Class of 2020 - C Mounir Hima (NJ) Transfer from Duquesne/COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE | Page 23 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Mounir Hima (NJ) Transfer from Duquesne/COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd give the forwards a C. (until further notice)
I was leaning towards a C but at this point I have to believe the coaches have BW at 100%. With the talent at center and the backcourt if Benny was still a big ? they would be foolish to roll the dice on the season when guys are available. I can see them having one forward position open for competition among solid recruits, but not both.

So basically we have one of our best backcourts of all time and one of the best in the country? That’s what an A means to me.

Or do you give every decent Cuse backcourt an A?

I’d be curious which past Syracuse backcourts you also give an A to?
I would suggest we are using a standard distribution across A,B,C,D, and F... Not across every team ever, but across the current teams in high major basketball, because who cares if Girard is better than directional university guards? So an A position group should be a top 20% of all high major groups. I'll call high major the top 10 conferences by NET, although only because that includes the WCC, and thus Gonzaga.

Guards: B

Girard is a proven commodity as a shooter and ball handler (for better or worse) who is moving into a more natural role for the first time, so should light up some score boards. His point guard skills cost us some games, so having Mintz and Torrence to help him improves this group. Mintz is very high upside, but inexperienced at this level, and Torrence is a steady pass first point guard who hasn't done much yet in his college career. Copeland is unlikely to play this year. I think you could argue that this group is better than 60-75% of all guards groups, but 80th percentile seems a big stretch.

Forwards: D

This group has a ton of potential, but has done almost nothing. We seem to have Benny Williams locked in at one forward, but nobody can even say for sure if he's a big small forward or a quick power forward or ineffective. He was a highly rated recruit, and JB seems to have faith he will be good, but his upside hasn't yet come through. Everybody else is a freshman or bench warmer. As it stands, Brown, Taylor and Bunch are likely candidates to be in the rotation, but nobody really knows what to expect from them.

Center: B

Edwards is an extremely solid center, perhaps the best in the ACC. But he is foul prone and his backups in Hima and Carey are largely and completely unknown, respectively. At least neither is 6'9"and 175lbs like former backup centers.

Intangibles: B

This team is way better constructed than last year. Or defense had too little athleticism and we had too many guys who could only help the team by shooting. Our upcoming team has everything. Pick and roll, drive and finish, drive and dish, three point assassins, drive and kick, rebounding and athletes to play good defense again. We should be able to score, even if we can't figure out exactly who is going to score what. But more importantly, we should get better all season long on defense, and not get torched on the boards game after game all year long. And don't get me started again on breaking pressure and inbounding successfully.

I would suggest we are using a standard distribution across A,B,C,D, and F... Not across every team ever, but across the current teams in high major basketball, because who cares if Girard is better than directional university guards? So an A position group should be a top 20% of all high major groups. I'll call high major the top 10 conferences by NET, although only because that includes the WCC, and thus Gonzaga.

Guards: B

Girard is a proven commodity as a shooter and ball handler (for better or worse) who is moving into a more natural role for the first time, so should light up some score boards. His point guard skills cost us some games, so having Mintz and Torrence to help him improves this group. Mintz is very high upside, but inexperienced at this level, and Torrence is a steady pass first point guard who hasn't done much yet in his college career. Copeland is unlikely to play this year. I think you could argue that this group is better than 60-75% of all guards groups, but 80th percentile seems a big stretch.

Forwards: D

This group has a ton of potential, but has done almost nothing. We seem to have Benny Williams locked in at one forward, but nobody can even say for sure if he's a big small forward or a quick power forward or ineffective. He was a highly rated recruit, and JB seems to have faith he will be good, but his upside hasn't yet come through. Everybody else is a freshman or bench warmer. As it stands, Brown, Taylor and Bunch are likely candidates to be in the rotation, but nobody really knows what to expect from them.

Center: B

Edwards is an extremely solid center, perhaps the best in the ACC. But he is foul prone and his backups in Hima and Carey are largely and completely unknown, respectively. At least neither is 6'9"and 175lbs like former backup centers.

Intangibles: B

This team is way better constructed than last year. Or defense had too little athleticism and we had too many guys who could only help the team by shooting. Our upcoming team has everything. Pick and roll, drive and finish, drive and dish, three point assassins, drive and kick, rebounding and athletes to play good defense again. We should be able to score, even if we can't figure out exactly who is going to score what. But more importantly, we should get better all season long on defense, and not get torched on the boards game after game all year long. And don't get me started again on breaking pressure and inbounding successfully.
i would say your grades are the floor for each group. there's a big chance jesse/mounir is higher than B, but no guarantee. same with guards. could easily be an A, as well. Forwards are a bunch of question marks could go either way...IF, say, Benny comes out a legit 5star type player, it changes everything...and it is possible.

but yeah, I see where you are coming from...

I generally don't like to speculate.
But the only players we know anything about on the ACC level are Jesse, Joe and Symir.
That's not a bad nucleus.
But, as usual these days, what we have appears to be a lot of ifs.

The Orange could have a big upside surprise especially IF Benny breaks out.
Or more mediocrity as the freshmen experience the same kind of welcome to college that Benny Williams did.

i would say your grades are the floor for each group. there's a big chance jesse/mounir is higher than B, but no guarantee. same with guards. could easily be an A, as well. Forwards are a bunch of question marks could go either way...IF, say, Benny comes out a legit 5star type player, it changes everything...and it is possible.

but yeah, I see where you are coming from...
Well, if Williams has the huge sophomore leap and is suddenly a top 50 player in all of college basketball, we'll be a top 10 team by the NCAA tournament.

I don't think he'll do that, as it's rare for that big of a leap in production. Hopefully he will have a Damone Brown, Hakim Warrick or Michael Carter Williams type leap.

As usual, I'm a bit late to the party, but I wanted to say that I Iike this signing. I think it's time that fans accept the fact that the type of system we run doesn't attract many elite centers, and it's ok. We need guys who are willing to spend a year to learn the system, and be a defensive minded player that doesn't require the offense to run through him. (The fact that Jesse has developed so well offensively is a bonus). Five star guys and most four star guys want to make an immediate impact.

The best big man for our system requires length, mobility, IQ, work ethic, a willingness to wait to play while learning the zone, AND strength. It appears this guy checks all of those boxes. At the very least, we have a guy who can give us five fouls, provide depth, and give Jesse a challenge in practice. If he bombs, we recruit over him. I don't think he will. It's Hima time baby!

As usual, I'm a bit late to the party, but I wanted to say that I Iike this signing. I think it's time that fans accept the fact that the type of system we run doesn't attract many elite centers, and it's ok. We need guys who are willing to spend a year to learn the system, and be a defensive minded player that doesn't require the offense to run through him. (The fact that Jesse has developed so well offensively is a bonus). Five star guys and most four star guys want to make an immediate impact.

The best big man for our system requires length, mobility, IQ, work ethic, a willingness to wait to play while learning the zone, AND strength. It appears this guy checks all of those boxes. At the very least, we have a guy who can give us five fouls, provide depth, and give Jesse a challenge in practice. If he bombs, we recruit over him. I don't think he will. It's Hima time baby!
Watch his jump shot in his high lights, we haven't seen that at the Cuse before, that I recall.

Yes we have
I'm not sure why so many posters feel the need to cut Hima into pieces. Buzz offered him at A&M and probably thought he had talent and would be something by his third year, which is where he is now. For the record, I do not remember any Syracuse big man shooting jump shots as a significant part of his game. I have seen it at other programs and in the pro's, but not at Syracuse.

I'm not sure why so many posters feel the need to cut Hima into pieces. Buzz offered him at A&M and probably thought he had talent and would be something by his third year, which is where he is now. For the record, I do not remember any Syracuse big man shooting jump shots as a significant part of his game. I have seen it at other programs and in the pro's, but not at Syracuse.

Lol yeah what I just said is cutting him into pieces... I am simply pointing out your error. It's not a mark on Hima

Fab Melo
I can't hardly remember Fab playing at SU because of the tragic ending of him being held out of the tourney. He did have more of the international game though, your right. I have high hopes for Mounir, I think the staff got a steel.

I can't hardly remember Fab playing at SU because of the tragic ending of him being held out of the tourney. He did have more of the international game though, your right. I have high hopes for Mounir, I think the staff got a steel.
From what I remember, JB didn't want him shooting from the outside as much as Fab wanted. But, he allowed him one shot per game, if he made it, he could take another. I remember one game where he hit a few. They were about foul line or slightly further out. I may be misremembering.

We have had more than a few bigs who showcased a jumper in highlights before they got here. Not many have had the green light here because it's not a high pct shot for most centers at the college level. More guys develop that at the next level. So Hima flashing it at Duquesne a couple times isn't noteworthy or unique in the sense of having that skill. Also that skill being flashed a couple times isn't proof of having a reliable mid post jumper. If he is dropping 3 or 4 a game that is much different than every now and then. You will see even raw bigs take and make those on occasion. Being able to set your feet and not rush the shot as a big with defenders all around you is not such a simple matter. Many guys rush that shot and thus it isn't a true live game skill against equal or better comp.

From what I remember, JB didn't want him shooting from the outside as much as Fab wanted. But, he allowed him one shot per game, if he made it, he could take another. I remember one game where he hit a few. They were about foul line or slightly further out. I may be misremembering.
I'm just imagining if in practice, a player can shoot from wherever and is making them at a high %, then he is going to get the green light in the game situation. Not sure how good of shooter Fab was or Hima is, but would like to see SU have that kind of player, a big man who can shoot from range.

I'm just imagining if in practice, a player can shoot from wherever and is making them at a high %, then he is going to get the green light in the game situation. Not sure how good of shooter Fab was or Hima is, but would like to see SU have that kind of player, a big man who can shoot from range.

If you find one that is long and athletic enough to anchor the zone as well then sure. You can find stretch 5s but they often aren't as good all around athletes. 5s that can do all of that well are draft picks. Stretch 5s with size that can't move sure you can find quite a few.

Yes we have
I wasn't overly impressed with Hima's shooting, it's rare a guy his size shoots only 40% from two. His couple made jumpers looked decent enough, but not overwhelming.

Who do you have in mind when you say "yes we have"? We have had very few centers we would let take any kind of jumper.

I wasn't overly impressed with Hima's shooting, it's rare a guy his size shoots only 40% from two. His couple made jumpers looked decent enough, but not overwhelming.

Who do you have in mind when you say "yes we have"? We have had very few centers we would let take any kind of jumper.

Senior Rak had a nice face-up game, to go with his awesome post moves and counters.

Soph Fab could hit FT line J's.

Elvir Ovcina!!

And... that's about it;
if you don't count our stretch 4's who got put into emergency 5 duty, like Lydon and Marek.

We want a dude like Hima living on dunks and putbacks, like AO.
Or Baye. Or Chewie.

He shot 83% from the free throw line, on a small sample, but that is often a good data point for shooting ability

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom