draft range by the time the draft rolls around. He's just crazy explosive.

That, to me, is the obvious role to upgrade in the WR corps if there is one. If we ultimately cut Brown, we can slide Davis into that spot and hope he continues developing as a wide out. The stuff we do with McKenzie is helpful, but it'd be a lot better if he were a threat as a receiver in addition to being a gadget guy. Toney can absolutely be that. Rondale Moore could be if he can stay healthy too, but he's missed most of the past two years in college. I know Daniel Jeremiah is high on Tutu Atwell for the same sorts of skills as these two but I haven't seen as much of him so I can't really speak to it.

Can't really argue with this too much.

I agree the FGs are overblown.
I know you can't beat them with FGs or whatever, but whenever these transcendent offenses come down the pike and ultimately lose - the '90 Bills, the '01 Rams, the '07 Pats, Peyton Manning teams - they usually don't lose 38-35 shootouts; rather someone finds a way to slow them down.
Defense is supposed to be McDermott's thing and they were pretty healthy on that side. Disappointing they forced one punt and even that was because of a drop.

I’m really not super excited about bringing Milano back.

We need impact players. He is not one.

We’re paying Edmunds most likely when he comes due.

Too many above average guys on this team and not enough top tier guys.

I’d cut Brown, Jefferson, Addison and Butler.

Keep one of Morse or Feliciano as Center and let the other go. Interior OL needs to be better.

I don't see the Bills letting Feliciano or Milano go. All a guess at this point but I just don't see it. I think Brown is gone for sure.

KC airport is about 90% blue and is the saddest place on earth right now.
I experienced the same (though probably not to this degree considering it was the AFC championship) in Houston and Jacksonville the last few years. It's so weird the day after.

I am bummed :(

It's HARD to get this far.

I'm not so much bummed about losing the game. I mean, the best team won and that happens.

I think I'm more bummed that I'm not sure how we'll close that gap.

KC is a really good team. With a really good coach. And I don't know who is dropping off that roster anytime soon.

It was a mismatch on both sides of the ball last night. If not for a dropped punt gift, there would have been little cause for hope at any point in the game.

I experienced the same (though probably not to this degree considering it was the AFC championship) in Houston and Jacksonville the last few years. It's so weird the day after.
Think my last experience with something like this was the Sabres getting eliminated by Ottawa during the Presidents Trophy season and thousands walking out of the arena and down the streets in absolute silence.

I'm not so much bummed about losing the game. I mean, the best team won and that happens.

I think I'm more bummed that I'm not sure how we'll close that gap.

KC is a really good team. With a really good coach. And I don't know who is dropping off that roster anytime soon.

It was a mismatch on both sides of the ball last night. If not for a dropped punt gift, there would have been little cause for hope at any point in the game.
Yeah going in I understood we were playing an elite team that just won last year. No shame in the overall final outcome. If we simply lost but played our game, fine. Yesterday we didn’t really do it on either side. So it was just frustrating to end it on those terms.

Think my last experience with something like this was the Sabres getting eliminated by Ottawa during the Presidents Trophy season and thousands walking out of the arena and down the streets in absolute silence.
I was at Game 7 of the Cubs-Indians world series. I'm a Cubs fan so I was obviously on Cloud 9, but I got the tickets through my cousins that are Indians' season ticket holders and was staying at their house during the series so that was probably the weirdest car ride I've ever had.