Class of 2020 - C Mounir Hima (NJ) Transfer from Duquesne/COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Mounir Hima (NJ) Transfer from Duquesne/COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is funny that we still worry about players taking up 3 years of scholarship when we can't seem to get anyone to stay more than two years.

If we get Hima and he does well, he'll probably transfer next year to a non power 5 conference in search of starter's minutes. If he doesn't do well, he can just take over the 13th man job from Billy Jr. or JBA
have you been following the team lately?

one thing that has been a hindrance i'd say over the last few cycles is locking in on players that stay a long time and either dont play or dont offer enough. a weird problem with some lesser talented players is that they will stay 4 years ...its something that is to be avoided imo...

i get it theres been a lot of outgoing transfers...but how many starters transferred out? I think only 1 ...

Yup. This kid is fine as our back up. But the staff is missing the ball. It would be ideal if we could get an athletic 4, that can slide to the 5 if needed and can also score the ball. Doesn’t have to be the best scorer or the best defender. Just get us someone that can score 12-14 ppg, can slide to the 5 in a pinch and is athletic enough to rebound and get up and down the court in transition to attack the basketball. Doesn’t have to be a stud but can do those things I listed and we’ll be fine. But I agree with you, I don’t think the staff is going to pursue another wing in the portal which is a huge missed opportunity

I so want this to be wrong and this group shocks us all. The realist in me expects we are revisiting this view in 10 months being angry it was right.

If Carey is as good as people think he is, then what's the difference between him and this kid? Playing 21 games on a bad team? OK. Is he more talented? If he's not, then why not play the kid you have coming in? And if Griff is such a big-man guru, why can't he get Carey up to speed with everything as he will with this guy?
And what if he isn’t?

Well, since it is my opinion after all, I contend that Owens was a waste of a scholarship as he was basically a walk on. I would much rather Hima have a scholarship as there appears to be more of a chance that he’ll see the court than Owens.
Again, whose place did he take? If he didn't prevent a contributing player from being on the roster then, even by your definition, it's not a waste.

Again, whose place did he take? If he didn't prevent a contributing player from being on the roster then, even by your definition, it's not a waste.
Jim said in his interview it was virtually impossible to find a center willing to sit.
This kid is as raw as they come but based on the film he is well coordinated, has a huge wing span and has the body to bang inside. His stats look good if you focus on the last 20% of his games. He is from Africa and we have had very good luck with kids from there. Finally he has 3 years left.
Im actually hoping we can land him as i think hes a very good fit.

No, he is not a viable big man. He was getting spot minutes at Duquesne - 6-24 in A-10 - last year. You're saying he's going to take a MASSIVE step up in competition and get the same spot minutes at SYRACUSE UNIVERSITY? What on earth are people seeing?

Do people realize that Power 5 schools across the country are in the same spot as Syracuse? Looking to fill out their roster with individuals they believe will play roles within their team?

Here are a few examples from last year:

Yor Anei - Transfer from Oklahoma State to SMU to DePaul. Was starter for 2 years at Oklahoma State. Came off the bench at the other two. 6-11 C.

Oumar Ballo - Transfer from Gonzaga to Arizona. Didn't play much at Gonzaga. Played more as a sophomore at Arizona, but was still a bench player. Has not started a game in career. This kid had comparable numbers to Duquesne center at a much higher level. 7-0 C.

Joey Brunk - Transfer from Indiana to Ohio State. Averaged 7.6 mpg after starting 31 games at Indiana. Agreed to go to a Power 5 team and play a backup role. 6-11 C.

Ralph Gonzales-Agee - Transfer from San Jose State - Averaged 26 mpg at San Jose State. 11.1 ppg. Transferred to Rutgers and played 17 games in a backup role and averaged 7 mpg.

These are 4 examples at the position of need. If I had more time I'm sure I could get plenty more.
It’s really unfortunate that Frank had to transfer. He would have been the key backup center and the starter the year after next. I wish kids had more patience. It’s gonna take him time to learn a new system, so there will be growing pains at Georgia in his first year.

Last edited:
Unfortunately it isnt the staff..it’s just one person. I know Griff has practically begged to go get a 4
Ugh, if we’re doin this again next spring, I’m gonna lose it. I wish someone would get JB on the radio and grill him about this decision not to find an experienced forward out of the portal. What’s the GD rationale? All JB offers are lame excuses year after year now.

He's backing up Edwards. Play defense and surprise the crowd with a few putbacks. That should be the expectation. Learn the system and be ready when your name is called.

There's no reason this guy can't live up to that expectation. He has enough talent to back Jesse up.

Again, this is my opinion. Why you seem hell bent on arguing is beyond me. I’ll engage one last time. He was on scholarship and his contributions were minuscule at best. I consider that a waste. You apparently define a wasted scholarship differently which is fine. We can have different opinions. I think not having Owens on scholarship this upcoming season and having Hima on scholarship is an improvement. You may not. I don’t really care.

Had Owens not been on scholarship the last few years, there would have been room to add an additional player. I’m sorry I am not privy to the inner workings of the SU basketball team to know who they may or may not have tried to add to the squad. Despite your insistence, I don’t have specific names. Respond if you like or don’t. I’m through with this tedious back and forth.

Jim said in his interview it was virtually impossible to find a center willing to sit.
i think if this is en vogue way that recruits are looking at opportunities...

then perhaps "dual-recruiting" for open spots...is the way to go.

i.e. open PG position? recruit 2 PGs...offer both 20 min each and say playing time will go up or down based on performance from there...

20 mins and fair comp for playing time oughta be enough for most players, right?

if not, then how does kentucky and duke get 5 stars to sit on the bench????

once you have a legit star type plyer like edwards could be...its too late for this...hence the difficulty.

perhaps this is part of the thinking behind such a big class...

gotta recruit 2 at a time - mintz/copeland - taylor/bunch - carey/brown - 2 PG, 2 scorers, 2 bigs

Last edited:
Seriously?

6-11 240. We haven't seen that kind of size in a while.

When he started 5 games at the end of last season, he got 3.6 points and over 5 rebounds.
That's about as much as we should expect from a back-up center.

At least he won't be as easy to push around as some of the guys we have put out there these past few years.

Why is everyone surprised? We are not Duke, Kansas, or Gonzaga. We are not who we think we are. We are a team on a downtrend with a coach who could retire at any moment and probably should sooner than later.
Getting guys like this should be expected. We aren’t winning any recruiting battles for top guys. Just not happening at this stage.

The first step to fixing the problem is realizing that we have a problem. We have to be realistic of where we are currently.

Put yourself in a recruits shoes. Why would you want to play at Syracuse over the blue bloods of the world. I can go play in a very cold environment with a coach who may or may not run me over with the bus at his pressers. Also may or may not make he tournament.
Or I can go get some serious NIL money and play NBA style defense with a good chance of getting drafted after my teams success season. Not have to worry about the the coach belittling me to the press.

If Carey is as good as people think he is, then what's the difference between him and this kid? Playing 21 games on a bad team? OK. Is he more talented? If he's not, then why not play the kid you have coming in? And if Griff is such a big-man guru, why can't he get Carey up to speed with everything as he will with this guy?
Well the difference is one has a scholarship and is on the team already while the other doesn’t. There are two open scholarships right now, everyone bitched last year about how Syracuse didn’t use all of the scholarships last year and what a terrible idea it was, now they are trying to use them and the response? “WeLl WhY BOtHeR”

fwiw as far as I can tell, after Obiagu announced he's going pro Seton Hall currently has no centers on their roster, and none coming in as frosh - If they're legit interested in Hima and offer him seems like that would be a better destination for him for potential playing time than us

fwiw as far as I can tell, after Obiagu announced he's going pro Seton Hall currently has no centers on their roster, and none coming in as frosh - If they're legit interested in Hima and offer him seems like that would be a better destination for him for potential playing time than us
Seton Hall could be a bottom dweller for a couple of seasons with a new coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom