But the Freshman QB doesn’t understand the offense | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

But the Freshman QB doesn’t understand the offense

Such a short sighted view. Rex’s decision was insanely bad, but to apply that to another QB’s ability to absorb the playbook. Ridiculous take.
Which of Rex’s decisions in the last minute were you referring to as insanely bad? Was it the time he tried to throw it away and instead threw it into the hands of a NC State player? Was it his Nunesian scramble left and right wasting precious seconds on the clock? Ah, most likely you’re referring to the spike on 4th down that would be hard to excuse if he was a freshman and not a multi year senior. While Dino and his staff deserve to be criticized, I can’t put that on the staff.

What happened to all the guys on here excited about Gilbert and his offense???

I'm still on board. I have no idea if he's good enough based on this weird-arse year.

Also, it takes extra special dedication to be a fan of USF and post here about an old OC. Kudos to you sir.

Rex's ability to run the offense has nothing to do with making bonehead decisions in the process of a play. Im just as mad as anyone with the staff and season but at some point you guys have to learn to direct the blame at the right places. Your frustration is warranted but where some of you direct your frustration towards confuses me. The reason why we were in a single possession game is because he knows the offense. His deficiencies showed throughout the game but the last two plays hurts us more because we could have won.

Last edited:
What happened to all the guys on here excited about Gilbert and his offense???
That's a great question. Not sure what his offense is but is seems like what we have seen the last five years.

Those last 2 plays is signs of a poorly coached team. A senior made freshman mistakes so why not play the freshman
How specifically is a senior backup QB making mistakes under pressure a sign of a poorly coached team?
Are you including the defense in that blanket statement? How about special teams?

It’s a sign of lack of game experience on the part of the QB.

There may be plenty of other issues to base your claim on, but I don’t think it’s in those last two plays.

How specifically is a senior backup QB making mistakes under pressure a sign of a poorly coached team?
Are you including the defense in that blanket statement? How about special teams?

It’s a sign of lack of game experience on the part of the QB.

There may be plenty of other issues to base your claim on, but I don’t think it’s in those last two plays.
Who coached the senior qb? Who put him out there? Do you ever see the Alabama or Clemson qbs spike the ball on 4th down?

Who coached the senior qb? Who put him out there? Do you ever see the Alabama or Clemson qbs spike the ball on 4th down?
Seriously? Is that something that needs to be coached and how do you know it wasn’t?
Even Tom Brady mistook a 4th down for 3rd down this year. It happens.

Seriously? Is that something that needs to be coached and how do you know it wasn’t?
Even Tom Brady mistook a 4th down for 3rd down this year. It happens.
Spiking the ball on 4th down doesn't happened, I think Rutgers did it once, its something you rarely if ever see. Yes Brady forgot what down it was, but he still threw the ball down the field, he didn't spike it.

Spiking the ball on 4th down doesn't happened, I think Rutgers did it once, its something you rarely if ever see. Yes Brady forgot what down it was, but he still threw the ball down the field, he didn't spike it.
But it did happen and unfortunately it’s on Rex.

I didn’t blame the NC State coaching staff when their QB threw the ball backwards through their end zone. That poor decision, like Rex’s final poor decision, was on him.

I remember a well coached Syracuse basketball team calling a time out they didn't have and it cost them a big time NCAA run. Things happen.
Exactly. That was on Moten.

But it did happen and unfortunately it’s on Rex.
Yes it is and its something he will always be remember for unfortunately. Rex should not be starting at this point, we should have a young qb ready to go.

if you cant block you cant run 80% of the playbook as designed.
Lets see power runs no. sweeps no. zone reads no.. QB runs, no depth..
OK so lets throw every down. pass blocking Barely. Deep throws no time. roll outs, QBs struggle, blitz protection no chance..
So now all the HC on the board call the offense that rolls down the field..

We need to run enough to set up some shot plays.. And you know what it worked.. we hit 1 and had the 2nd dropped.. that changes the end to a FG for the win.

with a team of FR everywhere we took BC and NC st to the end. we took NC/Clem/duke to the 4th

its not a great leap forward to win 2-3 of those games with just a small bit of Better QB play..

QB's have been taught to throw the ball to prevent a sack from day 1 of little league. You never forget that natural logic. Blame the play selection, the hesitation getting the call in, the losing culture or whatever but not the decision making under pressure. We don't give credit to coaches when a player makes a play out of nothing. The spike was bad. Its just hard to believe that no one on the field or sideline yelled or signaled him it was forth down. He could have at least got a play off and threw it to the endzone.

Last edited:
the play before is where he had to be prepared.. if X happens I need to do Y.. last thing in the huddle had to be the same message to everyone.. yet half the guys didnt hustle back thinking it was over.. blame Rex for that part but he wasnt the only one who messed up on that play.

Yes, you can't forget what Tom Brady did a few weeks ago against the Bears.

He lost track of the down.

If the GOAT can do it, Rex Culpepper can do it.

"Spiking the ball on 4th down doesn't happen"

Actually, that's not true.

See Tom Brady a few weeks ago against the Bears?

If the GOAT can do it, Rex Culpepper can do it.
He didn't spike the ball he threw it down the field, not nearly as bad.

He didn't spike the ball he threw it down the field, not nearly as bad.

Yes, you're right.

I corrected my post.

But, the point is that both lost track of the down.

The best to ever play the position made essentially the same mistake.

It's maddening but it happens.

Yes, you're right.

I corrected my post.

But, the point is that both lost track of the down.

The best to ever play the position made essentially the same mistake.

It's maddening but it happens.
Just for giggles I googled it, Rex comes up first, than the Rutgers kid, an Fau kid it in 2013. and the Detroit Lions did it in a playoff game in 1997.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom