Class of 2020 - C Matt Haarms / Transferring from Purdue | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Matt Haarms / Transferring from Purdue

skills we dont have at the center position...not even close. Look at the stats from this game. A 7 footer that can hit a 3? Love how rolls to the basket and when hes anywhere even close to the hoop slams it. High energy player.

Have a feeling a lot of schools are going to pitch him the idea of auditioning for a year at their program to get him the to league and say they can make him the next Porzingis type player. (UK) and the idea of playing in the zone might hurt us here...hope I'm wrong thinking this way.

Have a feeling a lot of schools are going to pitch him the idea of auditioning for a year at their program to get him the to league and say they can make him the next Porzingis type player. (UK) and the idea of playing in the zone might hurt us here...hope I'm wrong thinking this way.
Depends if they can sell him on rejecting 4 shots a game in the middle of the zone

I'll own this -- but I don't see Marek and Quincy as having compatible skill sets as starting forwards. Griffin plays alongside one of them -- hard to envision either being benched [I expect a big sophomore leap from Guerrier that will make it impossible for him not to approach 30 mpg].

But yes -- if Griffin get eligible, he starts.

Feels a lot like our funky lineup leading into the 2017 season with White, Lydon, Roberson, Coleman, etc.

I agree on Q. Not sure why so many are sleeping on him. Sure it took some time to adjust but he showed beastly potential. How many tough rebounds did he get last year? Often with a strong putback. I expect him to be very important for us next year. He's the only guy on the roster capable of doing that. Regardless of who starts, if Griffin is eligible I expect the F rotation to be Q, Marek and Griffin, with all playing big and important roles.

Ok, hypothetical question, what if you found out Haarms had a puppy. And Haarms loved that puppy more than anything. He is so far away from home and when he feels lonely he pets little Windmill, that’s the puppy’s name on account of he’s so homesick. And little Windmill loves him just as much. Everyone knows how much the two love each other. Well, one day the head coach is looking for Haarms, but he isn’t in his room, but Windmill is. The coach pets his little face, but then, as puppies are prone to do, he pees on the coach’s new Air Force Ones. The coach is very mad and he kicks Windmill. He isn’t hurt badly, but now he is scared of people, even Haarms. And Haarms knows the coach did it and can’t forgive him. So, he has to leave. What then?
Dumbest post I've ever read, not just here but on the internet. Sarcasm or not. I want my money back.

Haarms would help SU, but except for being 7-3 and 250 lbs., I'm not sure why he's attracting so much attention. It looks like 6-9, 270 lb. junior Trevion Williams was getting more minutes at center than Haarms as the 2019-20 season went on. Haarms did not start many of those later games, according to the ESPN box scores. Purdue's stats page indicates that Haarms played fewer than 20 minutes in over half of their games, and averaged only 4.6 rebounds per game. He only played more than 30 minutes in one game in 2019-20.

On the bright side, despite his limited minutes, Haarms averaged 8.6 points and 2 blocks per game for the season. In fairness, though, he missed some time in the middle of the season due to a concussion.

In comparison, Sidibe averaged a couple of minutes more per game than Haarms (23), averaging more rebounds (7.6), 6 points and 1.4 blocks per game in 2019-20. The improving Sidibe averaged at least 10 rebounds in the last 6 ACC games, with 3 double doubles.

Ok, hypothetical question, what if you found out Haarms had a puppy. And Haarms loved that puppy more than anything. He is so far away from home and when he feels lonely he pets little Windmill, that’s the puppy’s name on account of he’s so homesick. And little Windmill loves him just as much. Everyone knows how much the two love each other. Well, one day the head coach is looking for Haarms, but he isn’t in his room, but Windmill is. The coach pets his little face, but then, as puppies are prone to do, he pees on the coach’s new Air Force Ones. The coach is very mad and he kicks Windmill. He isn’t hurt badly, but now he is scared of people, even Haarms. And Haarms knows the coach did it and can’t forgive him. So, he has to leave. What then?
That is such a lovely story.

Haarms would help SU, but except for being 7-3 and 250 lbs., I'm not sure why he's attracting so much attention. It looks like 6-9, 270 lb. junior Trevion Williams was getting more minutes at center than Haarms as the 2019-20 season went on. Haarms did not start many of those later games, according to the ESPN box scores. Purdue's stats page indicates that Haarms played fewer than 20 minutes in over half of their games, and averaged only 4.6 rebounds per game. He only played more than 30 minutes in one game in 2019-20.

On the bright side, despite his limited minutes, Haarms averaged 8.6 points and 2 blocks per game for the season. In fairness, though, he missed some time in the middle of the season due to a concussion.

In comparison, Sidibe averaged a couple of minutes more per game than Haarms (23), averaging more rebounds (7.6), 6 points and 1.4 blocks per game in 2019-20. The improving Sidibe averaged at least 10 rebounds in the last 6 ACC games, with 3 double doubles.

4.6 boards per game isn’t really impressive for a tree

This is a pretty intriguing way to think about things.

My opinion only, but I have a really hard time not envisioning Quincy Guerrier as the starting 4 next season.

I hate talking about who will start because it's a meaningless distinction, but if Griffin plays next year I believe Gurreier will play more minites, score more points, and get more rebounds than Dolezaj.

not being sarcastic
i hate the idea of ditching a guy who has played through pain and injury for nearly 100 games and replacing him in his final season for a disloyal guy who just screwed his last team over without warning
Isn't the kid a grad transfer, as in scheduled to graduate this May. Hardly screwing his team over without warning. Likely, the school knew what he was doing.

Isn't the kid a grad transfer, as in scheduled to graduate this May. Hardly screwing his team over without warning. Likely, the school knew what he was doing.

I believe moqui is referencing Sidibe being replaced.

I suspect even if we don’t get Haarms, our centers will be able to play longer minutes without real foul trouble. That’s right... No Haarms, No fouls.
Good one.

Very true. My preference would be to see Marek as little as possible at the 5, but our best lineup might feature him playing out of position again, to accommodate the likes of an improved Guerrier earning minutes, and a new dynamic wing like Griffin.

I was responding above to whether Guerrier / Marek AT FORWARD is the optimal combination. I don't think so, but it makes for an interesting discussion.

Lord knows we all have plenty of time to kill...
There are some teams we can get away with that. But we saw this season, there are way too many teams that could just overpower is on the blocks.

He kind of looks like Ivan Drago, and that's bad a$$ enough for me.

Let's not pretend that Rocky IV made any sense. It was staged. Drago would have destroyed Rocky.

I need to get out of the house.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom