Buzz Williams | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Buzz Williams

Hark back to the 2012-13 season. Buzz and his Marquette crew beat SU in the regular season 74-71. He knew how to attack the zone that day.

Jump ahead about 5 weeks, and Buzz's boys can muster all of 39 points vs. the Orange in the NCAA's.
Not so easy to beat that day. I doubt Williams forgot how to play zone offense in the course of a month. Point being--any defense can be beaten when it's not played well. When it's played exceptionally well, as was the Syracuse zone in the 2013 tournament, it's damn hard to beat.

This year's squad plays the worst zone in at least 5 seasons.

No but that 2013 game if you remember they hit 3 or 4 absolutely ridiculous 3's down the stretch in that game. Those 3 or 4 shots all go in about once every 200 times. I don't think JB would have faulted the defense for those, they were just miracle shots. Plus also remember they had that fat guy who went into hyperspace for that one game and couldn't miss anything from the foul line area even though he had done nothing all year to that point. The defense was absolutely giving him that shot because it wasn't a shot they couldn't beat us with 90% of the time. JB plays the percentages and he lost that day is all that was.

No but that 2013 game if you remember they hit 3 or 4 absolutely ridiculous 3's down the stretch in that game. Those 3 or 4 shots all go in about once every 200 times. I don't think JB would have faulted the defense for those, they were just miracle shots. Plus also remember they had that fat guy who went into hyperspace for that one game and couldn't miss anything from the foul line area even though he had done nothing all year to that point. The defense was absolutely giving him that shot because it wasn't a shot they couldn't beat us with 90% of the time. JB plays the percentages and he lost that day is all that was.
They also used Devon Gardner as a wrecking ball on offense. How many times did he push Keita right out of the lane to clear room for Crowder or someone else? I remember one play where he actually shoved Keita to the floor, took an entry pass and laid it in. I was livid watching that game.

His guy tried that the other night with Rak, but the refs called more fouls this time. There was still an inbounds play in the 1st half where the VT center started on the low block, rotated around and body-blocked Rak with both forearms, knocking him off balance - no call. Again, I yelled at the refs.

I don't blame the coaches who employ this system because they are able to get a lot of wins with lesser talent. It's the refs that are doing the most damage to college hoops.

hey buzz and dixon are both roughly the same age as mike hopkins. i give them both credit for going out and starting up their own enterprises rather than bus tables.

hey buzz and dixon are both roughly the same age as mike hopkins. i give them both credit for going out and starting up their own enterprises rather than bus tables.

That's a really unnecessary cheap shot at Hopkins.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom