Class of 2017 - C/PF Moustapha Diagne (NJ) to Western Kentucky | Page 67 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 C/PF Moustapha Diagne (NJ) to Western Kentucky

They need to change the description. I don't view it as declaring for the draft until it's official after the combine when only 60-70 guys get invited.

Isn't this just him going through the evaluation process? The key is no agent--not much to "worry" about here, IMO. He won't grade out as a first round pick.

A kid who tests the NBA Draft waters as a Freshman may come back for his Sophomore year, but probably not his Junior year.

Especially since he's a JUCO who may not even qualify to have a Junior year.

A kid who tests the NBA Draft waters as a Freshman may come back for his Sophomore year, but probably not his Junior year.

Especially since he's a JUCO who may not even qualify to have a Junior year.

I thought that they could test the waters all three years?

I imagine he might go play in Europe next year. Heck, maybe this year.

A tweet from the '96...Winfred Walton has declared for the draft without hiring an agent after being ruled ineligible at Syracuse

"For 9-6 the only MC with a flu; yeah I rhyme sick I be what you trying to do"

The NJCAA, the national governing body for junior college athletics, does not allow players to enter the NBA draft.

By entering his name in the draft, Diagne automatically gave up his eligibility for the 2016-17 season at Northwest Florida or any other junior college.

"He won't be coming back to Northwest Florida,'' Northwest Florida coach Steve DeMeo said recently. DeMeo declined to offer any other information.

It appears that Diagne has several options for next season.

He can pay his own way at a junior college and earn his associate's degree. He would then be able to transfer to an NCAA Division I school.

He can pay his own way at an NCAA Division school. In either case, Diagne would have three years of eligibility remaining.

He could go straight to a D-II school where he could play immediately.

Or he can continue to explore his professional options.

The NJCAA, the national governing body for junior college athletics, does not allow players to enter the NBA draft.

By entering his name in the draft, Diagne automatically gave up his eligibility for the 2016-17 season at Northwest Florida or any other junior college.

"He won't be coming back to Northwest Florida,'' Northwest Florida coach Steve DeMeo said recently. DeMeo declined to offer any other information.
Kid can't catch a break. Sounds like he got bad advice.

Kid can't catch a break. Sounds like he got bad advice.

If I read that correctly. It sounds like he just saved himself a year of eligibility at a D-I school, should he choose to go that way. Either by completing his associates by paying his own way at a JC, or enrolling directly in an NCAA school. Once this year is up he'll then have 3 years left to play 3 on scholarship.

Or he's just going to start playing professionally somewhere.

If I read that correctly. It sounds like he just saved himself a year of eligibility at a D-I school, should he choose to go that way. Either by completing his associates by paying his own way at a JC, or enrolling directly in an NCAA school. Once this year is up he'll then have 3 years left to play 3 on scholarship.

Or he's just going to start playing professionally somewhere.
I think that's the most likely option at this point. His handlers have made a huge mess of things for him with bad advice and decisions. Can't blame the NCAA for everything.

Poor kid, none of the coaches there knew the rules? I wonder if he could protest it...

I think that's the most likely option at this point. His handlers have made a huge mess of things for him with bad advice and decisions. Can't blame the NCAA for everything.

Agree with the bolded part, but what you can blame the NCAA for is taking away a kids' eligibility/amateur status because he declares an intent to enter the draft. That is one of the NCAAs dumber rules. Kids should be able to enter the draft, go through the draft and only loose their eligibility if they sign a contract or otherwise accept benefits in the course of trying to market themselves to teams. There is no reason that a kid shouldn't be able to make himself available and not accept anything until he agrees to a contract with a team and if he doesn't like what is offered to him return to school.