Buffalo Bills 2023 Thread | Page 81 | Syracusefan.com

Buffalo Bills 2023 Thread

If Allen had advanced the ball more than a few feet then grounding wouldn't have been called but he didn't get it anywhere near Davis' feet. Allen was on about the 16 yard line when he let go of the ball. Davis was on the ten yard line and the throw barely passed the 15 yard line. The horse collar was missed and a few PIs weren't called on Philly that should have been called. Overall Philly clearly got more calls their way than Buffalo. But the grounding call wasn't one of them imo.

There is also a difference between a QB that is upright quickly aborting a screen with a throw at the intended receiver's feet and a QB inches from getting sacked who wildly dumps the ball on the ground.

The pass has to be "in the direction of and lands in the vicinity of an originally eligible receiver." There is no specified distance (3 or 5 yards) stated in the NFL rule.

Either it's currently too subjective, or they simply blew the call:

Snap3.png

Allen was out of the pocket and being dragged down by a horse collar tackle. That should qualify as having "his passing motion significantly affected by physical contact from a defensive player that causes the ball to land short of the line of scrimmage."

Common sense says the outcome of that play should've been a Bills first down or offsetting penalties at worst. Bills still had plenty of chances to win after this play but those officials had a bizarro interpretation of how that play unfolded.

The pass has to be "in the direction of and lands in the vicinity of an originally eligible receiver." There is no specified distance (3 or 5 yards) stated in the NFL rule.

Either it's currently too subjective, or they simply blew the call:

View attachment 234122

Allen was out of the pocket and being dragged down by a horse collar tackle. That should qualify as having "his passing motion significantly affected by physical contact from a defensive player that causes the ball to land short of the line of scrimmage."

Common sense says the outcome of that play should've been a Bills first down or offsetting penalties at worst. Bills still had plenty of chances to win after this play but those officials had a bizarro interpretation of how that play unfolded.
Allen was so restricted that all he could do was sorta just drop the ball on the ground. Seems like a judgment call. Def don't think a grounding call was way out of line there. Certainly far less egregious than the missed horse collar. FWIW Blandino said it was definitely grounding and also a missed horse collar.

Another strange aspect of this play - as explained by Blandino - is that a defender can tackle a QB in the pocket via horse collar and there is no foul as long as the QB not outside the pocket. So that play would have been legal if it were a few yards closer to the middle of the field. Makes no sense. Another strange NFL rule.

Another strange aspect of this play - as explained by Blandino - is that a defender can tackle a QB in the pocket via horse collar and there is no foul as long as the QB not outside the pocket. So that play would have been legal if it were a few yards closer to the middle of the field. Makes no sense. Another strange NFL rule.

It’s nuts that a horse collar tackle can be legal depending on the player (QB) and location (in the pocket).

Complete idiocy.

They should make that far simpler to adjudicate.

And a personal foul (face mask, helmet to helmet, horse collar, etc) should automatically negate any resulting intentional grounding.

If Allen had advanced the ball more than a few feet then grounding wouldn't have been called but he didn't get it anywhere near Davis' feet. Allen was on about the 16 yard line when he let go of the ball. Davis was on the ten yard line and the throw barely passed the 15 yard line. The horse collar was missed and a few PIs weren't called on Philly that should have been called. Overall Philly clearly got more calls their way than Buffalo. But the grounding call wasn't one of them imo.

There is also a difference between a QB that is upright quickly aborting a screen with a throw at the intended receiver's feet and a QB inches from getting sacked who wildly dumps the ball on the ground.

All's fair, but please.

It's NOT grounding, if you're being Horse-Collared, that's simply not how this works.

Please, we've been EXCEPTIONALLLY gracious about the absurd, one-sided, 10-1 1H officiating that kept Philly in the game (after being called for ZERO against the Dolphins).

There is film showing the Eagles Center flashing the ball committing false starts all over the Internet, none of it called, whatever, we're not being too difficult about that, we as Bills fans get it.

But PLEASE don't suggest that if you're being HORSE-COLLARED an honest referee (which we didn't have, but if) would call a Grounding penalty.

Good grief, sorry, had enough.

It’s nuts that a horse collar tackle can be legal depending on the player (QB) and location (in the pocket).

Complete idiocy.

And a personal foul (face mask, helmet to helmet, horse collar, etc) should automatically negate any resulting intentional grounding.

I think if you touch a QB in this way anyway, it's roughing.

Unless it's Josh Allen, of course.

All's fair, but please.

It's NOT grounding, if you're being Horse-Collared, that's simply not how this works.

Please, we've been EXCEPTIONALLLY gracious about the absurd, one-sided, 10-1 1H officiating that kept Philly in the game (after being called for ZERO against the Dolphins).

There is film showing the Eagles Center flashing the ball committing false starts all over the Internet, none of it called, whatever, we're not being too difficult about that, we as Bills fans get it.

But PLEASE don't suggest that if you're being HORSE-COLLARED an honest referee (which we didn't have, but if) would call a Grounding penalty.

Good grief, sorry, had enough.
And I've acknowledged the missed calls and tried to be gracious about it myself. Sometimes though there is an inordinate focus on officiating and simple facts like missing two FGs, giving up 30 points in the 2H/OT and missing a wide open guy in the end zone for the game winner get lost in the sauce. The Bills played a solid game in many ways but they had numerous chances to put the game away and couldn't do it.

Here are a few more examples of poor officiating. This dude should have had his @ss thrown out of the game. Several dirty shots with no reaction from the refs.

And I've acknowledged the missed calls and tried to be gracious about it myself. Sometimes though there is an inordinate focus on officiating and simple facts like missing two FGs, giving up 30 points in the 2H/OT and missing a wide open guy in the end zone for the game winner get lost in the sauce. The Bills played a solid game in many ways but they had numerous chances to put the game away and couldn't do it.

Here are a few more examples of poor officiating. This dude should have had his @ss thrown out of the game. Several dirty shots with no reaction from the refs.

This whole thread is about stuff the Bills should've been done better. You're probably the reason there isn't even more of it lately.
I resisted the urge to post what he did but Bro, seriously. A cursory disclaimer of a 2014 Michigan style ref job followed by 8 posts still going 4 days later - defending a singular dumb call that never gets made - in a Bills thread - is anything but gracious. Most every neutral observer thinks you got a gift all game long, not just Bills/Cowboys fans. Just take it and move on. JFC

Complete idiocy.

It's moronic stuff.

Kelce false started on the play. Could be why Phillips went offsides

Not to make light of the Miller DV issue, but maybe his contract can be voided ?

Not to make light of the Miller DV issue, but maybe his contract can be voided ?
Would be a dream but don't think it's an option. All of the bonus money already paid would just accelerate the same as if he was cut I think.

This whole thread is about stuff the Bills should've been done better. You're probably the reason there isn't even more of it lately.
I resisted the urge to post what he did but Bro, seriously. A cursory disclaimer of a 2014 Michigan style ref job followed by 8 posts still going 4 days later - defending a singular dumb call that never gets made - in a Bills thread - is anything but gracious. Most every neutral observer thinks you got a gift all game long, not just Bills/Cowboys fans. Just take it and move on. JFC
Help me out here. What's the singular dumb call that never gets made?

Kelce false started on the play. Could be why Phillips went offsides
Sam no offense but you are next level when it comes to complaining about officiating. I show you several personal foul worthy dirty plays by Jordan Phillips and your response is it was Kelce's fault. lol

I have my doubts as to the report’s veracity. It would require Miller to actually catch up to someone to assault them

Sam no offense but you are next level when it comes to complaining about officiating. I show you several personal foul worthy dirty plays by Jordan Phillips and your response is it was Kelce's fault. lol
Kelce whined about the Phillips roughhousing, and called for Phillips to be fined (I don't know the last time I heard a player request that a fellow player be fined). I simply pointed out that Kelce committed a false start on the play on which Phillips - who is an idiot- was called for being offsides. Not sure why you're so bothered by this.

Kelce whined about the Phillips roughhousing, and called for Phillips to be fined (I don't know the last time I heard a player request that a fellow player be fined). I simply pointed out that Kelce committed a false start on the play on which Phillips - who is an idiot- was called for being offsides. Not sure why you're so bothered by this.
The play happened right in front of where I was sitting although instant replay confirmed what I saw live. It looked very intentional, just like several other plays by Phillips during the game. Kelce was just properly calling the idiot out. Not sure what you're talking about re Kelce and a false start. Phillips was out of control all game long. The NFL is a brotherhood and they don't take kindly to reckless acts that can affect players' health and livelihoods. Game is violent enough as is without resorting to those tactics.

ley me just say this about the "brotherly shove". i watched a game where jason kelce joined the announcers in the booth and he described what it's like being under about 5 or six lineman who weigh 300+ each. not pleasant. to me it looks like a major injury waiting to happen. matter of time.very dangerous play.
secondly if they are going to allow the offense to push a stopped runner forward for 5 more yards then get rid of the FORWARD PROGRESS rule altogether and allow the Defense to drive a runner back 5 yards after contact.
seems only fair.

The play happened right in front of where I was sitting although instant replay confirmed what I saw live. It looked very intentional, just like several other plays by Phillips during the game. Kelce was just properly calling the idiot out. Not sure what you're talking about re Kelce and a false start. Phillips was out of control all game long. The NFL is a brotherhood and they don't take kindly to reckless acts that can affect players' health and livelihoods. Game is violent enough as is without resorting to those tactics.

Lol @ the bolded - how many 'accidental' headshots do you see every game?

ley me just say this about the "brotherly shove". i watched a game where jason kelce joined the announcers in the booth and he described what it's like being under about 5 or six lineman who weigh 300+ each. not pleasant. to me it looks like a major injury waiting to happen. matter of time.very dangerous play.
secondly if they are going to allow the offense to push a stopped runner forward for 5 more yards then get rid of the FORWARD PROGRESS rule altogether and allow the Defense to drive a runner back 5 yards after contact.
seems only fair.
If the eagles going to keep running that play they are going to have to deal with the consequences of teams trying different things to thwart it. This includes the occasional player trying to time the hell out of the play and leaving early. Tough . Deal with it or stop running the play

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom