Class of 2020 - C Mounir Hima (NJ) Transfer from Duquesne/COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Mounir Hima (NJ) Transfer from Duquesne/COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s pretty evident that JAB and the staff are fully committing to the youth movement and the future of the program. With this next wave of Cuse players, we have a truly solid and versatile 6 man class (and with possibly Hima) we could have the necessary building blocks of getting back to top tier program where we belong.

Obviously we all want to win now and get the best players possible for this upcoming season, especially after a losing season and the years of regular season decency prior...but JAB has 2-3 years left and I think it’s clear that he’s building for the future so that we can build a good or possibly great team and keep that team so the program is in a good state when he leaves.
He will do that by committing to our young / freshman players and giving them plenty of minutes to find themselves, so that they mature and are ready at a faster rate. This will likely keep most if not all of our freshman around, unless they explode into NBA prospects.
We are targetting high level kids in 23’ and 24’ and I for one am not giving up on the coach who’s brought us some many years of success and tradition. I will wait to see what JAB can do before he hangs it all up.

As to Mounir Hima...if he can be close to what BMK was for us in 10-14’, as a 12th or 13th scholarship player, this is a win. He’s a great young man and a hard worker, which makes him a great player to have around for our culture. With our recent success at developing raw big man, it’s very possible the staff can mold him into a valuable rotational piece for the future and would serve as another big body and spot backup to Jesse when he needs to come out.

It’s pretty evident that JAB and the staff are fully committing to the youth movement and the future of the program. With this next wave of Cuse players, we have a truly solid and versatile 6 man class (and with possibly Hima) we could have the necessary building blocks of getting back to top tier program where we belong.

Obviously we all want to win now and get the best players possible for this upcoming season, especially after a losing season and the years of regular season decency prior...but JAB has 2-3 years left and I think it’s clear that he’s building for the future so that we can build a good or possibly great team and keep that team so the program is in a good state when he leaves.
He will do that by committing to our young / freshman players and giving them plenty of minutes to find themselves, so that they mature and are ready at a faster rate. This will likely keep most if not all of our freshman around, unless they explode into NBA prospects.
We are targetting high level kids in 23’ and 24’ and I for one am not giving up on the coach who’s brought us some many years of success and tradition. I will wait to see what JAB can do before he hangs it all up.

As to Mounir Hima...if he can be close to what BMK was for us in 10-14’, as a 12th or 13th scholarship player, this is a win. He’s a great young man and a hard worker, which makes him a great player to have around for our culture. With our recent success at developing raw big man, it’s very possible the staff can mold him into a valuable rotational piece for the future and would serve as another big body and spot backup to Jesse when he needs to come out.
A 7 man class to build out the depth is a great start. Add in just 1 or 2 studs to that group over the next few recruiting classes and you've got a recipe for teams we've fielded in the past. Just need a a sprinkle of higher tier talent to add to the pool and I think that's a mix that's not only more stable but more easily replicated.

I took a look at Duquense stats and box scores from last year. Their starting center was in his 3rd year of college ball and was their leading rebounder and second leading scorer. So there wasn't a lot of opportunity for a green freshman to take minutes away from him.

Hima started getting more minutes in their last seven games. His minutes went up with 5 games to go when their starter got injured in the first half of a game against Davidson (league champ, 27-7). That is the game that Hima had 10 rebounds.

In his final seven games, he averaged 18 minutes per game, 4.8 rebounds, 4.3 points, and 2 blocks per game. His 40 minute averages over the last seven were 10.6 rebs, 9.6 pts, and 4.4 blocks.

It looks to me like he was trending in the right direction. As a player with little experience, he was earning minutes toward the end of the year and then got the starting job after an injury. I like players who are trending upwards. This is what you hope to see from freshman.

If he comes to Syracuse, he will be taking a step up in competition, but you would also expect that the development he showed in his freshman year would continue into his sophomore year...the sophomore leap.

I would expect him to maintain the 40 min averages next year as a backup getting 10 minutes of playing time. That would be adding 2.5 pts, 2.5 rebs, and 1 block while Jesse is on the bench. Add that to what Jesse will give us and I think we would all be happy with the 40 minute production from the center spot.

Last edited:
No, he is not a viable big man. He was getting spot minutes at Duquesne - 6-24 in A-10 - last year. You're saying he's going to take a MASSIVE step up in competition and get the same spot minutes at SYRACUSE UNIVERSITY? What on earth are people seeing?

Do people realize that Power 5 schools across the country are in the same spot as Syracuse? Looking to fill out their roster with individuals they believe will play roles within their team?

Here are a few examples from last year:

Yor Anei - Transfer from Oklahoma State to SMU to DePaul. Was starter for 2 years at Oklahoma State. Came off the bench at the other two. 6-11 C.

Oumar Ballo - Transfer from Gonzaga to Arizona. Didn't play much at Gonzaga. Played more as a sophomore at Arizona, but was still a bench player. Has not started a game in career. This kid had comparable numbers to Duquesne center at a much higher level. 7-0 C.

Joey Brunk - Transfer from Indiana to Ohio State. Averaged 7.6 mpg after starting 31 games at Indiana. Agreed to go to a Power 5 team and play a backup role. 6-11 C.

Ralph Gonzales-Agee - Transfer from San Jose State - Averaged 26 mpg at San Jose State. 11.1 ppg. Transferred to Rutgers and played 17 games in a backup role and averaged 7 mpg.

These are 4 examples at the position of need. If I had more time I'm sure I could get plenty more.
He visits seton hall this week.

I think I understand you're point but you worded it weird.

We definitely aren't interested in playing in the portal. And it is a severe hinderance to this program.

Add it to the laundry list of reasons we need a coaching change.
Yeah my point was mostly you can find backups in the portal if you put in the work to find/recruit the kids. In the past two years, our staff seems to barely use the portal and just finds kids through pre existing connections (which is somewhat lazy). You either adapt or be mediocre lol.

I took a look at Duquense stats and box scores from last year. Their starting center was in his 3rd year of college ball and was their leading rebounder and second leading scorer. So there wasn't a lot of opportunity for a green freshman to take minutes away from him.

Hima started getting more minutes in their last seven games. His minutes went up with 5 games to go when their starter got injured in the first half of a game against Davidson (league champ, 27-7). That is the game that Hima had 10 rebounds.

In his final seven games, he averaged 18 minutes per game, 4.8 rebounds, 4.3 points, and 2 blocks per game. His 40 minute averages over the last seven were 10.6 rebs, 9.6 pts, and 4.4 blocks.

It looks to me like he was trending in the right direction. As a player with little experience, he was earning minutes toward the end of the year and then got the starting job after an injury. I like players who are trending upwards. This is what you hope to see from freshman.

If he comes to Syracuse, he will be taking a step up in competition, but you would also expect that the development he showed in his freshman year would continue into his sophomore year...the sophomore leap.

I would expect him to maintain the 40 min averages next year as a backup getting 10 minutes of playing time. That would be adding 5 pts, 5 rebs, and 2 blocks while Jesse is on the bench. Add that to what Jesse will give us and I think we would all be happy with the 40 minute production from the center spot.
Thanks for analyzing his playing time. Encouraging! However, your 10-minute numbers are actually 20-minute numbers. In 10 minutes, he'd get half of what you said.

<Note: Skinny.Atlas fixed his 10 minute numbers since I posted this>

Last edited:
Thanks for analyzing his playing time. Encouraging! However, your 10-minute numbers are actually 20-minute numbers. In 10 minutes, he'd get half of what you said.
Thanks. Too much mathing in one post. I edited it. My conclusion is still they same, though slightly less optimistic. He is trending up and is likely to provide sufficient back up productivity next year.

If Carey is as good as people think he is, then what's the difference between him and this kid? Playing 21 games on a bad team? OK. Is he more talented? If he's not, then why not play the kid you have coming in? And if Griff is such a big-man guru, why can't he get Carey up to speed with everything as he will with this guy?
Because as we learned w Benny you just dont know how they will contribute until they get on campus

Now they have a better chance to find quality minutes with 2 options instead of 1

I mean, I highly doubt this kid turns down a golden ticket offered by Willy Wonka Boeheim; but, what if he doesn't even commit to us?
Boeheim to the board today be like

If Carey is as good as people think he is, then what's the difference between him and this kid? Playing 21 games on a bad team? OK. Is he more talented? If he's not, then why not play the kid you have coming in? And if Griff is such a big-man guru, why can't he get Carey up to speed with everything as he will with this guy?
One simple difference is about 60 pounds, so definitely more ready for the game at this level. Oh, and he has played in college already.

No they aren't. Check your math. 2 points 2 rebounds is about right.unless the 40 Mon stats were wrong.

(Not that these projections really mean a whole ton of a lot)

And I for one don't see a much better option out there than this player for a designated backup role.

Just realistic.

Might be nice to have a grad transfer more polished option...to not have to commit for 3 years...and in case he is really actually needed to play a big role. But I don't know what people expect...a 5 star to come in as a backup??

Plus 240 pounds? Not a beanpole! That alone is a win.

Last edited:
I still cannot believe what is tolerated by this fan base.

Syracuse University is recruiting a kid who is getting looks from exactly ZERO high major programs. And exactly ZERO high-mid major programs.

Syracuse University is recruiting a kid who averaged 1.9 points and 2.8 rebounds per game for a team that was 6-24 last year and nearly went winless in the Atlantic 10 -- a league that is not close to the ACC in terms of level and depth of talent.

I'm seriously at a loss. If this is the kid we have coming in, I'd much rather Carey play the minutes. Or pretty much anyone.
He's visiting Seton hall

No they aren't. Check your math. 2 points 2 rebounds is about right.unless the 40 Mon stats were wrong.

(Not that these projections really mean a whole ton of a lot)

And I for one don't see a much better option out there than this player for a designated backup role.

Just realistic.

Might be nice to have a grad transfer more polished option...to not have to commit for 3 years...and in case he is really actually needed to play a big role. But I don't know what people expect...a 5 star to come in as a backup??

Plus 240 pounds? Not a beanpole! That alone is a win.
It is funny that we still worry about players taking up 3 years of scholarship when we can't seem to get anyone to stay more than two years.

If we get Hima and he does well, he'll probably transfer next year to a non power 5 conference in search of starter's minutes. If he doesn't do well, he can just take over the 13th man job from Billy Jr. or JBA

It is funny that we still worry about players taking up 3 years of scholarship when we can't seem to get anyone to stay more than two years.

If we get Hima and he does well, he'll probably transfer next year to a non power 5 conference in search of starter's minutes. If he doesn't do well, he can just take over the 13th man job from Billy Jr. or JBA
Except, he'll have already used his freebie transfer.

I am fine with him as a backup center, but we still have room to go after an impact forward...if there are any left. I know we won't, but I sure wish we would.
Yup. This kid is fine as our back up. But the staff is missing the ball. It would be ideal if we could get an athletic 4, that can slide to the 5 if needed and can also score the ball. Doesn’t have to be the best scorer or the best defender. Just get us someone that can score 12-14 ppg, can slide to the 5 in a pinch and is athletic enough to rebound and get up and down the court in transition to attack the basketball. Doesn’t have to be a stud but can do those things I listed and we’ll be fine. But I agree with you, I don’t think the staff is going to pursue another wing in the portal which is a huge missed opportunity

Yup. This kid is fine as our back up. But the staff is missing the ball. It would be ideal if we could get an athletic 4, that can slide to the 5 if needed and can also score the ball. Doesn’t have to be the best scorer or the best defender. Just get us someone that can score 12-14 ppg, can slide to the 5 in a pinch and is athletic enough to rebound and get up and down the court in transition to attack the basketball. Doesn’t have to be a stud but can do those things I listed and we’ll be fine. But I agree with you, I don’t think the staff is going to pursue another wing in the portal which is a huge missed opportunity
Unfortunately it isnt the staff..it’s just one person. I know Griff has practically begged to go get a 4

Well, since it is my opinion after all, I contend that Owens was a waste of a scholarship as he was basically a walk on. I would much rather Hima have a scholarship as there appears to be more of a chance that he’ll see the court than Owens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom