Class of 2022 - C Donovan Clingan (CT) Offered | Page 35 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 C Donovan Clingan (CT) Offered

True, I think too many people expect NBA ready players to go to their universities. Gotta remember, kid is only 17. Most of these recruits are still so young. Hope his weekend gets better and he feels better. Must not be too serious an injury if he is playing.
I agree that anyone judging a young big based on one game, whether he was injured or not, is an idiot. As someone who follows UConn and the fan base pretty closely I get the impression of the following things regarding DC:

- His ceiling is as high as just about anyone UConn has recruited in the past decade but as any 7+ footer would be, he’s still figuring it out.

- The fan base really wants DC to come to UConn but people have been split on whether it’s likely. If he continues to want to be near his family, that’s really good for us.

- Not to be argumentative, but the only school we view as threat to land him (other thanis Michigan. The reasons being that he grew up a fan, Hunter Dickinson, and Juwan Howard. That’s a really tough thing to go up against. Assuming they prioritize him and he’s willing to leave the state, no one else has a chance.

- How does Clingan fit in defensively on a Hurley team? For those who don’t know, Hurley’s teams are very similar defensively to Houston. They require athletic, mobile bigs who can hard hedge and switch along the perimeter. That’s why Samson Johnson and Akok Akok are perfect for the team. Even Sanogo developed as the year went on. Can he develop into a hyper mobile big? I honestly think that from a defensive standpoint Syracuse would be perfect at this stage in his development. He would be a monster on the back line.

These is just my general sense of the fan base.

I agree that anyone judging a young big based on one game, whether he was injured or not, is an idiot. As someone who follows UConn and the fan base pretty closely I get the impression of the following things regarding DC:

- His ceiling is as high as just about anyone UConn has recruited in the past decade but as any 7+ footer would be, he’s still figuring it out.

- The fan base really wants DC to come to UConn but people have been split on whether it’s likely. If he continues to want to be near his family, that’s really good for us.

- Not to be argumentative, but the only school we view as threat to land him (other thanis Michigan. The reasons being that he grew up a fan, Hunter Dickinson, and Juwan Howard. That’s a really tough thing to go up against. Assuming they prioritize him and he’s willing to leave the state, no one else has a chance.

- How does Clingan fit in defensively on a Hurley team? For those who don’t know, Hurley’s teams are very similar defensively to Houston. They require athletic, mobile bigs who can hard hedge and switch along the perimeter. That’s why Samson Johnson and Akok Akok are perfect for the team. Even Sanogo developed as the year went on. Can he develop into a hyper mobile big? I honestly think that from a defensive standpoint Syracuse would be perfect at this stage in his development. He would be a monster on the back line.

These is just my general sense of the fan base.
If he doesn’t fit and the coach is unable to adjust his offense and defense to a player like Clingan, then he would be a fool to recruit him. So, Hurley must have a plan on how to use him.

If he doesn’t fit and the coach is unable to adjust his offense and defense to a player like Clingan, then he would be a fool to recruit him. So, Hurley must have a plan on how to use him.
I agree with you entirely. This is just the impression I get from the fan base. My personal thought is that Hurley would drop the hard hedge when DC is on the floor similar to the end of the season with Sanogo. This cut down on needless fouls and the defense remained pretty effective albeit with less steals on the perimeter. Clingan is a fascinating player with some traits that few others have and I’ll be rooting for him no matter where he goes.

I agree with you entirely. This is just the impression I get from the fan base. My personal thought is that Hurley would drop the hard hedge when DC is on the floor similar to the end of the season with Sanogo. This cut down on needless fouls and the defense remained pretty effective albeit with less steals on the perimeter. Clingan is a fascinating player with some traits that few others have and I’ll be rooting for him no matter where he goes.

The one thing too with Hurley is that he is pretty stubborn similar to the things you hear on a much older Boeheim. He never really used or had true bigs at URI and while you guys have had a couple, nothing really like DC but the big kid who left JH and then Sanogo, he doesn't stick to running a lot for them and often ends up sticking with smaller lineups where he is comfortable. DC being a true traditional big is a huge jump for Hurley. I don't think it's a great fit at all for either. Hurley won't get the most out of having him there given his affinity for small ball which I agree is like Houston's except minus the rebounding strategy that is their b and b. Similarly DC comes in as a CT kid who stayed local, gets frustrated and then leaves.

"Playing for the Team Spartans, 7-foot-1 big man Donovan Clingan proved to be one of the most intriguing players in the building. Holding offers from Connecticut, Georgetown, Michigan, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Providence, Rutgers and Syracuse, Clingan ranks No. 42 in the class of 2022 according to the industry generated 247Sports Composite. Not only does Clingan rank highly, his throwback post play is filled with skill, touch and power.

In many ways, Clingan is similar to Michigan's star freshman Hunter Dickinson. He takes up a ton of space and manpower to deal with on each end and because he's not a rim to rim sprinter or high flyer, things can slow down and get technical when he's on the floor.

He has touch when spotted up for jumpers, can finish with either hand and is an excellent rebounder who controls most loose balls that he gets a hand on. Defensively he looks most comfortable anchoring a zone and he is a good straight up shot blocker.

Style of play changes when he's on the floor and a program that is committed to letting him set up on the block and playing through him as a guy who can either score in the post or draw help defenders and find shooters looks like it could be the best fit."

Are ‘croots still limited to the number (I think it used to be 5) of OV’s they could take?

If so - this bodes very well for us.

We've got some terrific official visits coming up. Very impressed compared to the last couple years. Now let's close a couple of these and make it a Top 10 class again, like we used to do!

Are ‘croots still limited to the number (I think it used to be 5) of OV’s they could take?

If so - this bodes very well for us.

I don’t know

Sounds like we have first visit. If he makes it to Michigan, it’s likely over, right?

That's awesome news.

I think Clingan is the kind of player that won't be the first or second to commit in a class, but will hop on board a little later once he sees the kind of situation he's walking into more clearly.

Por ejemplo, if we were to lock in a point guard, I think that would help an awful lot with painting the picture of for him.

That's awesome news.

I think Clingan is the kind of player that won't be the first or second to commit in a class, but will hop on board a little later once he sees the kind of situation he's walking into more clearly.

Por ejemplo, if we were to lock in a point guard, I think that would help an awful lot with painting the picture of for him.
DIOR!!!!

BIG NEWS FROM A BIG BOY

captain-insano-laugh-o.gif

I think Clingan is the kind of player that won't be the first or second to commit in a class, but will hop on board a little later once he sees the kind of situation he's walking into more clearly
I’m pretty sure he was looking to commit before his season started, or maybe I’m thinking of another recruit...

Nope he is. He will commit before the winter.

I still think it’s Michigan, then UConn, then everyone else
Yeah and Michigan is tough to beat. I can’t blame him if he goes there. He literally has seen the blueprint for how he’ll be utilized.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom