Class of 2020 - C Matt Haarms / Transferring from Purdue | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Matt Haarms / Transferring from Purdue

That lineup has Marek at C, and no Sidibe. Could happen, a lot. Which creates some other problems defensively.
As long as we have all the pieces, we can use them whichever way works best for each game.

Would be a perfect fit. I don't care how much Sidibe improved, this kid is light years better than him.

Sid is actually the better rebounder, on-ball defender, and turns it over less. Haarms is certainly a superior rim protector, and shooter. But, he isn’t a great finisher outside of dunks, and is not a good rebounder for his size. Was actually going to lose minutes at Purdue. Their fans aren’t exactly devastated by this. It would be a formidable duo, and I think it would be closer to an even split in minutes than Sid being relegated to the 10 MPG many would rather see.

Kid plays with a lot of energy, and would be nice to have so Marek is never needed again at the 5. Still, he’s far from an NBA big, though I’m sure he wants the best platform to make a run at it. His ticket to the league would be on D, so I doubt he wants to showcase his abilities sitting back in a zone D during his audition year.

Sid is actually the better rebounder, on-ball defender, and turns it over less. Haarms is certainly a superior rim protector, and shooter. But, he isn’t a great finisher outside of dunks, and is not a good rebounder for his size. Was actually going to lose minutes at Purdue. Their fans aren’t exactly devastated by this. It would be a formidable duo, and I think it would be closer to an even split in minutes than Sid being relegated to the 10 MPG many would rather see.

Kid plays with a lot of energy, and would be nice to have so Marek is never needed again at the 5. Still, he’s far from an NBA big, though I’m sure he wants the best platform to make a run at it. His ticket to the league would be on D, so I doubt he wants to showcase his abilities sitting back in a zone D during his audition year.

I don't think the defensive showcase would be the issue. It would be whether he would have a chance to showcase at all on offense here.

As long as we have all the pieces, we can use them whichever way works best for each game.

Very true. My preference would be to see Marek as little as possible at the 5, but our best lineup might feature him playing out of position again, to accommodate the likes of an improved Guerrier earning minutes, and a new dynamic wing like Griffin.

I was responding above to whether Guerrier / Marek AT FORWARD is the optimal combination. I don't think so, but it makes for an interesting discussion.

Lord knows we all have plenty of time to kill...

Way ahead of ourselves given about 25 schools interested already but that’s what we love to do here so I’ll jump in again... have a hard time not seeing sidibe as a starter next season.

I don't think the defensive showcase would be the issue. It would be whether he would have a chance to showcase at all on offense here.

Yeah, doubtful we would feed him the ball a ton, as he’s pretty limited offensively. Though I think Marek, and Joe could make him look solid by setting him up for easy buckets. If the UNC game is any indication on their abilities to feed the post.

I'm with you. That said if Marek can play guard I'm all for it. He can run the break and dish it so why not work the handle and have him as our emergency PG?
I mean... yes he can make plays but if marek ends up being our guard during any situation emergency or not I would love to watch that game

Very true. My preference would be to see Marek as little as possible at the 5, but our best lineup might feature him playing out of position again, to accommodate the likes of an improved Guerrier earning minutes, and a new dynamic wing like Griffin.

I was responding above to whether Guerrier / Marek AT FORWARD is the optimal combination. I don't think so, but it makes for an interesting discussion.

Lord knows we all have plenty of time to kill...
Absolutely, I agree about Guerrier. That dude is going to be VERY difficult to keep off the floor. If we are fortunate enough to get Haarms we will be loaded with players. I don’t know who will start but we will have combinations for every occasion. It’s going to be a fun year.

Absolutely, I agree about Guerrier. That dude is going to be VERY difficult to keep off the floor. If we are fortunate enough to get Haarms we will be loaded with players. I don’t know who will start but we will have combinations for every occasion. It’s going to be a fun year.

If we get Haarms...

All bets are off. I'd expect a top 15 kind of season. THAT would be exciting as hell.

Hard to envision him coming here, given our frontcourt depth. But maybe this alleged relationship with Edwards will pay dividends.

Having three front court players who can't shoot consistently alters how teams can defend us. Maybe Marek / Guerrier render my concerns invalid -- but I don't think it is a given that they suddenly show enough shooting to keep defenses honest.

Marek has versatility, no doubt. But if he can't shoot, then expect teams to pack it in, with opposing guards accepting the risk of getting in JG and Buddy's jocks, daring them to make a play off of the bounce. That's my fear.
but marek can shoot. he has a good mid range jump shot, which is good enough for the role i see him staking out. and between his sophomore season results & the clear improvement in his ft% this year, i think he'll prove to be a reasonable 3 pt threat as well, at least in the 33-34% range.
marek the playmaker at the high post
boo on the low post
q running the baseline
buddy & jgiii on the wings
makes all kinds of sense to me
That lineup has Marek at C, and no Sidibe. Could happen, a lot. Which creates some other problems defensively.
no,sorry i was unclear; that lineup has boo (bourama) at center

Always that one person (sarcasm I know) lol
not being sarcastic
i hate the idea of ditching a guy who has played through pain and injury for nearly 100 games and replacing him in his final season for a disloyal guy who just screwed his last team over without warning

not being sarcastic
i hate the idea of ditching a guy who has played through pain and injury for nearly 100 games and replacing him in his final season for a disloyal guy who just screwed his last team over without warning
It’s ok if it’s for us!!!

not being sarcastic
Ok, hypothetical question, what if you found out Haarms had a puppy. And Haarms loved that puppy more than anything. He is so far away from home and when he feels lonely he pets little Windmill, that’s the puppy’s name on account of he’s so homesick. And little Windmill loves him just as much. Everyone knows how much the two love each other. Well, one day the head coach is looking for Haarms, but he isn’t in his room, but Windmill is. The coach pets his little face, but then, as puppies are prone to do, he pees on the coach’s new Air Force Ones. The coach is very mad and he kicks Windmill. He isn’t hurt badly, but now he is scared of people, even Haarms. And Haarms knows the coach did it and can’t forgive him. So, he has to leave. What then?

I mean anything is possible but let's have some reality here. Syracuse hasn't really won many battles on the recruiting front of late. The only team with some pedigree that Cuse beat for a kid the last few years was Gonzaga and that was because there was a major connection with Jackson and his mom. I think it is a bit bold to think Syracuse is going to beat out the amount of schools after this kid. Would love to see it but man I won't be holding my breath. From reading this thread I feel like posters think it's almost certain he will find his way to the hill. If Duke and Kentucky are after this kid well you know how this usually winds up...

not being sarcastic
I definitely feel that tension myself

I mean anything is possible but let's have some reality here. Syracuse hasn't really won many battles on the recruiting front of late. The only team with some pedigree that Cuse beat for a kid the last few years was Gonzaga and that was because there was a major connection with Jackson and his mom. I think it is a bit bold to think Syracuse is going to beat out the amount of schools after this kid. Would love to see it but man I won't be holding my breath. From reading this thread I feel like posters think it's almost certain he will find his way to the hill. If Duke and Kentucky are after this kid well you know how this usually winds up...
Dior Johnson and Alan Griffin say hi.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom