Class of 2020 - C Mounir Hima (NJ) Transfer from Duquesne/COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE | Page 21 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Mounir Hima (NJ) Transfer from Duquesne/COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
instead of trying to calculate season avgs,...

just imagine the players on the floor - for example, Joe, Judah, Benny, Taylor and Edwards - do you see that lineup struggling to get a quality shot? I dont.

Even if its just joe and jesse pick and roll...teams didnt have an answer for that in 4 game winning streak before jesse got hurt.

They'll be able to get a quality shot every time down the floor...which is all that matters.

if *gasp* the coaches could actually start scheming some offense for the personnel it could start really getting dangerous...

I think people are also chalking up zeros for the frehsman but I highly doubt that theyll all do something like that. highly.
You got a like at "Joe and Jesse pick and roll"

The rest of the post was ok too. :)

Last edited:
Perhaps.
But two things:

1. The Orange were looking for a back-up.
Were there better players in the portal?
Of course.
But how many wanted to come to SU as a back-up?

2. Are the stats and analytics from Duquesne really transferable?
There were other players on the court who contributed to their 6-24 record (notwithstanding the fact that Mounir played a total of 5 minutes in the 6 wins).
Hima's team was terrible because they couldn't score. They didn't even touch 70 once until the third to last game of the season.

We aren't going to ask Hima to score unless it's him and the basket alone, so only his defensive contributions will really matter. We know he can block a shot, bang with big centers and set a decent pick. In 8-12 minutes a game, he isn't going to hurt us.

Also, he put on 20lbs of muscle during the season last year, difficult enough... But he also did it while fasting for Ramadan! He went from a bench warmer to a starter in a single season of improvement, in his first season of playing college ball.

And his measurable talent is interesting. Huge wingspan, decent agility and he's a svelte 240 right now.

He could be yet another big man who couldn't cut it, but I doubt it... My bet is he's very much in the center rotation after Edwards leaves, either as starter or primary backup, and this thread will look just as good as the "really good takes" in the Edwards recruiting thread.

Hima is a good developmental prospect extremely similar to guys we have successfully developed in this system. This is good. Bigs are much harder to find and take longer to develop. We will recruit a Big next year after Jessie starting min leave.

The one thing no one realizes is that Carey may be more of a 4 than 5. Has anyone ever stood next to him? No way he's bigger than 6'9 180lbs.
I have, and he's all of 6'11.

Hima's team was terrible because they couldn't score. They didn't even touch 70 once until the third to last game of the season.

We aren't going to ask Hima to score unless it's him and the basket alone, so only his defensive contributions will really matter. We know he can block a shot, bang with big centers and set a decent pick. In 8-12 minutes a game, he isn't going to hurt us.

Also, he put on 20lbs of muscle during the season last year, difficult enough... But he also did it while fasting for Ramadan! He went from a bench warmer to a starter in a single season of improvement, in his first season of playing college ball.

And his measurable talent is interesting. Huge wingspan, decent agility and he's a svelte 240 right now.

He could be yet another big man who couldn't cut it, but I doubt it... My bet is he's very much in the center rotation after Edwards leaves, either as starter or primary backup, and this thread will look just as good as the "really good takes" in the Edwards recruiting thread.
Hima presents JB with what looks like a reasonably viable option on D (wont know for sure until we see him play against ACC comp), especially relative to having no options at the 5 that are a true 5 and not converted 4s. The potential problem is if those 8-12 minutes you listed are more than that because of Jesse's fouling history. We will be playing mostly 4 on 5 at the other end whenever Hima is on the floor. Yup, Hima will set big picks but teams will double the ball off of all those screens or leave their 5 "free" to rim protect against dribble penetration.

I expect that we see JB go with smaller lineups (either 3 Gs or 3 Fs) with frequency when Jesse is out. JB will use Hima more as a situational option when we need more D, IMO.

Hima presents JB with what looks like a reasonably viable option on D (wont know for sure until we see him play against ACC comp), especially relative to having no options at the 5 that are a true 5 and not converted 4s. The potential problem is if those 8-12 minutes you listed are more than that because of Jesse's fouling history. We will be playing mostly 4 on 5 at the other end whenever Hima is on the floor. Yup, Hima will set big picks but teams will double the ball off of all those screens or leave their 5 "free" to rim protect against dribble penetration.

I expect that we see JB go with smaller lineups (either 3 Gs or 3 Fs) with frequency when Jesse is out. JB will use Hima more as a situational option when we need more D, IMO.
All they have to do is have him roll to the basket for a dunk. That would stop that really guick.

All they have to do is have him roll to the basket for a dunk. That would stop that really guick.
If it were that easy, Anslem and JBA would have done it. The pick and roll is much more finessed for the 5 in terms of footwork, timing, body coordination, court awareness, catching the ball cleanly in space/traffic, and immediately transitioning to an offensive threat that can finish or pass. We saw how long it took Jesse to finally master all of that to where he now forces teams to have to defend him.

Hima is a good developmental prospect extremely similar to guys we have successfully developed in this system. This is good. Bigs are much harder to find and take longer to develop. We will recruit a Big next year after Jessie starting min leave.

The one thing no one realizes is that Carey may be more of a 4 than 5. Has anyone ever stood next to him? No way he's bigger than 6'9 180lbs.

6-9? Umm no he is 6'11/7-0. Nice Reverse Rothstein though

I have, and he's all of 6'11.

FMk9pBgXMAU0U0B

Taylor and Bunch have as well. Peter looks about 5 inches taller than both. He also said he was 210 in a PS article a few months ago.

You were probably right though 2-3 years ago.

FMk9pBgXMAU0U0B

Taylor and Bunch have as well. Peter looks about 5 inches taller than both. He also said he was 210 in a PS article a few months ago.

You were probably right though 2-3 years ago.
I meant "every bit of" 6-11, or at least 6'11. He's one tall dude ... who (when his time comes) is going to light it up for the Orange. Impressive young man.

Last edited:
We lost because of ball handling? We only had 11 turnovers which is pretty good considering we went to OT. Plus we had more pts off turnovers. We lost because we got the piss beat out of us on the boards and they took more than twice as many FTs.
As with many games we lost we could not inbound the ball. Once the press went on we folded. No pg. A problem we have fixed. Now what is our forward situation?

As with many games we lost we could not inbound the ball. Once the press went on we folded. No pg. A problem we have fixed. Now what is our forward situation?

Way done the list that game. Sorry.

Way done the list that game. Sorry.
A lot of people only remember blowing the lead after we had the ball and a one point lead with 16 seconds left. Girard received the inbound pass and under light pressure dribbled the ball off his knee... The game was blown right then, Girard hitting a jumper to force overtime just prolonged the agony.

There were several games where late turnovers, specifically around our inability to inbound and advance the ball, cost us the game. It is even more agonizing for most fans to lose this way than by getting dominated on the boards. Hence, we all remember the turnovers more than the predictable rebound deficit.

Moving Girard to shooting guard and allowing Mintz (if he's up to the task) or Torrence to be the primary ball handler should help our ball security next year.

I personally would much rather lose a rock fight in the 60s where we play solid basketball and just can't score than one where we get a 15 point lead and then can't handle a crappy press and lose.

A lot of people only remember blowing the lead after we had the ball and a one point lead with 16 seconds left. Girard received the inbound pass and under light pressure dribbled the ball off his knee... The game was blown right then, Girard hitting a jumper to force overtime just prolonged the agony.

There were several games where late turnovers, specifically around our inability to inbound and advance the ball, cost us the game. It is even more agonizing for most fans to lose this way than by getting dominated on the boards. Hence, we all remember the turnovers more than the predictable rebound deficit.

Moving Girard to shooting guard and allowing Mintz (if he's up to the task) or Torrence to be the primary ball handler should help our ball security next year.

I personally would much rather lose a rock fight in the 60s where we play solid basketball and just can't score than one where we get a 15 point lead and then can't handle a crappy press and lose.

Yes people have tunnel vision like that thinking 1 play wipe out 45 mins. If we don’t turn it over but don’t make a shot, who’s to say unc doesn’t get the rebound and goes down and scores for the win?

Yes people have tunnel vision like that thinking 1 play wipe out 45 mins.
Crazy thing about sports is with a binary win/loss outcome, yes, one play at the end can wipe out all of the remaining game time.

Crazy thing about sports is with a binary win/loss outcome, yes, one play at the end can wipe out all of the remaining game time.

With assumptions of how the rest of the game plays out. And just think if Jessie hadn’t been hurt and we got beat up on the boards giving up rebound after rebound. None of that played a factor.

Yes people have tunnel vision like that thinking 1 play wipe out 45 mins. If we don’t turn it over but don’t make a shot, who’s to say unc doesn’t get the rebound and goes down and scores for the win?
If Girard does his job and either dribbles out the clock or forces them to foul him, we should be up 3 with about 10 seconds left and then having a full court to travel. JB probably fouls to force another possession and we win by free throw contest.

I watched Georgetown come back from down 9 with under 10 seconds left against a mid major once... But you don't expect crazy things to happen if you don't hand the game over, but Girard did. Next year, Torrence or Mintz have the ball in that circumstance, instead of Girard, and we win.

If it was a one time thing, people wouldn't be so frustrated.

If Girard does his job and either dribbles out the clock or forces them to foul him, we should be up 3 with about 10 seconds left and then having a full court to travel. JB probably fouls to force another possession and we win by free throw contest.

I watched Georgetown come back from down 9 with under 10 seconds left against a mid major once... But you don't expect crazy things to happen if you don't have the game over, and Girard did. Next year, Torrence or Mintz have the ball instead of Girard and we win.

We’re we able to run out the clock? I don’t remember. I just know we got the ball with 42 secs left.

I watched Georgetown come back from down 9 with under 10 seconds left against a mid major once... But you don't expect crazy things to happen if you don't hand the game over, but Girard did. Next year, Torrence or Mintz have the ball in that circumstance, instead of Girard, and we win.

I just looked at the last minute. We couldn’t run out the clock. There was a 12 second difference. And Joe didn’t dribble the ball off his leg. That was the in bounds Nick Joe made a bounce pass to buddy and unfortunately just as he passed it, buddy took a baby step forward and the ball went off his leg. Let’s assume turnover. Buddy has 4 secs on the shot clock and 16 on the game clock. So we’re now able to predict what happens those last 16 secs?

You’ll have to watch the last 42 secs over.

I just looked at the last minute. We couldn’t run out the clock. There was a 12 second difference. And Joe didn’t dribble the ball off his leg. That was the in bounds Nick Joe made a bounce pass to buddy and unfortunately just as he passed it, buddy took a baby step forward and the ball went off his leg. Let’s assume turnover. Buddy has 4 secs on the shot clock and 16 on the game clock. So we’re now able to predict what happens those last 16 secs?
This summary unfairly lets Joe off the hook. It was a horrible pass.

Watching a replay is easy.
Do you have it somewhere? I seem to be unable to find full game footage anywhere.

If I'm remembering a different game, I could understand that... Nobody wants to relive trauma over and over. :)

Do you have it somewhere? I seem to be unable to find full game footage anywhere.

If I'm remembering a different game, I could understand that... Nobody wants to relive trauma over and over. :)

Here ya go. It’s a condensed version but the whole game. They cut out all the timeouts, halftime etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom