But the Freshman QB doesn’t understand the offense | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

But the Freshman QB doesn’t understand the offense

It didn't cost them the game, they needed 25-30 yards to get into field goal range, Soldier field on grass at night is not an easy fg. Look at the replay if he hits the guy at the first down marker he gets tackled the clock runs down to 20-25 seconds, it doesn't get you much. You need big chunk plays there.
Brady made a mistake and it cost them a chance to win the game, just like Rex. You are trying to split hairs. It wasn’t the right call and it ended the game right there. You don’t need to get all those yards in one play.

Brady made a mistake and it cost them a chance to win the game, just like Rex. You are trying to split hairs. It wasn’t the right call and it ended the game right there. You don’t need to get all those yards in one play.
Its not splitting hairs its two completely different plays, spiking the ball gives you zero percent chance of winning, even a bad pass can be completed. Had Rex dropped back and thrown the ball into triple coverage and it got taken back for a td it wouldn't have been as bad as spiking the ball.

Its not splitting hairs its two completely different plays, spiking the ball gives you zero percent chance of winning, even a bad pass can be completed. Had Rex dropped back and thrown the ball into triple coverage and it got taken back for a td it wouldn't have been as bad as spiking the ball.
You’re missing the main point that both QBs made the wrong play because they thought it was 3rd down not 4th. You are just giving Brady a pass. Brady would have done the same as Rex if his game was in the same situation.

You’re missing the main point that both QBs made the wrong play because they thought it was 3rd down not 4th. You are just giving Brady a pass. Brady would have done the same as Rex if his game was in the same situation.
Your missing the point that there is a huge difference between what the two qbs did. Brady is not spiking the ball on 4th down, I know that. I am not a Brady defender by any mean I am kind of enjoying see him human and throwing some ints.

Your missing the point that there is a huge difference between what the two qbs did. Brady is not spiking the ball on 4th down, I know that. I am not a Brady defender by any mean I am kind of enjoying see him human and throwing some ints.
Simply put, they both ended the game by not knowing the correct down.
Yeah sure, Brady looked better doing it, but the outcome was the same.

Watch the play again, its single coverage, he makes a bad throw, the idea isn't terrible, you need 30 yards with 38 seconds to get into fg range.

Brady threw a lower percentage pass because he thought he had another down. Its two different situations but they both thought they had another down. Its that simple. I’m a big Pats and Brady fan. I’ve watch him make the right decision and throw for so many years. For me, that was more disappointing to see.

For Rex, I felt bad for him but I wasn’t totally surprised he did it because of his inexperience and lack of awareness I’ve seen from him. Just prior to that play he was running around like he didn’t know what was going on and took a sack. I think he blacked out.

Watch the play again, its single coverage, he makes a bad throw, the idea isn't terrible, you need 30 yards with 38 seconds to get into fg range.
All these scenarios and hypotheticals. TB didn’t realize it was fourth down man. Lol

Last edited:
All these scenarios and hypotheticals. TB didn’t realize it was forth down man. Lol
I get it and people love trolling Tom because he has 6 titles and everything has gone right for him. I am just talking about one not being as bad as the other. Had Rex forgot what down it was and threw the worst int you have ever seen it wouldn't be as bad as the spike.

Okay it wasn’t 900.

If anyone wants a laugh and a cry here you go. Note the color guy absolutely trashing us with good reason. Robinson should have been fired before he left the dome.

I wish we had just kicked a field goal on 4th down. It would have been less embarrassing.

Their chances of winning were slim, looking at the play again that play gets them to about the 45 with 20 seconds most likely. At some point you need to take risks down the field and Tom did.
Not on 4th down. Pick up the first down, then take a risk. There was plenty of time. He just screwed up and it's less acceptable for a 20 year professional than a backup college player that has never been in that situation before. That's the main point.

That's on Dino if your Freshman QB isn't prepared to play by game 10. This isn't the 1980's. True Freshman play and start all over the country. If he isn't good enough then he shouldn't have been recruited. Rex shouldn't even have played this game.
No question.
Do they start behind an OL with 7 scholarship players, one that has played FB most of his career here? Black and white isn't so black and white when you look at it. You can keep saying this over and over but we don't play in a vacuum. Our offense is crap, our line is so patchworked together that we apparently almost didn't even have a season. Limited fall practice due to sit-outs and an entire offense learning a new system? Sorry but to assume a true frosh should just step up into that position is ignoring the reality of our locker room. Fool's gold at best.

Again with the negative stuff, what do you want me to say, spiking the ball on 4th down was a good thing? All Su fans are going to remember Rex for beating Cancer, the college football fan will remember this.
I am a fan and season ticket holder and could give a crap that the young man made a dumb play in a game that doesn’t mean anything for this season. Since you are hardcore fan are you going to remember all the other bad plays also? And yeah the negative stuff...you know why? Because 90% of the posts you make are negative. It’s either ”we suck” or “we are gonna lose” or you name it dude. Just about everything you post about is negative. No as a fan you don’t need Orange glasses and yes I get it that the end of the game was frustrating. You say that the young man will be only remembered for one thing and you can choose what that is. It’s clear as day how you think though dude because it shows every time you type something. Well time for me to use ignore, no sense talking about it further. Enjoy being negative every day man. Peace.

Last edited:
I get it and people love trolling Tom because he has 6 titles and everything has gone right for him. I am just talking about one not being as bad as the other. Had Rex forgot what down it was and threw the worst int you have ever seen it wouldn't be as bad as the spike.
I agree with you that the spike on fourth down does look worse because he is throwing it to the ground. Tom was at least throwing it down field to a Wr. So spiking it is worse than a throw. The expectations magnifies the situation. People watched Tom make game winning decisions for 20 years. He's a assassin under pressure so Its more surprising to see him not know the situation. A 5th year back up QB on a 1-9 team freezing under pressure is not as shocking to me.

It's not trolling. It's pointing out that a HOFer did it so we shouldn't be so hard on a college athlete.

Rex has been through more than we can ever imagine. That being said, I will remember that spike for a long time. Mainly with a smirk, it was the perfect size olive for this martini of a season. However, is that the only thing I will remember about Rex? Absolutely not. Kid has character and commitment. I will remember him for 5 years of going above and beyond to help this football team in any way possible(sidenote: thanks to OE for correcting me on his stint at TE a while back, it was def not the Arob moment I remembered it to be). I will remember him for his charisma, Trevor look-a-likes, my wife's fascination with his father's backside, and as meaningless as it was, a spring game TD after coming back from cancer that had his teammates practically carry him off the field(or maybe they did, i'm getting old and can't remember exactly).

PS. I watched my horrible Detroit Lions actually win a game this year because a RB forgot the game situation and scored giving the ball back to the Lions. If had downed it at the 1, they could have run out the clock for a win. Instead he ends up realizing 1/2 a second too late, scored, gave the ball back and cost his team the game. That was a seasoned professional not named TB. Shite happens.

To be fair, I still think Tom Brady faked that he didn’t know what down it was because he made such a terrible play

To be fair, I still think Tom Brady faked that he didn’t know what down it was because he made such a terrible play
Anything is possible, I have always been of the belief that a mental error is far worse than a physical one. The guy is 43 years old he's been in the nfl for 20 years now, he is going to miss throws.

Anything is possible, I have always been of the belief that a mental error is far worse than a physical one. The guy is 43 years old he's been in the nfl for 20 years now, he is going to miss throws.
It was still a mental error. You don't throw that pass if you know it's 4th down or you don't know it's 4th down.

It was still a mental error. You don't throw that pass if you know it's 4th down or you don't know it's 4th down.
Like I said before your 25-30 yards from fg range you need a couple big chunks. Had Tom dumped it down for 5 yards and the Bucs ran out of time and didn't get in fg range he gets killed for that.

When I think back on Rex Culpepper, I won’t be thinking about a 4th down spike in a 2-9 season.

I’ll think about a charismatic, hard working young man that beat incredible odds.

And this isn’t BS, it’s just what I’ll remember most.

When I think back on Rex Culpepper, I won’t be thinking about a 4th down spike in a 2-9 season.

I’ll think about a charismatic, hard working young man that beat incredible odds.

And this isn’t BS, it’s just what I’ll remember most.
Well said.

The rest is indeed, BS.

I am a fan and season ticket holder and could give a crap that the young man made a dumb play in a game that doesn’t mean anything for this season. Since you are hardcore fan are you going to remember all the other bad plays also? And yeah the negative stuff...you know why? Because 90% of the posts you make are negative. It’s either ”we suck” or “we are gonna lose” or you name it dude. Just about everything you post about is negative. No as a fan you don’t need Orange glasses and yes I get it that the end of the game was frustrating. You say that the young man will be only remembered for one thing and you can choose what that is. It’s clear as day how you think though dude because it shows every time you type something. Well time for me to use ignore, no sense talking about it further. Enjoy being negative every day man. Peace.
That couldnt be farther from the truth. You just choose to nitpick posts to help your case. We are 1-9 this year so yes the negative posts are going to be there. I don't know how many more times I can tell you how much I admire Rex. I don't control what myself or others will remember . I will remember him surviving cancer and being a great kid and the play. 75 pct of college football fans probably never heard of Rex before sat. The play has been all over Twitter and social media and on ESPN countdown.

Players aren’t robots, we have such a distorted view of players and games. It’s amazing how many people played a sport and still think games/player performance/etc should be near flawless.

This was a colossal mistake by Rex but who cares. He’s playing as hard as he has the physical tools to. I’m more passed at the WR’s barely attempting to get back to the line with time running down. That’s something to actually be p*ssed about and is inexcusable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom