Class of 2020 - C Mounir Hima (NJ) Transfer from Duquesne/COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Mounir Hima (NJ) Transfer from Duquesne/COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Respectfully disagree.

Anselem was a poor defender and a non factor on offense. When he came into games, teams would suddenly be able to drive to the basket and get easy shots. Not a good shot blocker either.

The only way he could score was to get the ball next the basket, where he could dunk it.

At times he was a very good rebounder. At other times, he was not.

Good kid. I wish him great success at Georgia.

Mounir has far more potential. Whether he realizes that potential remains to be seen. His ceiling is higher than Frankie's. And his skill set is a better fir for our system. IMHO.
He only has more potential because he isn’t where Frank got to now

Respectfully disagree.

Anselem was a poor defender and a non factor on offense. When he came into games, teams would suddenly be able to drive to the basket and get easy shots. Not a good shot blocker either.

The only way he could score was to get the ball next the basket, where he could dunk it.

Mounir has far more potential. Whether he realizes that potential remains to be seen. His ceiling is higher than Frankie's. And his skill set is a better fir for our system. IMHO.

I really hope you are right. We have had so many hopes shattered the past 7 seasons with kids not meeting expectations and ultimately having to look at alternative lineups or kids struggling to earn JBs trust and the same. I was less disappointed in what we got in Hima vs what dasher hinted at.

All that said backup C worries me less than us having to rely so much on Benny and a frosh at forward without a 1 yr rental. That is more pressure on Jesse to me to stay on the court for his offense and more pressure on us defensively to be far improved if we have to go to such a green bench.

He only has more potential because he isn’t where Frank got to now
He has touch around the rim and showed he could convert in a number different ways. Frank could dunk, that's it. You can't just develop feel and finesse.

Why? The kid missed his Junior year of HS. He is from Africa, He basically just started playing basketball. He has 3 years left. He is very coordinated, runs like a deer, has a 7 8 wingspan weighs 240 pounds and did very well the games he started at the end of last season. He will need to rebound and defend the rim. I think he was a great get by the staff. If he stays healthy i believe he is going to shock many within two years.

This could’ve been posted verbatim about any number of project centers of the last fifteen years.

Good measurables!
Athletic!
Under the radar get!

He has touch around the rim and showed he could convert in a number different ways. Frank could dunk, that's it. You can't just develop feel and finesse.
So you’re telling me if you’re starting a team right now… you want Hima over Frank? I will not believe that

Respectfully disagree.

Agreed. I'd rather role with a big, long wingspan, athletic but raw center with potential next year -- we just need serviceable defense, and then hope he can blow up the following year when Jesse leaves. I think he has the potential to do so. Sounds a lot like Jesse a few years ago. I never really saw Frank as our center of the future, just a really good second option. I thought he might get overtaken by Carey or someone else at some point after Jesse leaves. Never thought he would command the vast majority of minutes. I was disappointed he transferred because I understood how hard it would be to recruit a backup from the portal and I figured there was a significant chance of a downgrade.

Always liked Frank though and he was important to the team. Also loved his "4 for 4" special in OT against Indiana. Went to Wendy's the next day and asked for the "Frank Anselem special" -- they had no idea what I was talking about. But I think in two years there's a real chance at Hima being a better option for the Cuse zone than Frank. Hima fits the system. With that said, I didn't watch a single minute of Duquesne basketball last year so I could be wrong. Also Frank is better right now. But we have to look forward.

Agreed. I'd rather role with a big, long wingspan, athletic but raw center with potential next year -- we just need serviceable defense, and then hope he can blow up the following year when Jesse leaves. I think he has the potential to do so. Sounds a lot like Jesse a few years ago. I never really saw Frank as our center of the future, just a really good second option. I thought he might get overtaken by Carey or someone else at some point after Jesse leaves. Never thought he would command the vast majority of minutes. I was disappointed he transferred because I understood how hard it would be to recruit a backup from the portal and I figured there was a significant chance of a downgrade.

Always liked Frank though and he was important to the team. Also loved his "4 for 4" special in OT against Indiana. Went to Wendy's the next day and asked for the "Frank Anselem special" -- they had no idea what I was talking about. But I think in two years there's a real chance at Hima being a better option for the Cuse zone than Frank. Hima fits the system. With that said, I didn't watch a single minute of Duquesne basketball last year so I could be wrong. Also Frank is better right now. But we have to look forward.
Frank never got to play!!! He went toe to toe with Duke and we almost pulled it out!!!

Not that we are writing him off, but we need to be better NOW. The program is not in a good place. Ballard was probably as low as some of us wanted to go, being that we were losing a pretty nice player in Frank. With Jesse’s foul issues, he may be thrown into a fire he isn’t ready for.
I'll take this kid over Ballard any day. One has a huge desire to learn and improve and one doesn't. One grew up playing the game and has already leveled off and one is just beginning his journey. And most importantly, one wants to be in Syracuse and one doesn't.

Also getting young transfers with potential is the way to go. Hima would be less likely to transfer again if he's unhappy with PT or coaching style because he'd have to sit out a year. Next year Hima will be a redshirt sophomore who already burned his freebie transfer. He'll have to battle Carey for the starting job after Jesse leaves, but if Carey wins the job maybe Hima will be content as a backup. That's half the battle in the new college basketball.

I'll take this kid over Ballard any day. One has a huge desire to learn and improve and one doesn't. One grew up playing the game and has already leveled off and one is just beginning his journey. And most importantly, one wants to be in Syracuse and one doesn't.
I hope you’re right man. But other than Ballard not wanting to be at cuse, I don’t see how Ballard isn’t a better fit.

Frank never got to play!!! He went toe to toe with Duke and we almost pulled it out!!!
Frank got his chances, and he was decent. However, there were clearly games after Jesse's injury that we probably would have won if Jesse played. I thought Frank was a good backup, but would never be Jesse. All I'm saying is I'd rather go find our next Jesse. Maybe Hima is the guy, or maybe not. I haven't seen him play. But he seems to fit the mold.

How are Himas hands? If he is going to be an upgrade as stated he needs to be able to have good hands. Frank improved a lot in this area and could go up and get it on the boards. This kid can be long, athletic and strong but if he has stone hands it's still a downgrade to Frank as I see it. Not to mention if we are a far weaker team shooting the 3 ball there is going to be a lot more traffic around the rim. Can he handle his own where there is far less spacing?

Last edited:
Frank got his chances, and he was decent. However, there were clearly games after Jesse's injury that we probably would have won if Jesse played. I thought Frank was a good backup, but would never be Jesse. All I'm saying is I'd rather go find our next Jesse. Maybe Hima is the guy, or maybe not. I haven't seen him play. But he seems to fit the mold.
Hima aint gonna ever be Jesse

Runs like a deer? Have you seen game tape? He moves fine, but he’s not Baye out there. Very coordinated? Please go watch tape. We aren’t like Iona College or something… well maybe we are… I get wanting to be optimistic, but cmon.
I did watch what was posted. I think he is very coordinated. Time will tell but i played and i think i have a good eye for basketball players

I hope you’re right man. But other than Ballard not wanting to be at cuse, I don’t see how Ballard isn’t a better fit.
To be fair, I wanted Ballard while we were recruiting him. Most didn't. I always wondered if he read all the negative opinions about him on this board and it deterred him from picking Cuse. He struck me as potentially sensitive--which of course wouldn't fit well with the coaching style here anyway. But there's no sense in comparisons because Ballard denied Cuse twice.

In any event, both Hima and Ballard have better size than Frank. I was mostly afraid we were going to end up with someone 6'9" and unathletic. We didn't, so that's good. Given that it would have been impossible to land a stud center, I prefer getting a young raw guy with upside potential.

I can't reply to everything in this thread, but here's a few things:

- Wes Johnson was the second best frosh in the Big 12 his first year, second to some guy named Kevin Durant. Wes was legit.

- Frank's DBPM was second highest to Jesse (unless you want to count Sid) and his WS/40 was higher than Jimmy's or JGIII's. It's tough with how limited he played, but Frank is much likely better than this kid. Much likely has more potential on the top end as well.

Maybe this dude will pop, never say never. But this is more in line with what a team trending downward is doing versus one going upward.

Good luck to this kid, hope he improves.

To be fair, I wanted Ballard while we were recruiting him. Most didn't. I always wondered if he read all the negative opinions about him on this board and it deterred him from picking Cuse. He struck me as potentially sensitive--which of course wouldn't fit well with the coaching style here anyway. But there's no sense in comparisons because Ballard denied Cuse twice.

In any event, both Hima and Ballard have better size than Frank. I was mostly afraid we were going to end up with someone 6'9" and unathletic. We didn't, so that's good. Given that it would have been impossible to land a stud center, I prefer getting a young raw guy with upside potential.
I get it, but go after a 4/5 who can do things offensively

I can't reply to everything in this thread, but here's a few things:

- Wes Johnson was the second best frosh in the Big 12 his first year, second to some guy named Kevin Durant. Wes was legit.

- Frank's DBPM was second highest to Jesse (unless you want to count Sid) and his WS/40 was higher than Jimmy's or JGIII's. It's tough with how limited he played, but Frank is much likely better than this kid. Much likely has more potential on the top end as well.

Maybe this dude will pop, never say never. But this is more in line with what a team trending downward is doing versus one going upward.

Good luck to this kid, hope he improves.
Preach. I second this.

Hima aint gonna ever be Jesse
Maybe you're right. But now we have 2 young centers, Hima and Carey, who possess the unteachable things and have great potential. Hopefully one of them meets their potential in the near future.

Maybe you're right. But now we have 2 young centers, Hima and Carey, who possess the unteachable things and have great potential. Hopefully one of them meets their potential in the near future.
I get it, but we can’t be doing this anymore. We are in complete disarray. Look at Boeheim’s brother, Larranaga… thriving for years now in the portal

Status
Not open for further replies.