Class of 2020 - C Eddie Lampkin (TX) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/2/24) | Page 75 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Eddie Lampkin (TX) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/2/24)

i'm not saying it isnt nice to have a great rim protecting center...but reducing everything to block/game is just way overvaluing blocks

I'd rather have a center that can rebound and score in the post and be a threat on offense and guard the block...after all that then yeah get some blocks

i feel like a lot of people just want rim protection from a center and I have hated watching that style of center the last 10 years for the orange
I hear you on some of that. But, I don't see many posters who have "reduced everything to blocks/game" or "just want rim protection from a center." The discussion is, or should be, more nuanced than that because playing "good" defense is much more nuanced than that.

Apart for last year, you've been watching SU play exclusively JB's zone where shot blocking and length seemed to be valued over rebounding and positioning. Of course, everyone wants a 5 who can score in the post AND dominate inside on D. If you don't have one guy who can do all that (many teams don't), you have to maximize the skill sets you do have. NM was not good on defense, but teams had to respect his ability to block shots. Both things can be true. There is value in that skill.

So we have 1 big bodied center who wont be pushed around and is also an above average offensive threat and 1 big bodied center who wont be pushed around and is also an elite shot blocker

What are we so angry about?
Will Forte Fml GIF by The Lonely Island

I hear you on some of that. But, I don't see many posters who have "reduced everything to blocks/game" or "just want rim protection from a center." The discussion is, or should be, more nuanced than that because playing "good" defense is much more nuanced than that.

Apart for last year, you've been watching SU play exclusively JB's zone where shot blocking and length seemed to be valued over rebounding and positioning. Of course, everyone wants a 5 who can score in the post AND dominate inside on D. If you don't have one guy who can do all that (many teams don't), you have to maximize the skill sets you do have. NM was not good on defense, but teams had to respect his ability to block shots. Both things can be true. There is value in that skill.
well I hink a lot of people think NM is good at defense bc he gets a lot of blocks

thats where their analysis stops and starts

i want a center who can score down low, who can rebound and who can guard in the low post

i dont really care about shot blocking...

for me, its the cherry on top...but for a lot of SU fans its seems to be the main criteria

I think you’re missing my point. In fairness I didn’t explain 100%.

DJ Burns is a unique talent. How many centers in the history of the NCAA had the size, nimbleness, court vision, and passing that DJ Burns had?

Please correct me if I’m missing someone, but I see DJ Burns as a 1 of 1 type of player. Now all of a sudden, a transfer is supposed to be the next DJ Burns, to which we never saw anyone like DJ Burns before this year? I find that really hard to believe.

Secondly, NC State with DJ Burns was not very good until they got hot at the very end. Yes that doesn’t make DJ Burns less of a player, but he had terrible stamina and could only play 24 mpg. He was able to play more in the postseason tournaments because of the longer media timeouts. At the end of the day. NC State was just an average team until their miraculous post season tournament run which elevated DJ Burns to a higher status.
I think Eddie will be better than Burns.

I read some references saying Red did a good job with Eddie's mom despite an attempt to tamper. Does this mean Eddie's mom convinced Eddie to take a lower NIL offer from SU.

If tampering is legal even if EL enrolled in summer classes, what is to prevent him from seeking a transfer in September? If enrollment locks him in, what is the penalty if he decides to jump later despite the portal window being closed.

I understand that the school and player can't sign a contract (despite everyone considering this practically pay for play no matter how NCAA pretends it's not). May be the NIL contracts can be set up to prevent this? What I mean is let's say a player has a 500k package with three NIL sponsors. A car dealership a gym and a pizza restaurant. A NIL contract is signed with each sponsor where there are typical exit clauses for both sides (such as if a player is arrested and convicted of a crime the sponsor can drop him/her). Well I assume the contracts include a payment schedule right? Payment up front or payment after certain milestones being reached (signature events, tailgate events etc...) or monthly payments etc ..now once a sponsor gives $1 to the player, wouldn't it be a breach of contract to go elsewhere (assuming the contract can demand players be residing in that city and attend every game), I am assuming national brand like Geico or KFC deals where the sponsor doesn't care where one attends is rare. Can a player be sued for a breach of NIL contracts?

Depends on how you feel about his taxes.

Watching the recent video of Lampkin working out in Texas, he seems slimmer than in his NCAA Tournament games... He isn't skinny, probably hasn't been since 5th grade :)

I hope he didn't lose strength when he focused on slimming up a little bit. I enjoyed watching him thump into opponents, pushing them around all game. It's an off the box score benefit I'm really looking forward to.

But more importantly, when running, it looked like he might have an injury, he had a bit of a limp. It seems to have gotten less pronounced.

I was intrigued by his shooting, actually. If he can hit the 15 foot set shot he showed in that workout, it adds a lot to his game instead
My hope is that our defense uses a lot of help close to the basket... Lampkin puts a body on the offensive player inthe post, and usually we play him straight straight up. Trust the shots are going to miss often enough, and will get enough of the rebounds with this current team.

Sometimes, though, Freeman or Bell can serve as weak side shotblocker on Lampkin's guy, or one of the guards can sneak down to poke the ball away without leaving their guy open for threes.

Generally, though, Lampkin is going to be hard to get post position on... He's just strong enough to push guys into positions where they're not comfortable.

I'm hoping that Lampkin is consistently able to get good position when he's the secondary defender when his teammates get beaten of the dribble on the perimeter. He's not going to fill the Fab Melo, Chukwu or even Edwards role as a great shotblocker. But he can play the Rick Jackson, Onuaku role of denying space and making them shoot tougher shots. Having to worry about Lampkin Mountain will make it easier for other guys too get blocks or steals from opponents dribbling to the middle of the defense.

Lampkin's bigger weakness will be if smaller guys try to get him moving laterally in space. Then it's a contest to see if he can abuse them in the post more effectively than they can score on him at the perimeter. Or we zone for some possessions to reduce Lampkin's exposure.

There is so much you can do when you've got the biggest guy in the court, especially when he's an all around good passer. My bet is that we can outscore teams trying to play a smaller guy against Lampkin most of the time.
I’m worried about playing a team like Lousiville. How are we going to matchup up Pryor and Waterman. Donnie will guard Pryor but I don’t think Lampkin is nimble to quads either on the perimeter. Might be a zone game

I’m worried about playing a team like Lousiville. How are we going to matchup up Pryor and Waterman. Donnie will guard Pryor but I don’t think Lampkin is nimble to quads either on the perimeter. Might be a zone game
A Waterman corner three at his height against a zone would be a disaster.

I read some references saying Red did a good job with Eddie's mom despite an attempt to tamper. Does this mean Eddie's mom convinced Eddie to take a lower NIL offer from SU.

If tampering is legal even if EL enrolled in summer classes, what is to prevent him from seeking a transfer in September? If enrollment locks him in, what is the penalty if he decides to jump later despite the portal window being closed.

I understand that the school and player can't sign a contract (despite everyone considering this practically pay for play no matter how NCAA pretends it's not). May be the NIL contracts can be set up to prevent this? What I mean is let's say a player has a 500k package with three NIL sponsors. A car dealership a gym and a pizza restaurant. A NIL contract is signed with each sponsor where there are typical exit clauses for both sides (such as if a player is arrested and convicted of a crime the sponsor can drop him/her). Well I assume the contracts include a payment schedule right? Payment up front or payment after certain milestones being reached (signature events, tailgate events etc...) or monthly payments etc ..now once a sponsor gives $1 to the player, wouldn't it be a breach of contract to go elsewhere (assuming the contract can demand players be residing in that city and attend every game), I am assuming national brand like Geico or KFC deals where the sponsor doesn't care where one attends is rare. Can a player be sued for a breach of NIL contracts?
Red doing a good job with Eddie’s mom just sounds like a 17 year old busting his buddies chops.

A Waterman corner three at his height against a zone would be a disaster.
Waterman is decent at dribbling, but we definitely want somebody in his face to prevent open threes. We'll take our chances with his 2.3 2pt attempts per game instead of his 4.7 3pt attempts. Clearly he's more comfortable shooting from out there.

Defensively, we'll give up some points. I think we'll outscore a lot of teams. When they aren't dropping, though, it's could be rough watching the second half of some games. Hopefully the incoming fifth year seniors are more resilient than the guys who stood around after they got down and watched themselves get blown out last year.

As we noted in great detail at the end of last season, even if we can't win, not letting them turn an 8 point loss into an 18 point loss is critical to our chances of making the Tournament.

I think you’re missing my point. In fairness I didn’t explain 100%.

DJ Burns is a unique talent. How many centers in the history of the NCAA had the size, nimbleness, court vision, and passing that DJ Burns had?

Please correct me if I’m missing someone, but I see DJ Burns as a 1 of 1 type of player. Now all of a sudden, a transfer is supposed to be the next DJ Burns, to which we never saw anyone like DJ Burns before this year? I find that really hard to believe.
Robert "Tractor" Traylor at Michigan. Maybe even Glen Davis at LSU. They come around once in awhile, but are certainly a rare occurrence at that size and skill level.

The forward position as a whole. Freeman, Bell, Westry, and Davis between them should give us an excellent 80 minutes if used properly and that could push us to the right side of the bubble.

Yeah, I’d rather pick up a 3rd center than another forward at this point. Athletic bouncy 6-10 that likes to dunk would be nice. Unless we can get a stretch 4 that could play the 5 but there aren’t many of them left.