But the Freshman QB doesn’t understand the offense | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

But the Freshman QB doesn’t understand the offense

I'm still on board. I have no idea if he's good enough based on this weird-arse year.

Also, it takes extra special dedication to be a fan of USF and post here about an old OC. Kudos to you sir.

I agree. We've had some rough decades lol.

Def a strange year but man 250 yards a game????

I'm up here now and follow Cuse and man is it hard to watch his play calling again.

Dude that may be how you remember him but I will remember him for a kid that beat cancer at 19 and could RIP off a Eddie Van Halen riff on video in homage.

Me too!

That play is over and forgotten.

He didn't spike the ball he threw it down the field, not nearly as bad.
It's the same thing. The decision to do what was done was because the player lost track of the down. It doesn't matter what the player decided to do that failed.

It's the same thing. The decision to do what was done was because the player lost track of the down. It doesn't matter what the player decided to do that failed.
It really isn't Brady at least threw the ball down the field and gave his team a chance.

Dude that may be how you remember him but I will remember him for a kid that beat cancer at 19 and could RIP off a Eddie Van Halen riff on video in homage.

Exactly. 5 years down the road, I will always remember Rex overcoming cancer. I seriously doubt I remember this one play in a season that's been one big mess. Heck I barely remember specific plays of the GRob era - just that it was one big mess, like this season.

Yes here is the recruiting thread. I'm sure there are some great takes in there

Looking at this for the first time. He really had offers from the following?:

Florida, Clemson, Miami, Mississippi State, NC State, Ohio State, Virginia, Virginia Tech, West Virginia

Looking at this for the first time. He really had offers from the following?:

Florida, Clemson, Miami, Mississippi State, NC State, Ohio State, Virginia, Virginia Tech, West Virginia

He's the son of a NFL player. Good frame, football family. Lots of early interest from big names.

It really isn't Brady at least threw the ball down the field and gave his team a chance.
No it is very similar. Brady gave up a first down pass that would have continued the game and instead threw into tight coverage downfield and ended the possession. With a first down they could have kicked a field goal at a minimum for the win. In both cases the poor decision, that was made based on thinking it was third down and not fourth, ended the possession and basically the game.

No it is very similar. Brady gave up a first down pass that would have continued the game and instead threw into tight coverage downfield and ended the possession. With a first down they could have kicked a field goal at a minimum for the win. In both cases the poor decision, that was made based on thinking it was third down and not fourth, ended the possession and basically the game.
He still gave his team a chance, there was a chance of that pass being completed, there is none when you spike the ball.

History books everywhere are pumping their fists that 900 straight carries from one yard against Iowa have been replaced by this.
Okay it wasn’t 900.

If anyone wants a laugh and a cry here you go. Note the color guy absolutely trashing us with good reason. Robinson should have been fired before he left the dome.

He still gave his team a chance, there was a chance of that pass being completed, there is none when you spike the ball.
It wasn’t the play he would have made if he knew the correct down and it lost them the game.
Brady had more time to work with so he didn’t need to spike the ball.

It wasn’t the play he would have made if he knew the correct down and it lost them the game.
Brady had more time to work with so he didn’t need to spike the ball.
Its still better than spiking the ball. There was 38 seconds and no time outs and about 25 more yards to get in fg range getting the ball down the field is the right play.

Brian for some reason my man you just have a penchant for seeing the negative and focusing on that and your a teacher? Yeesh. Let's put it this way, you are going to remember exactly what you want to remember about this young man.

Brian for some reason my man you just have a penchant for seeing the negative and focusing on that and your a teacher? Yeesh. Let's put it this way, you are going to remember exactly what you want to remember about this young man.
Again with the negative stuff, what do you want me to say, spiking the ball on 4th down was a good thing? All Su fans are going to remember Rex for beating Cancer, the college football fan will remember this.

Gilbert has done NOTHING to keep his job. I don’t see how they keep him. At least Cav can recruit his ass off.
Over on the Husker forums, they're saying the oline cupboard was left bare.

A properly smoked brisket goes a long way...:p

Okay it wasn’t 900.

If anyone wants a laugh and a cry here you go. Note the color guy absolutely trashing us with good reason. Robinson should have been fired before he left the dome.

I still believe we scored on the last 2nd and 10. Watch the replay at the 4:30 mark. Watch the far side judge go a yard deep into the endzone and watch Fiametta's arm in relationship to the goal line. That nose of the ball touched that goal line at the very least.

Last edited:
Its still better than spiking the ball. There was 38 seconds and no time outs and about 25 more yards to get in fg range getting the ball down the field is the right play.
It was still a mistake that cost them the game and no it wasn’t the right play. You get the first down continue the game.

Edit: This year Brady is 14 of 58 for passes traveling at least 21 yards in the air.

Last edited:
It was still a mistake that cost them the game and no it wasn’t the right play. You get the first down continue the game.

Edit: This year Brady is 14 of 58 for passes traveling at least 21 yards in the air.
It didn't cost them the game, they needed 25-30 yards to get into field goal range, Soldier field on grass at night is not an easy fg. Look at the replay if he hits the guy at the first down marker he gets tackled the clock runs down to 20-25 seconds, it doesn't get you much. You need big chunk plays there.

But he doesn't choose a low percentage throw if he knows what down it is.

It didn't cost them the game, they needed 25-30 yards to get into field goal range, Soldier field on grass at night is not an easy fg. Look at the replay if he hits the guy at the first down marker he gets tackled the clock runs down to 20-25 seconds, it doesn't get you much. You need big chunk plays there.
20-25 seconds is another 3-4 plays in a hurry up. You get the first down, clock it on the next play and you have plenty of time to get closer for a field goal. Maybe they don't win if they get that first down. His decision made it certain they wouldn't win. And he's a HOF QB, not a college back up.

But he doesn't choose a low percentage throw if he knows what down it is.
Maybe not but Spiking the ball gives you a zero percent chance of winning, Brady's throw maybe 30 pct.

20-25 seconds is another 3-4 plays in a hurry up. You get the first down, clock it on the next play and you have plenty of time to get closer for a field goal. Maybe they don't win if they get that first down. His decision made it certain they wouldn't win. And he's a HOF QB, not a college back up.
Their chances of winning were slim, looking at the play again that play gets them to about the 45 with 20 seconds most likely. At some point you need to take risks down the field and Tom did.

That's on Dino if your Freshman QB isn't prepared to play by game 10. This isn't the 1980's. True Freshman play and start all over the country. If he isn't good enough then he shouldn't have been recruited. Rex shouldn't even have played this game.

No question.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom