Buzz Williams to A&M | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Buzz Williams to A&M

Well they? Wasn't their offer to Cal LESS than he's making now?

They offered him like $8m a year over 6. Pretty difficult for a school to outbid $9+

Wife is heading to A&M this fall. Pretty excited about watching Jimbo and Buzz for a couple years. Could be a lot worse.

Rumor is Willard leaves Seton Hall for Va Tech.

Wife is heading to A&M this fall. Pretty excited about watching Jimbo and Buzz for a couple years. Could be a lot worse.

How'd you like the Dixie Chicken?

I have less than zero idea whether Bennett would go to UCLA. There is one strong argument against it though, their treatment of Ben Howland. He did just about everything right for them except win a championship and then they fired him. I would have to think that would enter into his decision process. It's also not too far fetched to think that the UCLA fanbase would have a different reaction to our NCAAT results than we did. But that's that's a part of the Ben Howland stuff, too.

I have less than zero idea whether Bennett would go to UCLA. There is one strong argument against it though, their treatment of Ben Howland. He did just about everything right for them except win a championship and then they fired him. I would have to think that would enter into his decision process. It's also not too far fetched to think that the UCLA fanbase would have a different reaction to our NCAAT results than we did. But that's that's a part of the Ben Howland stuff, too.

I agree with everything you said and would add that Howland's antics made it easier for UCLA's outdated expectations to can him.

I don't see Tony Bennett leaving UVA. I certainly don't see him wearing out his welcome (ala Howland) regardless of where he coaches. Too classy.

This is great news for us, thought his teams always played us tough and he seemed to have our number. Didn’t like him at Marquette, didn’t like him at VT love him at A&M unless we have to play them in the tournament

I hope he doesn’t go to UCLA and I wish buzz had stayed at VT. Part of the allure of the big east was the coachs. JB, Rollie, Louie, Thompson.

Yes the heyday of most conferences like the old Big East was dependent on the quality and uniqueness of their coaches. (Even the old Pac 10 and Big 10 to a lesser degree) It is also the way rivalries were created. The top coaches in top conferences normally didn’t leave for other conferences hoping to upgrade. The ACC soon will be in transition with JB, Coach K, Roy Williams, Hamilton and Larranaga all over 68 years of age. Losing new bright successful young coaches isn’t a good look for the conference.

Not sure why this was a shock to some people. Buzz has always wanted to get back to Texas.

While Buzz nationally IMO is overrated he does know to prepare for our zone so this a good move for us.
VPI has 1 sweet 16 in 5 years but Buzz did turn the program around.
A&M overpaid to just become a consistent round of 32 to sweet 16 team.
Hopefully VPI goes back down.
Agreed for the most part, but I think A&M will be content with a sweet 16 type ceiling every year. Football rules the campus down there - even more so than at VaTech. Less pressure for Buzz, and he returns home. Great move.

Yes the heyday of most conferences like the old Big East was dependent on the quality and uniqueness of their coaches. (Even the old Pac 10 and Big 10 to a lesser degree) It is also the way rivalries were created. The top coaches in top conferences normally didn’t leave for other conferences hoping to upgrade. The ACC soon will be in transition with JB, Coach K, Roy Williams, Hamilton and Larranaga all over 68 years of age. Losing new bright successful young coaches isn’t a good look for the conference.

People want K and Roy to retire. They want Bennett to go someplace else. They are glad Buzz left. They hope good recruits don’t go to the Dukes and UNC’s. If all of that happened, we’d be playing in the MAC. We have to take care of our own program and compete with those schools.

TT prolly aren't going to make him wear a 3-pc suit either... always thought that was funny... Va Tech of all schools making him dapper up on the sidelines...

TT prolly aren't going to make him wear a 3-pc suit either... always thought that was funny... Va Tech of all schools making him dapper up on the sidelines...

Buzz did it himself according to him. He said he was sick of going viral for sweating through whatever he was wearing and decided on 3 piece suits with a vest so layering would better hide his sweating.

Just heard David Teel on the radio and he thinks Wojo from Marquette might be the top choice for VPI over Willard.

I wouldn’t want either.

I need someone to explain to me the argument for going to UCLA. I mean I get the history of the program and everything but they have been to 3 final 4's in the last 40 years. They don't have great facilities and they have an unrealistic fan base. They are in LA and it's a nice campus and everything but why would you leave UVA. He has been consistently beating Duke, UNC and the rest of the ACC and now just broke through to the final 4.

Bennett will run into the same problem Howland did. They thought his style was too slow for March and fired him after losing in the 2nd round despite winning the Pac 12 that season. 3FF's and 6 top 2 finishes in the Pac 12 should have been enough.

Just heard David Teel on the radio and he thinks Wojo from Marquette might be the top choice for VPI over Willard.

I wouldn’t want either.
I would take Wojo over Willard but wouldn't be excited about either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom