Class of 2020 - C Eddie Lampkin (TX) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/2/24) | Page 39 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Eddie Lampkin (TX) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/2/24)

A nattering nabob of negativism.

It's a new world.
And AD's, coaches and players are figuring it out.
Sometimes painfully.

If college ball is now another version of pro ball then it seems colleges should start using contracts to prevent Lampkinism.
And colleges should have direct control over NIL money.

I don't think a college has to abandon ethical behavior to compete.
I'd rather my school do the right things...even if it might mean losing players.
Just like a team doesn't need the bad seed players, it doesn't need bad seed management.
Better to be a place where players are proud to play.

Need the rule changed so school pays and gets a contract. Multi-years too like pros, except opt outs to leave college / go pro (just cant transfer).

Here’s my concern. Syracuse is not really helping the NIL situation because it views it as competing with donations it receives to the athletic department, which it uses for other things. So if in a few years Syracuse has to pay NIL directly out of its total pool of donations and the donors are no longer making direct payments, are we confident the university will allocate enough to basketball to make us a top 15 program of the future?

My rooting interest used to be

#1) SU basketball
#2) SU football

Football has easily surpassed basketball these last five years. The football program has a bright future, basketball not so much. I’m looking at a 14 win roster at the moment. Im so numb to us playing garbage basketball. I can’t even comprehend how far this program has fallen. I like Red, but I’m not sure this staff lasts. We can’t get or keep players.

Edit- just to add, I do not think Lampkin is worth another 250k. It’s a sleazy move on his part to put Red in this position. Once you sign you should not be able to back out until the following year.

Last edited:
Couple thought, take them or leave them.

1- IMO this is partially on Red. He was trying to change the culture of the team. First thing I read about Lampkin when he committed was he left his second school with issues. We are trying to fix the culture by getting rid of players and then immediately sign a player that left two previous stops with issues? It never made sense to me.

2- I mentioned this previously. But when you recruit. You need to get to know the player. Is the player solely motivated only by money? Multiple schools have mentioned they won’t necessarily even recruit a portal entry if they are only interested in the financial aspect. They want the right fit, not a mercenary. Sounds like lampkin was a bidddinh war originally, so of course there was a possibility of him flipping if a bigger offer came. That’s on the coaches.

3- ultimately, this is on lampkin who walked out on an agreement. But it looks like small time basketball. We are looking at a very suspect roster with so many holes. Still time to fill them, but the potential fits are extremely picked over. Not saying this is fair, but this makes it appear Red and the assistants are not cut out for this job.

4- maybe he is helping. But you would sure like to see Jim doing something to help fund or find potential donors for NIL in his cushy new job he threw a hissy fit for. He has not exactly been out in front trying to drum up support and donations. You would think he would want to help Red step in and be successful. Unfortunately, this does not appear to be the case.

Yeah nothing wrong with corporations rigging the housing market or medical companies conspiring together to keep medicine prices high or ticketmaster's junk fees and broker sales. Nothing at all.
That’s not capitalism, that’s fraud. Also, a lot of stuff gets done because of congressional laws which require certain outcomes, like mandating that people with less than stellar credit and/or not enough income, have to be allowed to have a mortgage.

If other teams are stealing players, and now we have money to burn, let’s go steal Frank Kepnang from Washington. I can’t imagine their NIL situation for basketball is all that great.

But it isn’t. And unless we have an AD and HC that understand that, we’re not playing with the big boys.
It is a stretch to blame the AD when all the other sports are doing very well or trending positively. Men's basketball is really the only sore spot right now. Football, women's hoops, soccer, both lax teams, etc are all in great shape.

Couple thought, take them or leave them.

1- IMO this is partially on Red. He was trying to change the culture of the team. First thing I read about Lampkin when he committed was he left his second school with issues. We are trying to fix the culture by getting rid of players and then immediately sign a player that left two previous stops with issues? It never made sense to me.

2- I mentioned this previously. But when you recruit. You need to get to know the player. Is the player solely motivated only by money? Multiple schools have mentioned they won’t necessarily even recruit a portal entry if they are only interested in the financial aspect. They want the right fit, not a mercenary. Sounds like lampkin was a bidddinh war originally, so of course there was a possibility of him flipping if a bigger offer came. That’s on the coaches.

3- ultimately, this is on lampkin who walked out on an agreement. But it looks like small time basketball. We are looking at a very suspect roster with so many holes. Still time to fill them, but the potential fits are extremely picked over. Not saying this is fair, but this makes it appear Red and the assistants are not cut out for this job.

4- maybe he is helping. But you would sure like to see Jim doing something to help fund or find potential donors for NIL in his cushy new job he threw a hissy fit for. He has not exactly been out in front trying to drum up support and donations. You would think he would want to help Red step in and be successful. Unfortunately, this does not appear to be the case.
Idk how the school isn’t blamed for a good part of this on how they look at the nil landscape and handle it

It is a stretch to blame the AD when all the other sports are doing very well or trending positively. Basketball is really the only sore spot right now. Football, women's hoops, soccer, both lax teams, etc are all in great shape.

*all* other sports are doing well?

Where do we sit in the grand scheme of things?

How much of football right now is Fran vs JW?

Don’t mistake some hope brought by Fran with some perceived systemic achievement by JW

Here’s my concern. Syracuse is not really helping the NIL situation because it views it as competing with donations it receives to the athletic department, which it uses for other things. So if in a few years Syracuse has to pay NIL directly out of its total pool of donations and the donors are no longer making direct payments, are we confident the university will allocate enough to basketball to make us a top 15 program of the future?
i assure you they’re trying to help the NIL situation. They are pushing donors to give to collectives. I’ve been in meetings and have heard it first hand. I will say - Fran seems to be much more active and aggressive in asking for money. And when he does ask, it’s hard to say no. He’s that good.

I think the Wild West lasts only a little while without contracts and schools paying things directly. So it’s in the schools interests to help during the interim period until they can do it themselves. There’s a reason our chancellor is out there pushing for a more direct model. Lot of other universities on board too.

Don’t mistake some hope brought by Fran with some perceived systemic achievement by JW
I am not sure what is hard to understand? Who hired Fran? It is pretty obvious that as a whole the athletics department is excelling. FLJ was hired by JW and Women's hoops had a great season and is trending up. Men's soccer won a national championship last year. Both lax teams are in the top 5. Football is looking to have the best year in a long time. The Olympic sports are strong. Take the time to look at the results. JW has done a good job. Sometimes it is okay to give credit where it is due.

If other teams are stealing players, and now we have money to burn, let’s go steal Frank Kepnang from Washington. I can’t imagine their NIL situation for basketball is all that great.

Sadly he’s coming off 2 straight years from injuries, playing in just 18 games, starting in just 8 of them over the past 2 seasons.

Everyone knows the NIL landscape is a broken system; my concern is that if the roster gaps and current lack of talent (and funding) don't get addressed in a big way, the theme of 'what if' will last for yet another season.

Goes without saying how big of a year this is for Red.

At some point, there are programs that figure it out, and those that just blame the system.

Right now the scene from Money Ball when they’re in the scout room is racing through my head over and over again.

It’s just time to pony up for Eddie. We wont survive in a world where we do all the upfront work and then some scumbag shows up with a bag twice the size. It’s not right but now it’s survival. The roster moves we’ve made to this point were built around Lampkin to a certain extent.

Also Until there’s legislation or schools are allowed to step in and pay which is already possible in Virginia we need to just suck it up and bend over for a player or two if it comes to this. There’s only 5 guys on the court, 12 on the roster. Cant be losing 2 critical pieces of the front court to NIL.

Unfortunately this will leave a sour taste for the coach’s and current players if he ever does show up on campus too. Either way this sucks.

you sure you want to put all your Wildhack eggs in that basket, sir?
Which basket is that? It seems your insinuating that the AD is incompetent and not understanding that you need to spend to get players. Is that right? Have you seen our football roster yet?

Doesn’t the AD get credit for hiring him?

I am not sure what is hard to understand? Who hired Fran? It is pretty obvious that as a whole the athletics department is excelling. FLJ was hired by JW and Women's hoops had a great season and is trending up. Men's soccer won a national championship last year. Both lax teams are in the top 5. Football is looking to have the best year in a long time. The Olympic sports are strong. Take the time to look at the results. JW has done a good job. Sometimes it is okay to give credit where it is due.
If you go by last 5 years Syracuse sports as a whole as been bad..just because they look on the rise doesn’t mean anything till they can be steady…look at the women’s team they did good in tourney and lost 3 big players…football fran has done amazing but we haven’t played a game yet….and well we know how basketball has been

Additionally the football team is currently 0-0.

Interesting how the message on the basketball board is “be patient, just wait and see what happens”

While the football board is counting wins that haven’t happened