Class of 2018 - C Brendan Medley-Bacon (MD) / Transfer from Coppin St. | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 C Brendan Medley-Bacon (MD) / Transfer from Coppin St.

So watching this kid he reminds a lot of Thomas Bryant. He is quirky in how he moves but is effective. Obviously Bryant was a big time talent and had range out beyond the 3 pt line. That said this kid hustles, is kinda slick in finding his way to the basket and looks serviceable defensively. I don't know how well he would fair in the ACC but certainly there are some things you can work with.

Is there anyone that can report how serious SU is in pursuing BMC? Any crystal balls out there?

It's been quiet. They talked to him a few weeks ago but that's all I know. Not sure how interested either side is. That's just what's known publicly...they could still be in contact but who knows?

It's been quiet. They talked to him a few weeks ago but that's all I know. Not sure how interested either side is. That's just what's known publicly...they could still be in contact but who knows?

In the "Comeback" video, Medley-Bacon mentions someone from Maryland came to see him once during his HS senior year. UMd turned up in that tweet where he lists schools which contacted him after he entered the portal. SU is the other big program on the list, then maybe Cincy. If he wants to stay closer to home, VCU/ODU/UNC-W were on there too. Toledo is the only offer so far. But I figure if he's bothering to transfer, he wants a high step-up in conference. How high? As you say, who knows. As we get closer to the waiver ruling, players and teams might just wait on that, as it could have a notable impact on their decision-making.

In the "Comeback" video, Medley-Bacon mentions someone from Maryland came to see him once during his HS senior year. UMd turned up in that tweet where he lists schools which contacted him after he entered the portal. SU is the other big program on the list, then maybe Cincy. If he wants to stay closer to home, VCU/ODU/UNC-W were on there too. Toledo is the only offer so far. But I figure if he's bothering to transfer, he wants a high step-up in conference. How high? As you say, who knows. As we get closer to the waiver ruling, players and teams might just wait on that, as it could have a notable impact on their decision-making.
I'm hoping the staff waits on the waiver ruling to see who ends up in the pool.

We would have lost Griffin with that strategy, kids are not waiting for the ruling so we can't either.
It was meant to mean from this point forward. I agree that Griffin was good fit and we needed to act.

must be we dont think hes a good fit or the interest isn't mutual. This is from the allfactsmedia guys. Or we are buying time to see what else plays out. Figured I'd share.

20200415_000812.jpg

must be we dont think hes a good fit or the interest isn't mutual. This is from the allfactsmedia guys. Or we are buying time to see what else plays out. Figured I'd share.

View attachment 179707

That sucks! This kid looks legit. He has a great body and good athleticism for his size. Good passer. Great defense. Perfect for the zone.
I know not every kid can be our #1 target, but we could probably swing this one to Syracuse if we tried.

That sucks! This kid looks legit. He has a great body and good athleticism for his size. Good passer. Great defense. Perfect for the zone.
I know not every kid can be our #1 target, but we could probably swing this one to Syracuse if we tried.

I don't know -- I can see adding a difference maker like Haarms, but do we need another guy to add to the mix who's just "a guy?" Is he any better than Edwards / JBA?

I don't know -- I can see adding a difference maker like Haarms, but do we need another guy to add to the mix who's just "a guy?" Is he any better than Edwards / JBA?

I was skeptical too before looking at his game-by-game stats and a couple Coppin State games on YouTube. I mentioned Medley-Bacon's impressive second half-season earlier in this thread. It's the MEAC but I'd be very hesitant to bet money that Edwards could start in that league next year and average the 7.5 pts/8.9 rebs/2.1 blks that BMB did. JBA hasn't proven anything yet. Right now, BMB is better. He's also 30 pounds heavier than any of our centers which would give SU another dimension at the 5. Edwards/JBA might be better down the line but that's debatable.

Is BMB more than just "a guy"? The MEAC makes it tough to tell. But I think board and block skills translate pretty well across leagues. He's a great rim protector and his second half rebounding was practically double figures every game. That said, the waiver question matters regarding team-building. Plus, there are many other centers in the portal and probably more to come, so I'm OK with SU taking it slow on him. Admittedly, I'm starting to lose faith in SU landing an elite big anytime soon. If BMB is reasonably above the median point of that wide range between "just a guy" and "elite", it would be a good addition.

I was skeptical too before looking at his game-by-game stats and a couple Coppin State games on YouTube. I mentioned Medley-Bacon's impressive second half-season earlier in this thread. It's the MEAC but I'd be very hesitant to bet money that Edwards could start in that league next year and average the 7.5 pts/8.9 rebs/2.1 blks that BMB did. JBA hasn't proven anything yet. Right now, BMB is better. He's also 30 pounds heavier than any of our centers which would give SU another dimension at the 5. Edwards/JBA might be better down the line but that's debatable.

Is BMB more than just "a guy"? The MEAC makes it tough to tell. But I think board and block skills translate pretty well across leagues. He's a great rim protector and his second half rebounding was practically double figures every game. That said, the waiver question matters regarding team-building. Plus, there are many other centers in the portal and probably more to come, so I'm OK with SU taking it slow on him. Admittedly, I'm starting to lose faith in SU landing an elite big anytime soon. If BMB is reasonably above the median point of that wide range between "just a guy" and "elite", it would be a good addition.

Well said. Kid has good size and nice skill set. Like I previously mentioned, many thought he should of got DPOY in his league. We could use a guy that's at least 30lbs heavier then all of our current 5s and is a 7fter not to mention has some decent offense as well. Would be a good 2 year addition and the way things are going I'd bet he would be eligible immediately. The All Facts Media guys i talked to thought he would be a really good fit with our program. They cover a lot of Coppin st stuff so I think they are pretty familiar with him. Wouldnt suprise me if the staff is working a few things right now.

I actually appreciate the deep dive you did, and the detailed assessment.

I'm bully on both Edwards / JBA, hence my skepticism. But good point about him being 30 pounds heavier. I wonder what a guy like Chukwu [for example] might have developed into if he had the metabolism to add 35-30 pounds.

Not surprised, don't think he's much of an upgrade over who we already have.
but the thing is...recruiting a transfer to be a backup is a difficult hole to fill...gotta keep expectations realistic for a player like that who won't be promised to be starter. what kind of player will honestly be willing to transfer to a school to be a rotational player but not a starter? in that case, at the center spot, want a playe who can play solid d, rebound and offer 5 fouls, imo...which even though this player might not be a big-time nba prospect, he does fit the profile of what this transfer would look like...

I’m sure they’re always open but how actively do you think theyre getting after it?
I'm sure as much as they possibly can be during these times. It's a whole different recruiting game right now but our staff is amazing. They will figure it out! Trust the process...although I was disappointed that they didnt reach out to big russ right away. Maybe they have since then or maybe they just dont think he fits what they want to do idk...either way they will figure it out!

I'm sure as much as they possibly can be during these times. It's a whole different recruiting game right now but our staff is amazing. They will figure it out! Trust the process...although I was disappointed that they didnt reach out to big russ right away. Maybe they have since then or maybe they just dont think he fits what they want to do idk...either way they will figure it out!
I’m not questioning the staff’s work ethic at all to be clear. I’m just saying they might be satisfied with the way the roster is set up for next season and are comfortable rolling in with the guys they have. They clearly have a better sense of things than anyone posting here.

I’m not questioning the staff’s work ethic at all to be clear. I’m just saying they might be satisfied with the way the roster is set up for next season and are comfortable rolling in with the guys they have. They clearly have a better sense of things than anyone posting here.
True. They have been trying to bring in another big that part has been obvious. A 4th guard would be nice and there is some possibilities there. Time will tell. They r doing work! Heck it's all they have time to do right now is scout players lol. #quarantinescoutitng

True. They have been trying to bring in another big that part has been obvious. A 4th guard would be nice and there is some possibilities there. Time will tell. They r doing work! Heck it's all they have time to do right now is scout players lol. #quarantinescoutitng
I personally hope we’re able to rope in another big beefy boy. I see our guard rotation filled out Griff is available for 2020.

the only role i think the squad is missing is a big banger on the inside. I wouldnt categorize it as an emergency need, because i think we have bodies available in cases of foul trouble.

But Cuse’s defenses are markably better when they have a big body available. like the way offenses in football use thunder and lighting halfbacks we could use bigs

Sorry for derailing the thread mods -___-

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom