Class of 2020 - C Matt Haarms / Transferring from Purdue | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Matt Haarms / Transferring from Purdue

The longer this goes the less I like our chances. If he had known he would have committed right away. Not sure we need someone wishy washy.
Twenty-seven teams to pick from is more a coin flip, especially if CoVid 19 still is hampering campus visits. Have to wait to see who he selects for his final 5-6 schools to see how we fare.

My opinion only, but I have a really hard time not envisioning Quincy Guerrier as the starting 4 next season.

Yeah, no way Guerrier starts if Griffin is eligible.

And if he does, he or Marek are getting the Rakeem Christmas treatment pretty early to get Griffin in and get the floor spaced.

Yeah, no way Guerrier starts if Griffin is eligible.

And if he does, he or Marek are getting the Rakeem Christmas treatment pretty early to get Griffin in and get the floor spaced.

I'll own this -- but I don't see Marek and Quincy as having compatible skill sets as starting forwards. Griffin plays alongside one of them -- hard to envision either being benched [I expect a big sophomore leap from Guerrier that will make it impossible for him not to approach 30 mpg].

But yes -- if Griffin get eligible, he starts.

Feels a lot like our funky lineup leading into the 2017 season with White, Lydon, Roberson, Coleman, etc.

Certainly more active than any SU center that I have seen in years.

Two bigs would be an offensive disaster in 2020
Granted they have LBJ, but the Lakers would disagree with this. If the bigs are mobile enough it could be fantastic on defense too.

If MH comes he’s going to play at least 30mpg and would be my pick for DPOY in the ACC. This kid could very easily average 3 bpg at the center of the zone.

Eh, Marek's game is pretty compatible with anybody.

Is it optimal for floor spacing, playing in a lineup that features Sidibe and Guerrier, both of whom only score within the shadow of the basket? Marek does most of his damage in the paint, as well. That's what I mean by compatibility.

Certainly agree that Marek is unselfish, that he is a good passer, that he can handle the ball in the open floor, etc. Maybe as a senior he shows more outside shooting.

Maybe Guerrier doesn't start. But I think he'll end up being our most effective inside scorer and rebounder -- tough to keep that kind of production off the floor.

I just hate having Marek at center -- but maybe that's what we see more of, in an uber-versatile lineup with Guerrier / Griffin on the wings.

Is it optimal for floor spacing, playing in a lineup that features Sidibe and Guerrier, both of whom only score within the shadow of the basket? Marek does most of his damage in the paint, as well. That's what I mean by compatibility.

Certainly agree that Marek is unselfish, that he is a good passer, that he can handle the ball in the open floor, etc. Maybe as a senior he shows more outside shooting.

Maybe Guerrier doesn't start. But I think he'll end up being our most effective inside scorer and rebounder -- tough to keep that kind of production off the floor.
I have it on *good authority that both Marek and Quincy will be serviceable perimeter shooters next season.

*I made that up. It's mostly wishful thinking. But even if they aren't great I'm not that concerned about the spacing with a lineup where they're the forwards.

I have it on *good authority that both Marek and Quincy will be serviceable perimeter shooters next season.

*I made that up. It's mostly wishful thinking. But even if they aren't great I'm not that concerned about the spacing with a lineup where they're the forwards.

I know that Guerrier was listed as a G/F when we recruited him -- he just didn't show much by way of perimeter skill last season. The last third of the season, when he got more comfortable and started being a more significant contributor, he showed that he could put the ball on the floor a bit [emphasis on "a bit"] to drive, and toward the end of the season he showed that he could at least hit a face up jumper. But he was FAR more effective when he stopped trying to be a perimeter player and started attacking inside.

He'll have a bigger green light, and maybe the skill is there for him to be more of a perimeter guy -- but I don't take that as a given. He seemed like a guy who could be a very good, semi-dominant inside player. That's where I want to see him -- at least until he proves otherwise.

Marek shot well from 3 the year prior, so it’s not like he can’t possibly do so again.
And based on how solid his FT shooting was the 2nd half of the year, he’s got a nice stroke and good mechanics.

Like somebody else said, we don’t need him to be a volume 3 guy.
Just do like CJ did that one season, shoot 2 WIIIIIDE OPEN 3’s a game, and hit 1 of them.

That will force the opponents D to honor the Doley J ;) , which will make his driving & passing game that much more of a lethal mismatch for whomever is trying to check him.

Q almost has to get better shooting, given he was so bad for so much of the season.
But he’s another guy who got better at the FT line, so I wouldn’t be shocked if he became a low 30’s % 3 guy, in time.

I'll own this -- but I don't see Marek and Quincy as having compatible skill sets as starting forwards. Griffin plays alongside one of them -- hard to envision either being benched [I expect a big sophomore leap from Guerrier that will make it impossible for him not to approach 30 mpg].

But yes -- if Griffin get eligible, he starts.

Feels a lot like our funky lineup leading into the 2017 season with White, Lydon, Roberson, Coleman, etc.
i don't agree at all
marek is a playmaking forward that can make everyone better

marek the playmaker at the high post
boo on the low post
q running the baseline
buddy & jgiii on the wings
makes all kinds of sense to me

i don't agree at all
marek is a playmaking forward that can make everyone better

Having three front court players who can't shoot consistently alters how teams can defend us. Maybe Marek / Guerrier render my concerns invalid -- but I don't think it is a given that they suddenly show enough shooting to keep defenses honest.

Marek has versatility, no doubt. But if he can't shoot, then expect teams to pack it in, with opposing guards accepting the risk of getting in JG and Buddy's jocks, daring them to make a play off of the bounce. That's my fear.

marek the playmaker at the high post
boo on the low post
q running the baseline
buddy & jgiii on the wings
makes all kinds of sense to me

That lineup has Marek at C, and no Sidibe. Could happen, a lot. Which creates some other problems defensively.

Marek is not a 3 pt shooter. Maybe 30% at best. Maybe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom