Buffalo Bills 2023 Thread | Page 79 | Syracusefan.com

Buffalo Bills 2023 Thread

I get what you're saying, but I'm not sure why anyone would expect this from a team that's already lost to Mac Jones at the gun and Zach Wilson.

I know all the talking heads point to point differential, but it's a bit inflated from playing 3 bad teams in the Raiders with McDaniel, Jets, and Commanders.
It's proven to be a better predictor of future results than record. No idea what "talking heads" you're referring to, all they do is 'sort by record' for their power ratings.

I think 49ers/Eagles are legit but I disagree the NFC is stronger overall. Lions look like a paper tiger, freaking Atlanta or New Orleans will get to host a playoff game, and the Cowboys are the NFC version of the Bills. AFC may not have a strong team at the top but all it takes is one team getting hot to win it all.
I honestly think the Eagles are a Rich man's '22 Vikings. Washington & Dallas moved it at will on them, Jefferson with his touchback fumble, 230yds in KC, the Jets didn't even have their starting CB's.. There's something in the Pennsylvania water, it's just insane how much of a luckbox heater they're on.

I honestly think the Eagles are a Rich man's '22 Vikings. Washington & Dallas moved it at will on them, Jefferson with his touchback fumble, 230yds in KC, the Jets didn't even have their starting CB's.. There's something in the Pennsylvania water, it's just insane how much of a luckbox heater they're on.
The Vikings had a negative point differential. The Eagles are still plus 64 which is good for 7th in the league and they've beat every top team they've faced.

It's proven to be a better predictor of future results than record. No idea what "talking heads" you're referring to, all they do is 'sort by record' for their power ratings.

I think you can take some value to it as I said above, but like the Cowboys it was built on beating garbage teams outside of the Miami game. I get that is what good teams are suppose to do, but after a while when you lose every big game maybe it's more than football luck the reason you are losing.

The Vikings had a negative point differential. The Eagles are still plus 64 which is good for 7th in the league and they've beat every top team they've faced.

I think you can take some value to it as I said above, but like the Cowboys it was built on beating garbage teams outside of the Miami game. I get that is what good teams are suppose to do, but after a while when you lose every big game maybe it's more than football luck the reason you are losing.
Hence Rich Man's, clearly Philly is a good team. I just don't buy them as a cut above the other contenders; Vegas obviously agrees. Getting Miami/Buffalo/Dallas at home so far is a nice also.
I don't even know who you're talking about in the 2nd part, the Bills? "Big games" hasn't really been the problem this yr unless we're doing the retroactive thing where Ls = big games, sure.

I think they're a good team that's also gotten a little lucky

4CC23535-7B55-4CEA-A5A2-3D49B9FC6096.jpeg

Hence Rich Man's, clearly Philly is a good team. I just don't buy them as a cut above the other contenders; Vegas obviously agrees. Getting Miami/Buffalo/Dallas at home so far is a nice also.
I don't even know who you're talking about in the 2nd part, the Bills? "Big games" hasn't really been the problem this yr unless we're doing the retroactive thing where Ls = big games, sure.
You left out the KC victory for Philly on the road. I don't think you can just pass off close wins against tough opponents as luck. Philly is 26-3 in their last 29 games with Jalen Hurts in the lineup. All three losses were last minute Ls including the SB.

At 6-6 the Bills are in a tough spot and the remaining five games are challenging but if they could somehow get into the playoffs they would have a decent shot. Beating KC next week is critical. There is nobody in the AFC that should have a decided advantage over the Bills. KC is just not the same team, particularly on offense. Lamar Jackson never gets it done in the postseason and the rest of the contenders are meh. I know the Bills have flaws but so does everybody else in that conference. The NFC looks a lot stronger imo. It's doable for Buffalo, just going to have to win some tough road games.
You are making the tragic flaw of equating the chance at winning a game with the quality of the team. We have Allen. So we essentially can beat everyone and everyone is scared of us. But we also have McDermott who is horrific at in game managing as well as the generalized bad Bills juju. Don’t hurt yourself with this hope nonsense

Here’s another thing which I find annoyingly stupid and it’s not bugged me just this year.

That is, what kind of bs is it that just because you had a good record last year , you get punished with a schedule of extreme difficulty the next ?

This creates such an uneven playing field given 3 spots are wildcard spots and grossly asymmetrical schedules create a situation where being the better team is often less of a qualification factor than simply what stooges you play?

I get it. Bills played plenty of stooges this year and lost to some. But as a general rule, I think the league should move away from this. They already give bottom feeders a huge competitive advantage by the draft order system. How many crutches do they need? There’s no excuse for being a bad team nfl team year over year given the life hacks the NFL provides bottom dwellers

Here’s another thing which I find annoyingly stupid and it’s not bugged me just this year.

That is, what kind of bs is it that just because you had a good record last year , you get punished with a schedule of extreme difficulty the next ?

This creates such an uneven playing field given 3 spots are wildcard spots and grossly asymmetrical schedules create a situation where being the better team is often less of a qualification factor than simply what stooges you play?

I get it. Bills played plenty of stooges this year and lost to some. But as a general rule, I think the league should move away from this. They already give bottom feeders a huge competitive advantage by the draft order system. How many crutches do they need? There’s no excuse for being a bad team nfl team year over year given the life hacks the NFL provides bottom dwellers
It's been this way forever though. The league is designed to push parity. Only a few teams have found ways to navigate through this year after year.

It's been this way forever though. The league is designed to push parity. Only a few teams have found ways to navigate through this year after year.

It also helps create good matchups. Everyone complains about the primetime matchups every year but they would be worse if they changed the scheduling format to something else

They have Josh Allen. He could run 50 yards and get them into FG range in one play. You knew OT was a loss. We all knew
Or he could throw an awful pick or fumble, which is known to happen. This year more than ever. The spot to try and win the game was 1st and 10 at the eagles 26 in OT, At that point I am using all 4 downs to try and continue to get a TD because a field goal isn't going to get it done. Winning the coin toss was a gift and they should have gone for the win there once they were pretty much in the red zone. The game was over once the Bills kicked the field goal in OT and everybody knew it.

Either way it all sucked and i had zero doubt that the 59 yarder was going in as well, would have been shocked if it didn't.

It's just been a disaster and just so sick of it. I mean only way the Bills win that game after that OT field goal is a miracle from Milano ( obviously not going to happen) or a Hyde/Poyer play from year 2020. Those guys are all shadows of their former selves, which happens but still. Miller is a corpse now too

Last edited:
Or he could throw an awful pick or fumble, which is known to happen. This year more than ever. The spot to try and win the game was 1st and 10 at the eagles 26 in OT, At that point I am using all 4 downs to try and continue to get a TD because a field goal isn't going to get it done. Winning the coin toss was a gift and they should have gone for the win there once they were pretty much in the red zone. The game was over once the Bills kicked the field goal in OT and everybody knew it.

Either way it all sucked and i had zero doubt that the 59 yarder was going in as well, would have been shocked if it didn't.

It's just been a disaster and just so sick of it. I mean only way the Bills win that game after that OT field goal is a miracle from Milano ( obviously not going to happen) or a Hyde/Poyer play from year 2020. Those guys are all shadows of their former selves, which happens but still. Miller is a corpse now too
Playing miller at this point is falling for the sunk cost fallacy. They feel they paid him so he must play some. He’s killing us whenever hes out there . A hungry rando practice squad dude would be better

It’s not really parity . It’s the illusion of it and results in fake playoff teams they get jibronied

Playing miller at this point is falling for the sunk cost fallacy. They feel they paid him so he must play some. He’s killing us whenever hes out there . A hungry rando practice squad dude would be better
Can't foresee injury but what a horrible injury. He was doing exactly what we signed him for last year. These last minute drives are exactly why he's on the team. So typical he gets hurt.

Unbelievable how different today feels if we hold on, 7-5 going into bye, in playoffs. If we don't leave all those points in regulation, if the 59 yarder misses, if Gabe turns the other way, if D gets a freaking stop.

It’s not really parity . It’s the illusion of it and results in fake playoff teams they get jibronied
I think this year and in most years the cream is rising to the top. Pittsburgh is likely a fake playoff team, but the QB position in the AFC has been decimated by injury(Burrow, Rodgers, Watson) so you were always going to get an unlikely playoff team or two in the conference. In the NFC it feels like the right teams are winning. The NFC south being forced to have someone in there hurts the quality, but they aren't the first division to have a suck representative over the years.

Unbelievable how different today feels if we hold on, 7-5 going into bye, in playoffs. If we don't leave all those points in regulation, if the 59 yarder misses, if Gabe turns the other way, if D gets a freaking stop.
Driving with a 10 point lead after the eagles 3 and out to open the second half…first and 10 from the 30. It was over right there if we score. Eagles were ready to fly south .

agree 100%, they should just sit him and maybe he can at least contribute something next year

You are making the tragic flaw of equating the chance at winning a game with the quality of the team. We have Allen. So we essentially can beat everyone and everyone is scared of us. But we also have McDermott who is horrific at in game managing as well as the generalized bad Bills juju. Don’t hurt yourself with this hope nonsense
Well I'm an Eagles fan so I'm not gonna sweat the Bills fate too much. But speaking of hope I do feel not all hope is lost for Buffalo. NFL fans have a tendency to be early when concluding a team's fate is sealed. Plenty of football left to be played.

Only loss by more than 1 score in regular season in 3 years was that Indy game at home.

Why I'm actually torn about moving on from McDermott, they've been in almost every game since 2020. Just maddening they can't put it together consistently

Why I'm actually torn about moving on from McDermott, they've been in almost every game since 2020. Just maddening they can't put it together consistently

The problem is that there are tons of one possession games in the NFL, especially in the playoffs. If you're losing so many of them consistently, it's a reflection on the coaching.

The problem is that there are tons of one possession games in the NFL, especially in the playoffs. If you're losing so many of them consistently, it's a reflection on the coaching.

There are and the Bills are losing close games too much, but I don't think they're losing that many close games if that makes sense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom