Buffalo Bills 2022 Thread | Syracusefan.com

Buffalo Bills 2022 Thread

Is Dorsey the new OC once Daboll moves on? Heard rumblings that he might go with Daboll to NY if he gets the HC gig.

If Daboll moves on, I agree that it’s Dorsey if we want him. If he leaves to be Daboll’s OC, then I have to imagine we have someone else in mind.

I don’t think Frazier is a lock to return. We won’t do anything until the HC vacancies are filled, as he’s a candidate for some, but I do think this will be a volatile off-season (not necessarily in a bad way). Although that may be my wishful thinking as I do think he’ll be back.

If I had to guess, Edmunds plays his 5th year out here, but if Buffalo is on the fence about paying him, it might be worth seeing what the market is for him.

On Offense, I think Beane will say today that we need more speed, and hopefully this time he means it.

Same on Defense. Speed in the secondary (which to me should lead to letting Levi walk) and if a big move is to be made.. after seeing Ingram for KC and Miller for LAR, to me Beane has to explore how expensive the market is to add a true game wrecker to the trio of young EDGE players all on rookie contracts for 2-3 more years.

Last edited:
Not at all ready to move on but good to be with you boys for another year.

Looking forward to overanalyzing the draft, convincing myself that we are the best/worst team in the NFL in alternating weeks, and taking another AFC East title from the Patsies...

Based on Beane's comments it sounds like Star and Beasley will be back. Levi is very likely to test free agency.

So, Hackett to Green Bay has to mean it’s a package deal with Rodgers, correct?

That division is going to be absurd.

Nevermind the chatter that Davante Adams wants to sign with his best friend, Derek Carr, in Vegas.

So, Hackett to Green Bay has to mean it’s a package deal with Rodgers, correct?

That division is going to be absurd.

Nevermind the chatter that Davante Adams wants to sign with his best friend, Derek Carr, in Vegas.

It makes the Chiefs schedule tougher so I'm for it.

Based on Beane's comments it sounds like Star and Beasley will be back. Levi is very likely to test free agency.

I don’t think they have a choice with Star. Kinda stuck with him. He’s a decent rotational piece, but at that price it’s very frustrating given we should be off the contract if not for the opt-out year.

Beasley, I’m not so sure. He answered that how I’d expect he would with Cole under contract. I love Beasley as a player, and honestly - as a person given how I feel about the elephant in the room issue, BUT I would rather have more speed out of the slot. Knox operates in much of the same area.. I’d rather have someone who can make explosive plays rather than catch the ball and fall down.

That said, Cole is incredibly reliable, tough and clutch… I won’t hate having him back.

I don’t think they have a choice with Star. Kinda stuck with him. He’s a decent rotational piece, but at that price it’s very frustrating given we should be off the contract if not for the opt-out year.

Beasley, I’m not so sure. He answered that how I’d expect he would with Cole under contract. I love Beasley as a player, and honestly - as a person given how I feel about the elephant in the room issue, BUT I would rather have more speed out of the slot. Knox operates in much of the same area.. I’d rather have someone who can make explosive plays rather than catch the ball and fall down.

That said, Cole is incredibly reliable, tough and clutch… I won’t hate having him back.

They *could* save money cutting Star but yeah they clearly still value him enough plus Phillips is a UFA so they need a 1 tech on the roster.

To get more speed I would replace Sanders and also get a RB that can be a burner, like a McKinnon type but younger.

Ya my understanding is they can get out of Star and not get killed.
Also I heard the Bean comment on Beasley differently - mentioned "he can still play" a couple times; didn't really sound like a ringing endorsement to me.
WR is probably going to be higher on my list than most. Make JA's life easier. There's almost no difference between the 1st & 12th best defense anymore.

Ya my understanding is they can get out of Star and not get killed.
Also I heard the Bean comment on Beasley differently - mentioned "he can still play" a couple times; didn't really sound like a ringing endorsement to me.
WR is probably going to be higher on my list than most. Make JA's life easier. There's almost no difference between the 1st & 12th best defense anymore.

Yea, I don’t expect them to go the GB/Rodgers path of continually asking him to elevate mid-round picks. At least I hope not. They hit on Davis, but you can’t keep doing that.

Beane also mentioned, again, the need for a consistent running game to help Josh Allen.. obviously the emphasis on “help” because we can’t be unleashing Allen all season like we do in the Playoffs.

Jameson Williams in the slot, once he’s fully healthy, would be absolutely filthy. I’m guessing we go CB at 25, but man….

Goal should be home-field and Bye...no let-downs, no Covid-testing-we-have-no-OL screw-up games.

Above all, create a damn pass rush

Goal should be home-field and Bye...no let-downs, no Covid-testing-we-have-no-OL screw-up games.

Above all, create a damn pass rush

Bills DL was such an enigma. They actually pressure the QB at a high rate, but are at the league bottom in sacks.

Basically.. constant pressure destroys bad QB’s because they aren’t deadly off script. However, against a Mahomes, he just evades it and makes an even bigger play down field.

They need finishers on the DL and Addison/Hughes were the kings of getting pressure but not finishing.

Will it be our year? Here’s hoping…. I mean, we had the number 1 ranked D last year and still couldn’t get it done, alongside 2 incredibly all time playoff performances, with an overall pretty healthy squad (minus tre of course).

Makes you wonder…

Will it be our year? Here’s hoping…. I mean, we had the number 1 ranked D last year and still couldn’t get it done, alongside 2 incredibly all time playoff performances, with an overall pretty healthy squad (minus tre of course).

Makes you wonder…

No Tre White though. It's not like they were missing a depth LB or CB

Makes you wonder…

All you can do is give yourself shots. That’s why I honestly prefer Beane’s approach of sustained success rather than “going for it” because if the Rams don’t win it, they have some difficult decisions to make and next to zero draft picks.

Look at New Orleans and Green Bay. Eventually the bills comes due. I want the next decade to be Buffalo as a contender every year. Do that and the odds are high we break through.

In regards to this past year.. we all knew they weren’t the #1 defense.

Losing an All-Pro Corner really isn’t something that can be quantified. They did a decent job hiding Tre’s loss, but that’s like the Rams losing Ramsey, Niners losing Bosa or Chiefs losing Jones… our defense was built around having a lock down corner on one side. That allows us to do so much more with our safeties and coverage. It’s not a coincidence we went from physical press coverage mixed in heavily in Week 5 Chiefs to solely off man zone coverage in the playoff rematch.

All you can do is give yourself shots. That’s why I honestly prefer Beane’s approach of sustained success rather than “going for it” because if the Rams don’t win it, they have some difficult decisions to make and next to zero draft picks.

Look at New Orleans and Green Bay. Eventually the bills comes due. I want the next decade to be Buffalo as a contender every year. Do that and the odds are high we break through.

In regards to this past year.. we all knew they weren’t the #1 defense.

Losing an All-Pro Corner really isn’t something that can be quantified. They did a decent job hiding Tre’s loss, but that’s like the Rams losing Ramsey, Niners losing Bosa or Chiefs losing Jones… our defense was built around having a lock down corner on one side. That allows us to do so much more with our safeties and coverage. It’s not a coincidence we went from physical press coverage mixed in heavily in Week 5 Chiefs to solely off man zone coverage in the playoff rematch.
All true... and good point about the sustained success. That's hopefully what we can have. Certainly tough to do.

I'd toss Bucs in with Brady. That of course worked out last year for the title. Will see if the Rams can pull a similar move.

I also won't pretend like I know the ins and outs of the salary cap, and he's totally worth it, but we will see how we navigate around the JA contract (again...totally worth it in this sport).

All true... and good point about the sustained success. That's hopefully what we can have. Certainly tough to do.

I'd toss Bucs in with Brady. That of course worked out last year for the title. Will see if the Rams can pull a similar move.
The bill will eventually come due for Tampa too, but they have a lot of their young talent locked up already. As far as SB contenders go, I think they’re positioned decently well.

RE: the Allen extension, I'm not too worried about the salary cap consequences for a few reasons.

1. We just saw how good Allen is this postseason and he's worth every penny obviously. He might even be still underpaid like Mahomes. I would be more worried if I was the Browns or Ravens about paying up for Mayfield or Lamar.
  2. We still have a good amount of draft picks including 1sts. Didn't have to trade a huge package for Allen like the 49ers did for Lance.
  3. The FO has a good eye for talent obviously but they've also been able to find solid starting material players at pretty much no cost (see: Daryl Williams, Ryan Bates, Levi Wallace, etc.)
  4. The cap is going to go up more as COVID gets behind us/the new TV deal kicks in 2023

RE: the Allen extension, I'm not too worried about the salary cap consequences for a few reasons.

1. We just saw how good Allen is this postseason and he's worth every penny obviously. He might even be still underpaid like Mahomes. I would be more worried if I was the Browns or Ravens about paying up for Mayfield or Lamar.
  2. We still have a good amount of draft picks including 1sts. Didn't have to trade a huge package for Allen like the 49ers did for Lance.
  3. The FO has a good eye for talent obviously but they've also been able to find solid starting material players at pretty much no cost (see: Daryl Williams, Ryan Bates, Levi Wallace, etc.)
  4. The cap is going to go up more as COVID gets behind us/the new TV deal kicks in 2023

Agreed. Like it or not, Beane isn’t a “go for it” guy so I don’t see us mortgaging the future to give us a better chance but in a smaller window.

Cap is going to go up to where the Allen/Mahomes contracts aren’t cap destroyers.

I’m a little worried about Edmunds type players. If I had to guess, they are going to pay him, and at some point we need actual game breakers, not just good locker room guys who are above average talents.

I know Beane values depth, but you could make a run at Davante Adams type players for what they will be paying Edmunds/Feliciano/Beasley next year. Would you rather have a game breaker added to the team (not necessarily Adams) or an above average LB, above average Slot and an above average backup IOL? This is where our philosophy seems to differ from the Chiefs.

The QB decisions in the AFC North really shouldn’t be complicated imo. Cleveland should not give Baker a big contract. If it means he walks, so be it. Giving him $40+ mil per year is pretty clearly a recipe for disaster IMO. Baltimore has an MVP caliber QB. They should give him pretty much whatever he wants just like we did with Allen.

Agreed. Like it or not, Beane isn’t a “go for it” guy so I don’t see us mortgaging the future to give us a better chance but in a smaller window.

Cap is going to go up to where the Allen/Mahomes contracts aren’t cap destroyers.

I’m a little worried about Edmunds type players. If I had to guess, they are going to pay him, and at some point we need actual game breakers, not just good locker room guys who are above average talents.

I know Beane values depth, but you could make a run at Davante Adams type players for what they will be paying Edmunds/Feliciano/Beasley next year. Would you rather have a game breaker added to the team (not necessarily Adams) or an above average LB, above average Slot and an above average backup IOL? This is where our philosophy seems to differ from the Chiefs.
Agreed pretty much word for word. I’m definitely worried about the contract that I think we’re going to give Edmunds. As it currently stands though, I like where we are. A good path is laid out in front of us; I’m not really confident we’re going to fully take it but we’ll see.

IMO, Baker and Lamar are apples and oranges. Understood that Lamar has some passing limitations but he is still a generational player and will be for his next contract at least. Baker just is just an average NFL QB at best

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom