Class of 2020 - C Eddie Lampkin (TX) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/2/24) | Page 26 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Eddie Lampkin (TX) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/2/24)

NIL is key to landing players, but once you start winning, the money starts flowing more and there’s heat around your program. This is why I thought they made a mistake walking away from the bidding war for Jesse, despite the shadiness of Jesse’s dad’s behavior. I get why Red walked away but sometimes you just gotta suck it up. The key for Red is to have success right off the bat to start building momentum and buzz. It’s worth significantly overpaying for a key portal player or two. We would’ve made the tourney if we had Jesse last season. If we’d just found the money and overpaid for Mack or Reynolds or even Leffew, it’s worth it to create momentum and buzz for the program, especially for an unproven guy like Red. Then maybe Lampkin stays because he sees that we have the pieces to contend. Or we get someone else.

Last edited:
Football seems to be doing something right, I’m not sure what the heck is going on with basketball. I hope we didn’t throw away an entire season for a couple hundred thousand bucks.
Going from a possible 22 win tournament team to a 12 win dumpster fire will cost a lot more than a couple hundred thousand.
We don't have the money. We aren't poor but we have a budget. And we also had a deal. lampkin said yes to it.

:( First time this off-season I’m feeling like we may be worse next year. Still time and players out there but yikes, what a bummer.

I think it’s time to sell the farm for next year, whatever it takes! Another year of no tournament at this point is going to make keeping and getting players even harder going into the following season.

I’m sure I’ll feel better later. It’s only sports.

NIL is key to landing players, but once you start winning, the money starts flowing more and there’s heat around your program. This is why I thought they made a mistake walking away from the bidding war for Jesse, despite the shadiness of Jesse’s dad’s behavior. I get why Red walked away after he came back twice and asked for more. But sometimes you just gotta suck it up. The key for Red is to have success right off the bat to start building momentum and buzz. It’s worth significantly overpaying for a key portal player or two. We would’ve made the tourney if we had Jesse last season. If we’d just found the money and overpaid for Mack or Reynolds or even Leffew, it’s worth it to create momentum and buzz for the program, especially for an unproven guy like Red. Then maybe Lampkin stays because he sees that we have the pieces to contend. Or we get someone else.
Well, we are going to have to pay now. I think Europe is out best shot.

:( First time this off-season I’m feeling like we may be worse next year. Still time and players out there but yikes, what a bummer.

I think it’s time to sell the farm for next year, whatever it takes! Another year of no tournament at this point is going to make keeping and getting players even harder going into the following season.

I’m sure I’ll feel better later. It’s only sports.
Relax broski, there’s a lot of time left.

Yeah I get it, trust me I do. I’m a partner at an Am Law 200 law firm and I negotiate big deals regularly. I don’t negotiate against myself and I don’t re-deal without good reason. Much of it protecting my reputation which serves you later. However, we suck, and every year it feels like there’s an excuse. I’m at the no excuses stage. Find a way to be good. Don’t care how. And the fact NIL keeps biting us tells me it’s a bigger problem than Jesse’s shady negotiation tactics. Unless something changes, I’ll assume it will keep happening and we won’t be good.
Jesse rcvd his Karma

Screw him...he is dead to Cuse fans. If you played for Cuse you have us for life...if you were honorable. Girard will still be welcomed back cuz he did the transfer the right way.

Well, we are going to have to pay now. I think Europe is out best shot.
I’ve been saying for a while that we should focus on finding players in Europe. If you find a rando like Marek, you’re really only competing with yourself. I get that European scouting may be cost prohibitive and not worth the labor investment for the coaches, but it worked for Tommy Lloyd and Gonzaga before they could land big time recruits. Look at the way St Mary’s recruits players from Australia.

Welp time to wake up for those heading up things- we need to get better with NIL and immediately. Get to work and pivot to salvage things. We have 9 players right now and two coming off injury. What a mess

Jesse rcvd his Karma

Screw him...he is dead to Cuse fans. If you played for Cuse you have us for life...if you were honorable. Girard will still be welcomed back cuz he did the transfer the right way.
They’re pretty much all dead to me once they transfer, except kids who didn’t play. But I still will have my opinion on who we should have tried harder to keep.

Deals are for Boomers man...get with it
I can't even give this a like but it's probably true. The under 25(?) crowd has no sense of loyalty. It's going to be take, take, take and then take more.

No one will need to care about their seat assignment in a year. MBB will no longer be the hottest ticket in town.

I’ve been saying for a while that we should focus on finding players in Europe. If you find a rando like Marek, you’re really only competing with yourself. I get that European scouting may be cost prohibitive and not worth the labor investment for the coaches, but it worked for Tommy Lloyd and Gonzaga before they could land big time recruits. Look at the way St Mary’s recruits players from Australia.
European players can leave and play the same $ game - Jesse was from Europe - the Netherlands.

I can't even give this a like but it's probably true. The under 25(?) crowd has no sense of loyalty. It's going to be take, take, take and then take more.

No one will need to care about their seat assignment in a year. MBB will no longer be the hottest ticket in town.
if these rules were in place in 1987, the same stuff would have been going on then

Plenty of studies that show how successful athletics boosts the academic profile of a school.

And in the alternative scenario of not committing financially to being competitive, not so sure we don’t see the academic profile take a drop with it.
A certain amount of that is guaranteed by nature of our ACC membership.

European players can leave and play the same $ game - Jesse was from Europe - the Netherlands.
I mean recruiting them out of high school or even out of European colleges. Like Tommy Lloyd did at Gonzaga for years. You find the diamonds in the rough, and there’s less college programs looking over there. Exhibit A: Marek.

You mean to tell me that once a kid commits that there is no paperwork to sign the NIL deal. This is weeks after the commitment, did somebody drop a ball here ???

I don't know. College sports can't keep going like this and keep my attention and my money. I spend money because I care who wins these games. When cuse players get drafted I was always proud and rooted for them their entire careers. A few players will stick around a program their entire college career, but most of them are just year to year mercenaries. Or now week to week. Sure I'll probably always follow when cuse basketball or football is good. But I used to always care, even in down years. Were there young guys developing? New recruits onbthe horizon? Could we at least ruin the season of rivals by stealing a couple wins? Now... as soon as we are bad... it's just killing time until the portal opens again and try again. And that's boring. At least pro-sports when ya sign a free agent you know how long the deal is.

Welp this is real bad. Our needs going into the portal was to find an ACC starting quality PG and Center and it seems we still need that as our roster stands right now. (Yes I know the staff is saying they love Carlos but they were also chasing higher quality PG so their actions speak to me louder). I don't even know what is left for us to pivot too at this point in the cycle.