Class of 2020 - C Matt Haarms / Transferring from Purdue | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Matt Haarms / Transferring from Purdue

Having three front court players who can't shoot consistently alters how teams can defend us. Maybe Marek / Guerrier render my concerns invalid -- but I don't think it is a given that they suddenly show enough shooting to keep defenses honest.

Marek has versatility, no doubt. But if he can't shoot, then expect teams to pack it in, with opposing guards accepting the risk of getting in JG and Buddy's jocks, daring them to make a play off of the bounce. That's my fear.

I agree with you here. Our 1-3 need to be able to instill fear from the perimeter. I know I'm probably on an island, but I don't want to see Marek at the five, ever. He's too skinny and there is no way he's going to bulk up enough to be what we need there.

If we go JGIII, Buddy, Griffin, Marek and Haarms, I'd like that. I think Marek is our #2 ball handler on offense in that lineup. I know Marek *can* shoot the three, but I think he's more useful being a triple-threat with the ball in his hands, especially if he had a little more freedom to operate.

And I believe you're right about JGIII and Buddy. Good teams with solid guard defenders are going to get physical with those guys and dare them to do something besides shoot. Buddy showed some flashes of being able to get to the lane and pull up, but he has to get a little stronger and tighter with his handle. JGIII I think can do some damage once he works on his first step and his floater.

I know this is a Haarms thread, so all I'll say is having a guy that can alter shots at the rim and naturally get a few more boards just from his height would be a dramatic difference. If he has the ability to turn and throw a deep outlet pass off a board (sounds a lot simpler than it is), I think that's a difference maker to get our guys looks on the break.

Ok, hypothetical question, what if you found out Haarms had a puppy. And Haarms loved that puppy more than anything. He is so far away from home and when he feels lonely he pets little Windmill, that’s the puppy’s name on account of he’s so homesick. And little Windmill loves him just as much. Everyone knows how much the two love each other. Well, one day the head coach is looking for Haarms, but he isn’t in his room, but Windmill is. The coach pets his little face, but then, as puppies are prone to do, he pees on the coach’s new Air Force Ones. The coach is very mad and he kicks Windmill. He isn’t hurt badly, but now he is scared of people, even Haarms. And Haarms knows the coach did it and can’t forgive him. So, he has to leave. What then?

Did you find Steinbeck’s first draft of “Of Mice and Men” or something

Painter and staff were blindsided by the transfer. As someone I follow mentioned, this dead period gives coaches a lot more time than they'd usually have to tamper.
I think it’s more about the fact that kids aren’t on campus so their current coaches can’t keep an eye on them and stay in their ears, they have more unstructured time because they can’t practice, and handlers and other influencers can get in their ears.

I agree with you here. Our 1-3 need to be able to instill fear from the perimeter. I know I'm probably on an island, but I don't want to see Marek at the five, ever. He's too skinny and there is no way he's going to bulk up enough to be what we need there.

If we go JGIII, Buddy, Griffin, Marek and Haarms, I'd like that. I think Marek is our #2 ball handler on offense in that lineup. I know Marek *can* shoot the three, but I think he's more useful being a triple-threat with the ball in his hands, especially if he had a little more freedom to operate.

And I believe you're right about JGIII and Buddy. Good teams with solid guard defenders are going to get physical with those guys and dare them to do something besides shoot. Buddy showed some flashes of being able to get to the lane and pull up, but he has to get a little stronger and tighter with his handle. JGIII I think can do some damage once he works on his first step and his floater.

I know this is a Haarms thread, so all I'll say is having a guy that can alter shots at the rim and naturally get a few more boards just from his height would be a dramatic difference. If he has the ability to turn and throw a deep outlet pass off a board (sounds a lot simpler than it is), I think that's a difference maker to get our guys looks on the break.

Agree 100%.

Isn't the kid a grad transfer, as in scheduled to graduate this May. Hardly screwing his team over without warning. Likely, the school knew what he was doing.
or, you can read the thread

Dior Johnson and Alan Griffin say hi.

Dior is a tremendous get! A local kid that has been shooting in Melo before he was a teenager. Still 2 years away from setting foot on campus.

Come on Cuse reportedly beat out Dayton for Griffin. Not exactly a school with national recruiting chops.

Just some recent names off the top of my head that didn't say "Hi"......
Isaiah Stewart, Andre Jackson, Kennedy Chandler, Isaiah Jackson, Kofi Cockburn, Qudus Wahaab, Tre Mitchell, Cole Swider, Louis King, Jordan Tucker, Quade Green oh and throw in Patrick friggin Tape that everyone thought was coming to Cuse...twice

I will be comfortable standing by my original statement. I won't hold my breath thinking Cuse is a lock for this kid. Sorry head to head battles won't go well with Kentucky, and/or Duke.

The only head to head they won vs. UK was Dejuan Coleman (lost Anthony Davis, Nerlens Noel, Quade Green, Isaiah Jackson).

I can't think of anyone they beat head to head with Duke (lost Alex O'Connell, Jordan Tucker, Trevon Duvall, Cam Reddish).

Dior is a tremendous get! A local kid that has been shooting in Melo before he was a teenager. Still 2 years away from setting foot on campus.

Come on Cuse reportedly beat out Dayton for Griffin. Not exactly a school with national recruiting chops.

Just some recent names off the top of my head that didn't say "Hi"...
Isaiah Stewart, Andre Jackson, Kennedy Chandler, Isaiah Jackson, Kofi Cockburn, Qudus Wahaab, Tre Mitchell, Cole Swider, Louis King, Jordan Tucker, Quade Green oh and throw in Patrick friggin Tape that everyone thought was coming to Cuse...twice

I will be comfortable standing by my original statement. I won't hold my breath thinking Cuse is a lock for this kid. Sorry head to head battles won't go well with Kentucky, and/or Duke.

The only head to head they won vs. UK was Dejuan Coleman (lost Anthony Davis, Nerlens Noel, Quade Green, Isaiah Jackson).

I can't think of anyone they beat head to head with Duke (lost Alex O'Connell, Jordan Tucker, Trevon Duvall, Cam Reddish).
So, you are expecting to win recruiting battles against Kentucky and Duke? You understand the advantage those schools have, don’t you?

Why are people so hung up on Andre Jackson? We landed a better prospect in Kadary Richmond.

keep that negativity rollin Brotha!

Seems the staff is with us that an upgrade over J Edwards (and Marek) at Center is desired. First Tape, now Haarm.

Haarm would be a great fit. Split time w Sid and keep Marek at forward where he belongs. SU's defense with Haarm in and Marek at forward would be a huge improvement.

The problem is selling the incoming role. The center spot is Sid's to start. Plenty of minutes in a split situation to give out, but that's not what a lot of these transfers are looking for.

At what point does JB realize that we need a staff upgrade to get back in the game with these kids? Gerry made 6 3’s a lifetime ago and nobody outside of SU cares.

He'd be a homerun. When watching purdue games the last few years, I always say to whoever will listen, why don't we get centers like this.

Painter is great at pulling them in, really enjoy watching their type of basketball.

So, you are expecting to win recruiting battles against Kentucky and Duke? You understand the advantage those schools have, don’t you?

Not 1% of me thinks Cuse will beat those guys out and I am ok with that. My original message was let's be realistic which received a reply that "Dior and Griffin say hi!" There are 9 pages in 24 hours on this kid. You would think he played at JD based on the posts here. This kid would be a tremendous get and man I am hopeful the staff pulls of a coup.

At what point does JB realize that we need a staff upgrade to get back in the game with these kids? Gerry made 6 3’s a lifetime ago and nobody outside of SU cares.
Seriously. JB and the staff asleep at the wheel again. If they had any sense they would make Elijah Hughes the top assistant. Or Zion Williamson.

He'd be a homerun. When watching purdue games the last few years, I always say to whoever will listen, why don't we get centers like this.

Painter is great at pulling them in, really enjoy watching their type of basketball.

Agree. If JB isn't trying to bring in players that improve the team, he wouldn't be doing his job. I think Haarms improves the team after watching some Purdue teams. This is Division 1 basketball - competition is part of it.

Not 1% of me thinks Cuse will beat those guys out and I am ok with that. My original message was let's be realistic which received a reply that "Dior and Griffin say hi!" There are 9 pages in 24 hours on this kid. You would think he played at JD based on the posts here. This kid would be a tremendous get and man I am hopeful the staff pulls of a coup.
I understand your take on this. I think that, like with Duval and Reddish, the staff should evaluate and recruit the best players, but when it is clear the kid is looking for something we aren’t willing to give, we should move along.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom