Class of 2020 - C Mounir Hima (NJ) Transfer from Duquesne/COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Mounir Hima (NJ) Transfer from Duquesne/COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watched the first 37 seconds so far.

1) Wins the tip
2) Sets a successful high pick screen.
3) Grabs an Offensive rebound.
4) Makes a steal.

Some dead guys play 37 minutes and don't do all that and he did it in 37 seconds.

I watched the first half so far.

Sets a lot of screens and basically screening and rolling alongside rebounding is what he is out there for.

Positioning wasn't good early on and had a few really poor closeouts. Improved some as game went on including setting better screens.

Reaction time is definitely that of a player still raw and learning the game. Will need to rotate and respond faster on defense. Gets pushed out of position on the boards vs a smaller team a few times.

Did eventually win a couple rebound battles as he should have with such a big size advantage.

Ran the court ok but wasn't overly active. Brought his hands down defending a driver a couple times.

Size and length is legit- hoping the 240 listed weight is new weight and strength vs what we see on tape.

Big thing I saw is a kid who it took a bit to get into the game. As a sub he will need to find his way faster.

Again some tools here. Gotta hope he has been working hard this offseason and gets to work on campus asap.

Last edited:
just gets old and tiresome in a thread that's supposed to be focused on MOUNIR HIMA who is being brought in as a BACKUP CENTER to get the ad nauseam axes grinded about wanting a forward and wanting Boeheim gone
Yep, there a handful of posters that clearly have an anti JB agenda and are broken records in every thread. Gets really flipping old.

I am not an apologist for JB by any means, he is not infallible.

just gets old and tiresome in a thread that's supposed to be focused on MOUNIR HIMA who is being brought in as a BACKUP CENTER to get the ad nauseam axes grinded about wanting a forward and wanting Boeheim gone

In fairness my comment about a forward is directly related to Hima. Jesse is a key part offensively. Hima is a non factor on offense as a scorer. We need a consistent capable scorer at forward on the court when Hima is out there or we will struggle to score at all . It's critical one of the frosh and Benny make a huge splash. It's a huge unknown.

So in this case i do believe they are related.

Agree to respectfully disagree, then. Anselem was not a shot blocker -- I'll grant you that. And he was raw offensively, no argument there, but he was also new to the game. And he showed vast improvement last season over his first year. Don't you expect that trajectory to continue?

Also, he played against ACC caliber competition. Check out his rebounding stats once he was pushed into the starting lineup due to Jesse's injury. With the game on the line against B1G opponent, Indiana, he went to the line and nailed a pair of clutch free throws.

Hima struggled to get minutes on the last place team in the A10. Here's hoping that a change of scenery pays off, but I think when we talk about potential, we are comparing two players on two completely different levels. Frank got it done at the ACC level, despite being raw. It remains to be seen whether this replacement can.
I liked watching Frankie play and was sorry to see him go. He played hard and did a lot of good things.

I don't want to demean him.

Never saw Mounir play at Duquesne. Never saw him better in HS. But from the little film I have seen of him, I see a player who fits what we need from the center position better.

I have no interest in engaging further on this. Let's agree to disagree.

I liked watching Frankie play and was sorry to see him go. He played hard and did a lot of good things.

Never saw Mounir play at Duquesne. Never saw him better in HS. But from the little film I have seen of him, I see a player who fits what we need from the center position better.

It doesn't come across as you demeaning Frank at all.

Tom, you and I are generally on the same page on most topics, but not this time [which is fine]. Given the choice between Frank staying and adding this kid, I would prefer Frank.

But I do agree that Hima has some tools that could work in our system. We don't need our backup center to be a world beater.

ok that is your opinion. I think he is going to be a very good player
Agree, and Jesse wasn’t Jesse until he put the work in and got his shot. The potential was always there.

We finally bring in a raw youngster who actually has center size, and all these people complain. Most of them are the same ones who complain about our skinny centers or thin forwards trying to play center.
At least he has the size to play the position. He hasn't played that long so he shouldn't have a lot of bad habits to fix.
Being a smart player he should be able to learn fairly well.

I really hope he can contribute. Just cannot believe that with all the names in the portal, this is the only one we could grab. Idc if we were advertising solely backup minutes. We are still Syracuse.

In terms of centers, I disagree. Anselem left. Guys want to play, and minutes will be tough to come by next year.

I can see that narrowing the field down to younger and unproven players who might be more content to mostly sit for a year before getting a chance to possibly start the following two years….at a better school than they’re already at.

Can see why juniors or senior centers or guys who’ve already played and shown a lot wouldn’t come here.

I have to think we could land a proven forward if we tried, though.

We finally bring in a raw youngster who actually has center size, and all these people complain. Most of them are the same ones who complain about our skinny centers or thin forwards trying to play center.
At least he has the size to play the position. He hasn't played that long so he shouldn't have a lot of bad habits to fix.

And - the kid put on 20 lbs during his RS season, so he’s proven that he’s able to do it, and not afraid of hard work necessary.

Maybe Hima & Jesse can get SWOLE together.

Something I didn't add from my previous breakdown of that first half vs GW is that he is not a wild swinger blocking shots like both Jesse and Frank. I saw him bite too early on the perimeter but otherwise is looking to block it and avoid too much contact. I do like that in his game even if the video evidence is limited at this point. The downside to this is his slower reaction time won't fly getting many blocks against ACC athletes. He will need to be effective altering shots and defending walling up more so than chasing it down.

HE WAS A FRESHMAN LAST YEAR!
Yes he was. But, we are talking about being the backup center on NEXT year's team. Not, Pie in the Sky, 3 years from now; who knows if either newcomer center develops, adds weight, enters Portal, or whatever.

He was a redshirt freshman. Not a first year.
True, but considering his lack of high school playing time and being eased into PT at UD, I think he showed a lot of things to like on limited experience. I don't expect big men to get really going until they are soph's or jr's, even highly rated guys take time.

He was a redshirt frosh last year. He sat out in 2020-21.

He's 21 already with two years development at a low-D1 school.
Then Syracuse should of ditched Jesse after his freshman year as he was not much of anything that year.

I don't think that's it, at all.

People can be excited about a recruit and the tools he potentially brings to our system, and still be concerned about how his production on the worst team in the A10 translates to the ACC.

Both of those things can be simultaneously true.

Then Syracuse should of ditched Jesse after his freshman year as he was not much of anything that year.
V3hRjJs.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors