Class of 2020 - C Makur Maker to Howard | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Makur Maker to Howard

This is not good. This only hurts programs like us in the next tier below (Kentucky, Duke, UNC etc)
Eh, I think it is good. Let these kids make millions of dollars for the black colleges. I love college basketball, but it is all messed up. Maybe these young people can give it a kick in the ass and get it going in the right place.

I'm good with it. The past few months have really helped me to put a lot of things into the right perspective. These kids don't owe me a damn thing. I'm sorry you haven't figured that out.

I dont care where he goes. We were not in on him but I will care if this becomes a trend cause it will cut into our recruiting pool.

I dont care where he goes. We were not in on him but I will care if this becomes a trend cause it will cut into our recruiting pool.

If we’re doing what we’re supposed to do, this will have absolutely zero effect on us. Plenty of players out there.

Doubt he ever plays a min of college ball so why not give a school like Howard some publicity.

A scholarship equals come play for our school and make us millions and in return we won't charge you for it!

Just in case my opinion wasn't known...

Good for the kid. I hope he lights it up for them.

I’m a cynical person, it’s a flaw. But I have to ask: why now? Why was this not happening last year, or 5, 10, 30 years ago? Nothing that is being protested right now is new. Everyone virtue signaling today was perfectly happy living with the same injustices for the entire previous duration of their lives.

"Slavery in America has been around for 200 years, why's this Tubman lady trying to free slaves now?"

"The emancipation proclamation was a century ago, why's this Martin King guy starting to complain about the way blacks are being treated now?"

"The US Gov't has existed for 250 years, why are blacks trying to become president now?"

Maybe I am a cynical person, but I think what you said is a terribly backwards way to think and part of why problems in America exist for generations longer than they should.

"Slavery in America has been around for 200 years, why's this Tubman lady trying to free slaves now?"

"The emancipation proclamation was a century ago, why's this Martin King guy starting to complain about the way blacks are being treated now?"

"The US Gov't has existed for 250 years, why are blacks trying to become president now?"

Maybe I am a cynical person, but I think what you said is a terribly backwards way to think and part of why problems in America exist for generations longer than they should.

I was in fact lamenting attitudes like yours. That people were absolutely jumping a person over having a question or different opinion about this move. There are plenty of reasons to debate if this is a good move for the kid, there’s also plenty of reasons to fully support the idea. That’s not what I was talking about. Just because you apparently only found out about racism in the last two months, you seem to think that as long as you shout down anybody who wants to talk about it, you are free from the fact that you didn’t seem to care before.

I was in fact lamenting attitudes like yours. That people were absolutely jumping a person over having a question or different opinion about this move. There are plenty of reasons to debate if this is a good move for the kid, there’s also plenty of reasons to fully support the idea. That’s not what I was talking about. Just because you apparently only found out about racism in the last two months, you seem to think that as long as you shout down anybody who wants to talk about it, you are free from the fact that you didn’t seem to care before.

This happened today though, that's why we're discussing it now. If it happened 15 years ago, we'd probably be discussing it on the Sco*ut boards.

Even if I started caring 45 minutes ago, why would that annoy you so much? Does it disturb you that people could change their opinions based on more information becoming available to them? Are you arguing that people should be staunch in their beliefs and never change them?

I honestly don't see your angle except that you seem to be annoyed by people discussing a 5 star choosing an HBCU on a basketball recruiting forum during a time when racial injustice is in the front and center of many people's minds.

This happened today though, that's why we're discussing it now. If it happened 15 years ago, we'd probably be discussing it on the Sco*ut boards.

Even if I started caring 45 minutes ago, why would that annoy you so much? Does it disturb you that people could change their opinions based on more information becoming available to them? Are you arguing that people should be staunch in their beliefs and never change them?

I honestly don't see your angle except that you seem to be annoyed by people discussing a 5 star choosing an HBCU on a basketball recruiting forum during a time when racial injustice is in the front and center of many people's minds.

nah

No it just make basketball sense to me. I'm skeptical something fishy went on to land a player of this caliber.
Yeah, for hundreds of years we’ve treated his people like crap and then we just expect them to roll over and play for predominantly white schools that don’t give a damn about their education.

He’s taking a stand.

What does racial injustice have to do with a kid choosing a college?

Yeah, for hundreds of years we’ve treated his people like crap and then we just expect them to roll over and play for predominantly white schools that don’t give a damn about their education.

He’s taking a stand.
A stand for what? This isn't the 1960s the majority of college basketball is African Americans. What does one have to do with the other?

What does racial injustice have to do with a kid choosing a college?

I'd start with reading the news. There were a couple big stories in the last few months.

Then I'd read the quotes from his guardians. They talk about the fabric of the university and why it's important to people of Maker's background.

Then I'd read his tweets about why he's releasing interviews on July 9.

You should be able to piece it together, I don't feel like typing it out.

Are you like 10? Have you lived in some kind of bubble?
I just... can't fathom how ppl, in the year 2020, can be this obtuse
Obtuse about what? What does a college decision have to do with social injustice?

I'd start with reading the news. There were a couple big stories in the last few months.

Then I'd read the quotes from his guardians. They talk about the fabric of the university and why it's important to people of Maker's background.

Then I'd read his tweets about why he's releasing interviews on July 9.

You should be able to piece it together, I don't feel like typing it out.
Odds are this kid never steps foot on campus. You guys are making way too much out of this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom