Class of 2022 - C Donovan Clingan (CT) Offered | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 C Donovan Clingan (CT) Offered

Yea, it’s weird that some of the posters on here aren’t giving us any chance. First of all, Red is his primary recruiter, which gives us a big leg up. According to McCallister’s reporting, Red talks to Donovan 2-3 times a week, and Donovan’s AAU coach talks to Red all the time, too. JB talks to Donovan on the regular, too, and has raved about his abilities and said he’s the best big in his class. We wouldn’t be wasting our time with him if we didn’t think we could land him. The kid seems to be seriously considering SU, so not sure why some on here have poured cold water on our chances.

ummm..i can think of a reason

Yea, it’s weird that some of the posters on here aren’t giving us any chance. First of all, Red is his primary recruiter, which gives us a big leg up. According to McCallister’s reporting, Red talks to Donovan 2-3 times a week, and Donovan’s AAU coach talks to Red all the time, too. JB talks to Donovan on the regular, too, and has raved about his abilities and said he’s the best big in his class. We wouldn’t be wasting our time with him if we didn’t think we could land him. The kid seems to be seriously considering SU, so not sure why some on here have poured cold water on our chances.
it's in his own words - he wants more & bigger offers

syracuse is, at best, his safety school

old & stale take

staff shows them video of marek playing the 5 and tells them that's how we want to use our centers
I think what Marek does is so unique though. I’m not sure there’s many true centers who can do the same thing.

I agree that’s the way to sell the position to recruits though

old & stale take

staff shows them video of marek playing the 5 and tells them that's how we want to use our centers
Staff does not do that at all. Stop trying to “sell” this false narrative

It's not true, Donovan! He's just kidding! It's OK for you to come to Syracuse.

47 second clip with two true entry passes! I’m convinced ;)

it's in his own words - he wants more & bigger offers

syracuse is, at best, his safety school
He also said that Cuse has believed in him from the beginning. Gee, a teenager wants to see how many offers from high major universities he can get. Also has 2 years to go before college. Kid seems to be doing exactly what he should be doing, enjoying the process. Kudos to him for not being pressured into making a big decision...at 16.

I can 100% understand why any big man with an offensive skill set wouldn’t want to come here. Our guards haven’t thrown an entry pass in five years.
Which big in the last five years would you feel comfortable with them throwing an entry pass to on a consistent basis?

I’ll wait...

Which big in the last five years would you feel comfortable with them throwing an entry pass to on a consistent basis?

I’ll wait...
I’d be very comfortable throwing Bourama the ball with his back to the hoop. I’m hopeful we see some of that when he’s back

I’d be very comfortable throwing Bourama the ball with his back to the hoop. I’m hopeful we see some of that when he’s back
Don’t think you would’ve said that until very recently.

I really hope they do begin to do that when he returns...but am I comfortable with it happening regularly?...not even close.

I can 100% understand why any big man with an offensive skill set wouldn’t want to come here. Our guards haven’t thrown an entry pass in five years.

chicken or the egg argument

chicken or the egg argument

No, it's not a chicken or egg argument. One can go back through the post guys at SU over the last
decade plus and find guys who shoot 55, 60, or even 70 percent from the field getting 4 or 5 shots a game.
Rakeem, probably the best low post scorer SU's had in that time, yes, he had a senior year averaging 17+,
but his junior year? Shot 61% from the field, and didn't average four shots a game. Chukwu, far from
offensively skilled, shot 72% from the field, took two shots per. Rick Jackson, shot 59% on 7 shots.
Arinze, shot 65% for his career, took 7 shots a game. Admittedly, there a couple of years guys gets more,
when the team actually looks for the post player, but a coach who allows guards to go 5-16 or 8-24
would never consider feeding a post guy for 24 shots, despite the fact they are shooting twice as good.
And you know that stupid stat based arg, "if i hit 40% of my 3s, you need to hit 60% of your 2s to win",
well, the guards aren't hitting 40% of their threes, maybe in their dreams, so why not feed a post guy?
55% from two blows away the low 30s they are "hitting" from deep. That is why you don't get high
end post guys going to SU.

kev

No, it's not a chicken or egg argument. One can go back through the post guys at SU over the last
decade plus and find guys who shoot 55, 60, or even 70 percent from the field getting 4 or 5 shots a game.
Rakeem, probably the best low post scorer SU's had in that time, yes, he had a senior year averaging 17+,
but his junior year? Shot 61% from the field, and didn't average four shots a game. Chukwu, far from
offensively skilled, shot 72% from the field, took two shots per. Rick Jackson, shot 59% on 7 shots.
Arinze, shot 65% for his career, took 7 shots a game. Admittedly, there a couple of years guys gets more,
when the team actually looks for the post player, but a coach who allows guards to go 5-16 or 8-24
would never consider feeding a post guy for 24 shots, despite the fact they are shooting twice as good.
And you know that stupid stat based arg, "if i hit 40% of my 3s, you need to hit 60% of your 2s to win",
well, the guards aren't hitting 40% of their threes, maybe in their dreams, so why not feed a post guy?
55% from two blows away the low 30s they are "hitting" from deep. That is why you don't get high
end post guys going to SU.

kev

your use of stats is interesting. big guys take longer to develop. How many shots per game did rakeem get his senior year? How many shots per game did Rick Jackson get his senior year? How many shots per game should a good center get?

i would agree overall that i would like to see us feed the post more but your post is a bit much.

also, syracuse has gotten high end centers in the past. Christmas and Fab Melo were both very highly rated.

Last edited:
... Rakeem, probably the best low post scorer SU's had in that time, yes, he had a senior year averaging 17+,
but his junior year? Shot 61% from the field, and didn't average four shots a game ...

your use of stats is interesting. big guys take longer to develop. How many shots per game did rakeem get his senior year? How many shots per game did Rick Jackson get his senior year? How many shots per game should a good center get? i would agree overall that i would like to see us feed the post more but your post is a bit much. also, syracuse has gotten high end centers in the past. Christmas and Fab Melo were both very highly rated.

I agree with your conclusions, JG. Christmas's numbers were lower during his first few years because, as I recall, he was often in foul trouble. He was also splitting time with McDonald's All-American DaJuan Coleman during part of that time. But as a senior in 2014-15, Coleman was injured, and Christmas did a better job of staying out of foul trouble (fouling out in 4 games, with 4 fouls in 12 others). He averaged 34+ minutes per game. He took an average of 11.8 shots per game, making 55%. The team as a whole averaged 52.2 shots per game, so Christmas took 23% of the shots.

My post really is to point out that even when SU has had guys capable of scoring in the post,
they don't use maximize their effectiveness. Even last year, when Sidibe was on his best run
ever at SU, he still took at most six shots. His max last year was seven, once. A high end post
prospect is not going to be drawn to a program where he is unable to put up dominant
numbers. Be it on the D side, where he has to run out and clean up the wing defenders mess,
and can't get the rebs/blks for stats, or on O side, where he wants to do more than chase down
the misses by the hucksters. You got a guy hitting everything he's throwing up, feed him. There
is no need for a guy shooting 56% to be chasing rocks from a guy (guys) who couldn't put the
ball in the ocean. I'd get PO'd if I was a post guy who'd hit 5-6 from the field, and was stuck
watching guards go 4-13 or worse who won't pass me the ball.

Kev

My post really is to point out that even when SU has had guys capable of scoring in the post,
they don't use maximize their effectiveness. Even last year, when Sidibe was on his best run
ever at SU, he still took at most six shots. His max last year was seven, once. A high end post
prospect is not going to be drawn to a program where he is unable to put up dominant
numbers. Be it on the D side, where he has to run out and clean up the wing defenders mess,
and can't get the rebs/blks for stats, or on O side, where he wants to do more than chase down
the misses by the hucksters. You got a guy hitting everything he's throwing up, feed him. There
is no need for a guy shooting 56% to be chasing rocks from a guy (guys) who couldn't put the
ball in the ocean. I'd get PO'd if I was a post guy who'd hit 5-6 from the field, and was stuck
watching guards go 4-13 or worse who won't pass me the ball.

Kev
I somewhat agree that we haven't exactly featured bigs at SU, but I will say that the game has changed to the point where its mostly about the perimeter. Any 5 not named Zion Williamson, is likely not going to get many scoring opportunities, and definitely won't if they play for JB.
When we had Seikaly or Schayes, we'd feature them on offense, but I honestly don't remember even Rosie Bouie being the focus on O. When we want offense from that spot, JB has usually gone hybrid and put a DC, Lydon, or Marek, for more flexibility. Recently we've had Rak Xmas and even he had to wait until senior yr to be the focal point. IOW, we'll feature a big if he's "good enough" but realistically, JB recruits for defense and rebounding first- so I can see where a top, traditional center might not seriously look at SU. I just don't see it as a major issue, given how much the game has evolved.
Does that make it less likely that a Clingan comes to SU? Yes. But it also doesn't mean we won't get another top flight kid like Mulvey for instance, so its not that big a deal. JMHO

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom