Class of 2020 - C Mounir Hima (NJ) Transfer from Duquesne/COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Mounir Hima (NJ) Transfer from Duquesne/COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here ya go. It’s a condensed version but the whole game. They cut out all the timeouts, halftime etc.

Yeah, I definitely had a different game in mind... Girard and Buddy still cost us by not even getting the ball in, but that wasn't the play I was talking about. However, Girard throwing the ball off Buddy's feet didn't disprove my point.

The play I was thinking of Girard received the ball on the right side under light pressure and was advancing toward half court where he just dropped the ball out of bounds. I thought it was just after an opponents made basket and we still were up by a point or two, and that turnover cost us the game pretty directly.

That play ring any bells for anyone? I suppose the pain must not be too bad anymore if I'm asking for horrific game tape. :(

Last edited:
Yeah, I definitely had a different game in mind... Girard and Buddy still cost us by not even getting the ball in, but that wasn't the play I was talking about. However, Girard throwing the ball off Buddy's feet didn't disprove my point.

The play I was thinking of Girard received the ball on the right side under light pressure and was advancing toward half court where he just plain old list the handle and dropped the ball out of bounds. I thought it was just after an opponents made basket and we still were up by a point or two, and that turnover cost us the game pretty directly.

That play ring any bells for anyone? I suppose the pain just not be too bad any more if I'm asking for horrific game tape. :(
Honestly ball handling/inbounding the ball cost us so many games at the end that I can’t even remember which one is which.

Both Miami games and at Wake Forest for sure.

Yes I remember Girard just flat out losing the ball on the right sideline, probably in one of those games.

Here ya go. It’s a condensed version but the whole game. They cut out all the timeouts, halftime etc.

The play I'm thinking of was the Miami game, I think. Girard got the inbound after a made basket with 46 seconds left and was advancing up the right side with light pressure when he just plain old lost the handle and dropped the ball out of bounds with 42 seconds in the game and 20 seconds on the shot clock. We were up 72-69 at the time of the turnover. It didn't help that it was immediately preceded by an Anselem turnover that resulted in a layup and immediately followed by a Swider turnover that resulted in a foul which resulted in an offensive rebound of the missed free throw which resulted in the game losing basket.

We took two shots, both misses, had three turnovers and gave up baskets on two offensive rebounds in the last minute of that game, thus blowing 7 point lead in the last minute. Our last scoring was two Buddy free throws at 1:10.

That last minute was our season in a microcosm, death by a thousand cuts, snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, or whatever other cliche you like.

Last edited:
The play I'm thinking of was the Miami game, I think. Girard got the inbound after a made basket with 46 seconds left and was advancing up the right side with light pressure when he just plain old lost the handle and dropped the ball out of bounds. We were up 72-69at the time of the turnover. It didn't help that it was immediately preceded by an Anselem turnover that resulted in a layup and immediately followed by a Swider turnover that resulted in a foul which resulted in an offensive rebound of the missed free throw which resulted in the game losing basket.
Please make it stop.

It is a consensus on these boards that our Senior Guard is not a true point guard. For a college off guard he has good enough "handles". Game is usually not lost on one play but "momentum" is a real thing. This season we had the "double whammy" of having both impact us at the end of the game at least 3x. Wake, and Miami x 2. That is the difference from 16-17 and 19-14.

I would like to forget this season just like the seasons where we lost to Richmond and Vermont in the NCAA's. Lets move one and in reality, Girard has improved consistenly, Jesse has improved exponentially and I belive that we can expect the same with Symir's and Benny's jump in improvement. Girard Junior year is better than Cooneys Senior year. (on offence). Give that some thought. He maintains that level and improves his FG %..... Thats what we want to see as fans in having our players develop.

I think we have a great shot to get 20+ wins in the upcoming year an be a solid bubble team (LOL) and just as a few posters mentioned earlier in the theread, proper inbounding would most likely give us 3 additional wins.

Go CUSE.

Please make it stop.

It is a consensus on these boards that our Senior Guard is not a true point guard. For a college off guard he has good enough "handles". Game is usually not lost on one play but "momentum" is a real thing. This season we had the "double whammy" of having both impact us at the end of the game at least 3x. Wake, and Miami x 2. That is the difference from 16-17 and 19-14.

I would like to forget this season just like the seasons where we lost to Richmond and Vermont in the NCAA's. Lets move one and in reality, Girard has improved consistenly, Jesse has improved exponentially and I belive that we can expect the same with Symir's and Benny's jump in improvement. Girard Junior year is better than Cooneys Senior year. (on offence). Give that some thought. He maintains that level and improves his FG %... Thats what we want to see as fans in having our players develop.

I think we have a great shot to get 20+ wins in the upcoming year an be a solid bubble team (LOL) and just as a few posters mentioned earlier in the theread, proper inbounding would most likely give us 3 additional wins.

Go CUSE.
With the addition of Mounir, I would the center position an A, The guard position is fully loaded and I would give that an A. forward position is less defined at this point, but if Benny is ready that is a good starting point. Then you have 6 other players who could play forward which is gives options and opportunities for the team. The players coming in are solid recruits and think a few of them will respond, I would give forwards a B. The team is in a strong position and a good place going forward.

Right, I somehow led a tangent talking about the guards in a center recruit's thread... Sorry.

I'm pretty high on next year's team, and how Hima is going to help next year and after Edwards is gone.

But, I always talk myself into thinking the team could be good.

Even last year, we coulda shoulda woulda beaten a Elite 8 and a Final Four team in the last weeks of the season if we coulda inbounded and advanced the ball. :)

The real question in my mind regarding Mounir is, can he hit 3 point shots? He has a nice shooters touch and in the limited tape available has shown he can make jump shots. Could he be a big man that can go out to the three point line and knock some down at a decent %?

The real question in my mind regarding Mounir is, can he hit 3 point shots? He has a nice shooters touch and in the limited tape available has shown he can make jump shots. Could he be a big man that can go out to the three point line and knock some down at a decent %?
images.jpeg

Hima presents JB with what looks like a reasonably viable option on D (wont know for sure until we see him play against ACC comp), especially relative to having no options at the 5 that are a true 5 and not converted 4s. The potential problem is if those 8-12 minutes you listed are more than that because of Jesse's fouling history. We will be playing mostly 4 on 5 at the other end whenever Hima is on the floor. Yup, Hima will set big picks but teams will double the ball off of all those screens or leave their 5 "free" to rim protect against dribble penetration.

I expect that we see JB go with smaller lineups (either 3 Gs or 3 Fs) with frequency when Jesse is out. JB will use Hima more as a situational option when we need more D, IMO.
With the addition of Mounir, I would the center position an A, The guard position is fully loaded and I would give that an A. forward position is less defined at this point, but if Benny is ready that is a good starting point. Then you have 6 other players who could play forward which is gives options and opportunities for the team. The players coming in are solid recruits and think a few of them will respond, I would give forwards a B. The team is in a strong position and a good place going forward.
Our forwards are a solid D, on an A-F scale, until proven otherwise. Therefore, I would play a 3 guard offense, and hope we can field one good forward. It would be wise to expect nothing from Hamir at this point. He has upside but is a project. Our future is bubblelicious. Big picture is that the playing field has shifted, and not in our favor. My crystal ball says that we will be OK financially but so so on the field.

There are big men that shoot the 3. In college and in the pro's. Why not at Syracuse? Run the pick and roll and the center rolls out instead of in and has a guard on him with space, for instance.
That's a nice wish.
But besides a last second must shoot situation, the Orange haven't had a center who might hit a 3 since Elvir Ovcina.

I can tell you with 100% certainty that if Hima attempts a 3pt shot, JB will signal his bench for a substitution faster than he ever has in his 47 years of coaching

I can tell you with 100% certainty that if Hima attempts a 3pt shot, JB will signal his bench for a substitution faster than he ever has in his 47 years of coaching
I don't know yet. Hima has that nice soft release that I see other bigs have that can shoot from the perimeter. They never have really gone after a big who can shoot before that I remember. I'm only putting this out there because when i saw him hit some jump shots, it kind of shocked me.

Our forwards are a solid D, on an A-F scale, until proven otherwise. Therefore, I would play a 3 guard offense, and hope we can field one good forward. It would be wise to expect nothing from Hamir at this point. He has upside but is a project. Our future is bubblelicious. Big picture is that the playing field has shifted, and not in our favor. My crystal ball says that we will be OK financially but so so on the field.
Mounir. A D seems pretty harsh considering Benny was a borderline 5 star and the new guys are all legitimate prospects. I honestly think if the coaches had real doubts about Benny being ready they would have went after a 1 year portal guy.

Mounir. A D seems pretty harsh considering Benny was a borderline 5 star and the new guys are all legitimate prospects. I honestly think if the coaches had real doubts about Benny being ready they would have went after a 1 year portal guy.
Benny showed some flashes as last season progressed.

I think his projected improvement is the single biggest linchpin as to possible improvement next season.

He needs to be at least a 13 and 7 player IMHO.

Can players take summer classes and get ahead with regards to Academics and play a little pickup in their spare time ?

FMk9pBgXMAU0U0B

Taylor and Bunch have as well. Peter looks about 5 inches taller than both. He also said he was 210 in a PS article a few months ago.

You were probably right though 2-3 years ago.

Taylor and Bunch are listed at 6'6. Soo if they are actually 6'5 and he's maybe 3-4 inches taller with a full head of hair in this pic... There is absolutely no way he's the 7ft he's listed as. I guarantee Jessie is taller.
I get it that everyone adds 2+ inches unless your Dirk. Hope you are right and he's 6'11...
Everyone said JBA was 6'10 and he's maybe 6'8.

Please make it stop.

It is a consensus on these boards that our Senior Guard is not a true point guard.

Plenty of receipts on the board that said otherwise. Plenty

I'd give the forwards a C. (until further notice)

So basically we have one of our best backcourts of all time and one of the best in the country? That’s what an A means to me.

Or do you give every decent Cuse backcourt an A?

I’d be curious which past Syracuse backcourts you also give an A to?

Taylor and Bunch are listed at 6'6. Soo if they are actually 6'5 and he's maybe 3-4 inches taller with a full head of hair in this pic... There is absolutely no way he's the 7ft he's listed as. I guarantee Jessie is taller.
I get it that everyone adds 2+ inches unless your Dirk. Hope you are right and he's 6'11...
No. Peter is standing behind Taylor and Bunch. That means he is even taller than he looks compared to the other two.

He has at least 5 inches on his classmates.

If you struggle with the concept of hair, just look at the level of each player’s eyes.

Lol. He's 6-11 at the shortest. Outside trolling no idea where you are getting your so called facts.

Lol. He's 6-11 at the shortest. Outside trolling no idea where you are getting your so called facts.
The point of my original post was Hima was a good pickup. I asked if anyone else has stood next to Carey bc we think he's more 6'9 than 7ft. I was hoping someone else knew him well. We only met him the one time. Did not mean to incite trolls and an argument about 1-2inches. Players height are always wrong. Check Donte Greene. Again, I hope he's 6'11 but I'd be a little surprised. Seems like most people on here support his listed height..

No. Peter is standing behind Taylor and Bunch. That means he is even taller than he looks compared to the other two.

He has at least 5 inches on his classmates.

If you struggle with the concept of hair, just look at the level of each player’s eyes.
What is this hair concept you speak of? Wizardy! This struggle is real.
Agree with your point on how perspective works in pictures.

So basically we have one of our best backcourts of all time and one of the best in the country? That’s what an A means to me.

Or do you give every decent Cuse backcourt an A?

I’d be curious which past Syracuse backcourts you also give an A to?
I'm giving them an A as a Syracuse backcourt. For SU, it is a very solid mix of real point guards (Sy and Judah) off ball shooting ( Joe and Justin) and a big guard who can do a little of both in Copeland. I don't want to compare them to previous backcourts as people always have a nostalgia bias and these guys haven't even play yet so they will lose on this. I think it's a great mix of guys and think they will put Syracuse back on track. Very confident in the backcourt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom