Class of 2018 - C Brendan Medley-Bacon (MD) / Transfer from Coppin St. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 C Brendan Medley-Bacon (MD) / Transfer from Coppin St.

Had a great year? He averages 5 points a game and looked lost af when I did watch him. Huh??
Sestina? I thought he was pretty good for them and then got hurt and missed a bunch of time didnt he?

Had a great year? He averages 5 points a game and looked lost af when I did watch him. Huh??
I think early in the year he was a big part of their game plan and they really liked his play. Pretty sure something happened...I'll have to do some research. I know Cal loved him and was really hoping that they gave him an extra year due to the covid situation

I don't understand this mentality...there are SO many good basketball players that come from smaller programs and succeed. It reminds me of how people were acting when I mentioned Nate Sestina last year and people thought he wasnt good enough for us because he was from bucknell and wasntb7ft tall. UK takes him and he had a great year. I get some of these guys arent good or might be projects but just because hes from Coppin St doesnt mean we shouldnt give him a look at the very least.

you have posted every single center that is in the portal on here saying SU should take a look... and I’m saying it from a sense of holding the program to a higher standard. This kid isn’t someone who dominated even at his level

you have posted every single center that is in the portal on here saying SU should take a look... and I’m saying it from a sense of holding the program to a higher standard. This kid isn’t someone who dominated even at his level
I have not posted every single one but yea I've posted a few. More for Shiites and giggles considering there isnt much going on right now. Go for a walk or something man...this is all in good fun and maybe this kid is worth taking a look at? Idk...but i trust the staff to do their thing and in the meantime this gives us all something to talk/argue about. :) and I'd love to hold our program to a higher standard as well but I think that more applies to guards/wings when it comes to recruiting...we might need to start trying a different approach when it comes to big guys. It's sad when sometimes u watch small time programs we play early in the year give our bigs the goods at times. Theres plenty of decent big men out there but our recruiting philosophy on them hasnt worked lately...and the 5 star centers wont be walking through the melo center anytime soon until some changes are made...unless someone like Dior can bring one along with him. Just my opinion.

2019-20
2018-19

GPMINFG%3P%FT%REBASTBLKSTLPFTOPTS
stats aren't great but not horrible either considering he only averaged 27 mins a game. Not exactly against great competition, but his defense and rebounding seem to be okay on paper. Probably won't be an offensive force, but neither was Fab Melo, and he turned out to be a okay. Oh, and his FT % is horrible at 58%, so he would fit right in :)

Last edited:
Dont know much about the kid but it does appear that hes a solid defensive player and got defensive player of the week numerous times. Lead the MEAC in blocked shots and had 82 career blocks in 61 games. 4th in the MEAC in rebounding and was 2nd on his team in assists. Maybe could play a Keita role ? I mean did anyone ever really think keita would provide such a big role on our teams as he did? Sometimes it's about finding the right pieces to the puzzle and not star rating or what school the kid is transfering from. I'm not saying this kid is it...just talking outta my u know what.

Dont know much about the kid but it does appear that hes a solid defensive player and got defensive player of the week numerous times. Lead the MEAC in blocked shots and had 82 career blocks in 61 games. 4th in the MEAC in rebounding and was 2nd on his team in assists. Maybe could play a Keita role ? I mean did anyone ever really think keita would provide such a big role on our teams as he did? Sometimes it's about finding the right pieces to the puzzle and not star rating or what school the kid is transfering from. I'm not saying this kid is it...just talking outta my u know what.

Give me a break. Keita came out of the Oak Hill program. The only thing this kid has in common with Keita is he’s tall.

Give me a break. Keita came out of the Oak Hill program. The only thing this kid has in common with Keita is he’s tall.
He played at a great program your right. Not sure anyone expected a whole lot out of him and he turned out to be pretty damn good for us. Had about ZERO offensive skills. Zero. He developed pretty well at Syracuse.

He played at a great program your right. Not sure anyone expected a whole lot out of him and he turned out to be pretty damn good for us. Had about ZERO offensive skills. Zero. He developed pretty well at Syracuse.
He had time to develop and he played with very good player around him. This allowed him to special on defense while letting the talent around him do the heavy lifting on the offensive end.

Most kids don't want to do that, because it's all dirty work and those guys never get drafted.

Good luck finding another guy like that...

This guy isn't as good as the 3 centers we already have. SU is better than this...
So curious as to what you think as well as others. I'm going to post highlights from both Brendan and Bourama from this season and see what everyone thinks regarding their game and skillset. Especially because your saying this kid isnt as good as any of our centers on our current roster. I'll state the obvious before anyone points it out to me that bourama is playing ACC caliber players and Brendan isnt. I'm strictly talking basketball skills. Permiter shooting/handle/defense/back to basket skills etc. Let me know what u think. I'll post bourama first then Brendan's below in another post.

Bourama

Brendan. Give your honest opinion. I just dont see how anyone can say any of our current centers are lightyears ahead of this kid in my opinion. Regardless of the competition this kids playing. I'm not saying hes great or would start etc.

Also want to add that I think the end of the year Bourama was great! If he can keep that momentum going he could be really good for us. Just dont want people to think this is a crap on bourama post because it's not. I happen to like him and our young bigs we have. Just always looking to improve the roster.

I think he could play here. He reminds me of Watkins in both go and bad ways, but I would take that right now.

He definitely has more of a perimeter game/post moves then bourama. Tighter handle and moves well. Also makes some good passes and uses the pick n roll nice. Has a floater he uses too. Dont see much of that from bourama. Hes more of a dunk under the basket or put back off a rebound guy with the occasional oop. Defensively they seem similar to me.

Also not going to take a dump on keita because he was a huge part of our teams success and was fantastic in the zone towards the end of his career. Great team player. With that said, he played at oakhill with a bunch of studs and had 1 OFFER that I know of which was us. He had zero offense but was a hustler and made a lot of good plays that way. Was known purely for his defense and rebounding in highschool. Offense was pretty much non existent. His stats didnt set the world on fire either so I'm a little lost as to what you were trying to prove with this post? You trying to imply because he went to oakhill and this kid didn't that he was some heralded recruit that we had to have? He didnt do much at oakhill that made it seem like he was going to be anything special. He was brought in with fab as another body much like our coaches have been trying to do lately with some of these other guys they are showing interest in. But yes he did go to a great highschool hoops program so I guess that makes him a better prospect from the start right?

20200412_023134.jpg

Last edited:
He definitely has more of a perimeter game/post moves then bourama. Tighter handle and moves well. Also makes some good passes and uses the pick n roll nice. Has a floater he uses too. Dont see much of that from bourama. Hes more of a dunk under the basket or put back off a rebound guy with the occasional oop. Defensively they seem similar to me.

I think your comparison exposes the exaggerated value of Sidibe on this board. His late-season spurt is recency bias. Others have noted his advanced metrics (like PER and win shares) look pretty good. But that's largely a consequence of being the fourth or fifth scoring option on the floor. He scores at an efficient clip because the defense is conceding on him to take away the primary options.

This part is anecdotal, but Bourama scores a lot on weak side rebound put-backs or easy dump-offs because the D overplayed someone else. He's a limited offensive player. That hurts because it allows defenses to play tight on our shooters since he's no threat in the post. Defensively, he's not an elite rim protector. That hurts because he's unable to clean up our weak top zone defense, after it allows easy penetration or entry passes.

I'm not sure Medley-Bacon is the answer against ACC competition. I doubt he could play the zone better than Sidibe. Bourama is surely the better rebounder. In fact, I would grant him that over Tape or Haarms, if they came here. But your comparison shows it's not hard to find a center with at least marginally better offensive skills. We need to keep trying and the staff certainly is. The Catch-22 is that Sidibe's not only deficient in key areas but his presence might be scaring off some of the decent options which would consider us.

I think your comparison exposes the exaggerated value of Sidibe on this board. His late-season spurt is recency bias. Others have noted his advanced metrics (like PER and win shares) look pretty good. But that's largely a consequence of being the fourth or fifth scoring option on the floor. He scores at an efficient clip because the defense is conceding on him to take away the primary options.

This part is anecdotal, but Bourama scores a lot on weak side rebound put-backs or easy dump-offs because the D overplayed someone else. He's a limited offensive player. That hurts because it allows defenses to play tight on our shooters since he's no threat in the post. Defensively, he's not an elite rim protector. That hurts because he's unable to clean up our weak top zone defense, after it allows easy penetration or entry passes.

I'm not sure Medley-Bacon is the answer against ACC competition. I doubt he could play the zone better than Sidibe. Bourama is surely the better rebounder. In fact, I would grant him that over Tape or Haarms, if they came here. But your comparison shows it's not hard to find a center with at least marginally better offensive skills. We need to keep trying and the staff certainly is. The Catch-22 is that Sidibe's not only deficient in key areas but his presence might be scaring off some of the decent options which would consider us.
Thank you for the response. I would have to agree with most of what you said. Lots of good points.

For reference Chukwu is listed at 7’2 227 a year removed from college, and he was an excellent defender.

if this kid is nearly as tall and 20 lbs heavier than PC, then he has the potential to really be a monster in the center of the zone like chukwu was

Bourama finishes very well around the rim with both hands something I didn't see from Bacon.

I doubt he would play out of the high post much in our offense, Marek plays that role.

My guess is that jump shot is what is holding his shooting percentage under 50% and if Bourama took that shot he would make a few (the FT % are about the same)

I seriously doubt he would step into the zone and be as good as Bourama day one.

I'm all for taking him because it allows us to play big.

Sometimes it's about finding the right pieces to the puzzle and not star rating or what school the kid is transfering from. I'm not saying this kid is it...just talking outta my u know what.

I looked more closely at Medley-Bacon. His 2019-20 game log is interesting. BMB was an absolute beast in the second half. First 17 games, his averages were 4pt, 5.3rb, 1.3ast, 1.3 blk. In the last 14, he averaged 11.7pt, 13.2rb, 2.4ast, 3blk. That includes double digits 12 times in REBs, 8 times in pts, and 8 double-doubles. His field goal attempts went from 73 (38% fgm) in the first 17 games to 120 (50% fgm) in the final 14. The more Coppin State used him offensively, the better he got.

This is tempered because he played in the MEAC. In Pomeroy rankings, it was the worst-ranked conference last year. However, there's a couple things in the Medley-Bacon video that might suggest hidden gem. One, he had a serious knee injury that derailed his junior year of high school. This setback may have caused him to be overlooked. Two, he has asthma. He may have worked through some issues and started to perform better.

Bottom line, a lot of folks got excited by the Ballard recruitment. I'm more interested in a kid like this. BMB has already shown skills and turned a corner. He has two years left. With a waiver, he helps right away. With our prospects looking questionable so far with '21 & '22 bigs, big Brendon is starting to look good.

I looked more closely at Medley-Bacon. His 2019-20 game log is interesting. BMB was an absolute beast in the second half. First 17 games, his averages were 4pt, 5.3rb, 1.3ast, 1.3 blk. In the last 14, he averaged 11.7pt, 13.2rb, 2.4ast, 3blk. That includes double digits 12 times in REBs, 8 times in pts, and 8 double-doubles. His field goal attempts went from 73 (38% fgm) in the first 17 games to 120 (50% fgm) in the final 14. The more Coppin State used him offensively, the better he got.

This is tempered because he played in the MEAC. In Pomeroy rankings, it was the worst-ranked conference last year. However, there's a couple things in the Medley-Bacon video that might suggest hidden gem. One, he had a serious knee injury that derailed his junior year of high school. This setback may have caused him to be overlooked. Two, he has asthma. He may have worked through some issues and started to perform better.

Bottom line, a lot of folks got excited by the Ballard recruitment. I'm more interested in a kid like this. BMB has already shown skills and turned a corner. He has two years left. With a waiver, he helps right away. With our prospects looking questionable so far with '21 & '22 bigs, big Brendon is starting to look good.
Thanks for sharing. I thought he looked good in limited tape. He was one of the better defensive guys in his league. No clue if we are still actively recruiting him. Last know contact that was made public was like 2 or 3 weeks ago...doesnt mean we still arent communicating with him. I wouldn't be suprised if we are talking with a few that our staff is keeping quiet seeing as though they were actively recruiting numerous bigs all around the same time.

He isn’t going to be first team All ACC but he could help us for sure. Led his league in rebounds and blocked shots. As Dollar points out, he really came into his own the latter part of last season.

We have a lot of weapons on offense for next year. We don’t need a big scorer at center. We need someone who is solid defensively, can block shots, intimidate inside and get a lot of rebounds. Bourama improved some last year but he is never going to be really good on defense. He just isn’t strong enough or tough enough.

It would be great to have a big guy who can bang around inside, get rebounds and block shots. One thing is clear: when Bourama got in foul trouble last season, it led to a lot of losses. Good teams would attack him inside, he could get in foul trouble and it was game over. We can’t let that happen again next season, which is why JB and the staff are busting their butts trying to find a center who might be able to help address this situation, hopefully from day one of next season.

If we have a scholarship open, I would absolutely take Brandon. There is always room for more bacon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom