Class of 2017 - C/PF Moustapha Diagne (NJ) to Western Kentucky | Page 68 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 C/PF Moustapha Diagne (NJ) to Western Kentucky

I think that's the most likely option at this point. His handlers have made a huge mess of things for him with bad advice and decisions. Can't blame the NCAA for everything.

*Sources* confirm that the handlers have been photographed

Diagne.jpg

I think that's the most likely option at this point. His handlers have made a huge mess of things for him with bad advice and decisions. Can't blame the NCAA for everything.

What a stinking shame. I really liked Diagne as a recruit, and was eager to see him play here. What a cluster.

Agree with the bolded part, but what you can blame the NCAA for is taking away a kids' eligibility/amateur status because he declares an intent to enter the draft. That is one of the NCAAs dumber rules. Kids should be able to enter the draft, go through the draft and only loose their eligibility if they sign a contract or otherwise accept benefits in the course of trying to market themselves to teams. There is no reason that a kid shouldn't be able to make himself available and not accept anything until he agrees to a contract with a team and if he doesn't like what is offered to him return to school.

But again, this isn't the NCAA, it's the NJCAA. Just because the letters are similar, don't assume it's the same organization. And like I said before, this actually preserves a year of eligibility at an NCAA school by no longer being able to play JUCO ball. He just needs to do whatever he needs to academically to be NCAA eligible in another year.

However, this has all the earmarks of someone (including handlers) who has no interest in college and will work to earn a paycheck somewhere on this earth.

Agree with the bolded part, but what you can blame the NCAA for is taking away a kids' eligibility/amateur status because he declares an intent to enter the draft. That is one of the NCAAs dumber rules. Kids should be able to enter the draft, go through the draft and only loose their eligibility if they sign a contract or otherwise accept benefits in the course of trying to market themselves to teams. There is no reason that a kid shouldn't be able to make himself available and not accept anything until he agrees to a contract with a team and if he doesn't like what is offered to him return to school.
It is a dumb rule but it's not like they made it up a few weeks ago. How about Diagne's handlers or himself talk to the Juco coach first to be on the same page and understand the rules before making that decision? The adults advising him need to be held accountable. Blaming the NCAA kind of gets old at some point. Well at least for me.:noidea:

It is a dumb rule but it's not like they made it up a few weeks ago. How about Diagne's handlers or himself talk to the Juco coach first to be on the same page and understand the rules before making that decision? The adults advising him need to be held accountable. Blaming the NCAA kind of gets old at some point. Well at least for me.:noidea:
I do wonder if it's the same family back in Sparta or if he picked up new handlers since he graduated HS.

But again, this isn't the NCAA, it's the NJCAA. Just because the letters are similar, don't assume it's the same organization. And like I said before, this actually preserves a year of eligibility at an NCAA school by no longer being able to play JUCO ball. He just needs to do whatever he needs to academically to be NCAA eligible in another year.

However, this has all the earmarks of someone (including handlers) who has no interest in college and will work to earn a paycheck somewhere on this earth.

It wouldn't preserve a year of eligibility if he went to a Division II school, which is probably his best option if he wants to continue playing while also still being eligible to play for a Division I school in 17-18. I'm sure Coach Beilein at Le Moyne could use a 1-year rental like him!

Maybe he plans on focusing 100% on academics at a JUCO this summer and fall so he can graduate a semester early and in turn be eligible to start playing at the D1 level in January.

My comments on entering the draft aren't intended to speak to the Diagne situation in particular, but rather the "system". No question he was listening to the wrong people, or at least people who don't bother to learn the rules before doling out advice...but it doesn't change that the amateurism rules in this regard do all players that have pro aspirations a tremendous disservice.

How are his grades? If he can get grants and financial Aid you walk on at SU for 1 year and get on scholarship the next or go pro then small price to pay in the big picture.

How are his grades? If he can get grants and financial Aid you walk on at SU for 1 year and get on scholarship the next or go pro then small price to pay in the big picture.

He can't come to Syracuse (or any other Div 1 school, for that matter) and play basketball until he completes his associates degree.

And at that point, would we even want him?

Why not? Looking at this, he would still have 3 years of D1 eligibility. Question is, can he transfer to OCC to finish his Associates and work out with SU team during his penalty year, then come and play the next 3 seasons with the Orange?

HoustonCuse said:
Why not? Looking at this, he would still have 3 years of D1 eligibility. Question is, can he transfer to OCC to finish his Associates and work out with SU team during his penalty year, then come and play the next 3 seasons with the Orange?
People that think he'll pay to play as opposed to getting paid to play are deluding themselves

People that think he'll pay to play as opposed to getting paid to play are deluding themselves

I guess I was assuming that he isn't foaming at the mouth to go pro at all costs and also that there is a chance he isn't going to be drafted and/or get really great job offers overseas. Who knows. My suggestion is not intended to make a judgment between college or pro, just an option in the case where he wants or has to stay in college.

Look at the problems: from the path of his recruitment through the apparent blindsiding of his JUCO coach with the loss of eligibility and even questions about his age.
It all surrounds him with an air of trouble.
Best for the Orange to move on.

This smells like a story that is not going to have a Disney like ending. However, I keep hoping things will turn out for the young man because he has been in such a very challenging situation to navigate (particularly with people who don't appear to be real competent).

Col. Bleep said:
Look at the problems: from the path of his recruitment through the apparent blindsiding of his JUCO coach with the loss of eligibility and even questions about his age. It all surrounds him with an air of trouble. Best for the Orange to move on.

Yep I'm afraid this ship has sailed very far away

Look at the problems: from the path of his recruitment through the apparent blindsiding of his JUCO coach with the loss of eligibility and even questions about his age.
It all surrounds him with an air of trouble.
Best for the Orange to move on.
As much as I was originally excited at the prospect of him coming to play at Cuse, with all the problems which have surrounded him and his eligibility being so multi-layered and increasingly more complex, it does seem as though it may well be more trouble than it's worth. Certainly it's up to the staff to make that decision but look... we are SYRACUSE... and in spite of all our recent difficulties we are a program that has been to the final 4 twice in the past several years. Certainly we can, and have the ability to attract players who come unencumbered with respect to all of the contingencies associated with attempting to get Daigne in Orange.

I'm of the opinion that with the restrictions we are dealing with it's incumbent upon the staff to utilize their sanction limited recruiting resources on targets which have the highest likelihood of materializing into commitments which will have a substantive positive impact on the program. Daigne may not fall into that category at this point in time.

Last edited:
As much as I was originally excited at the prospect of him coming to play at Cuse, with all the problems which have surrounded him and his eligibility being so multi-layered and increasingly more complex, it does seem as though it may well be more trouble than it's worth. Certainly it's up to the staff to make that decision but look... we are SYRACUSE... and in spite of all our recent difficulties we are a program that has been to the final 4 twice in the past several years. Certainly we can, and have the ability to attract players who come unencumbered with respect to all of the contingencies associated with attempting to get Daigne in Orange.

I'm of the opinion that with the restrictions we are dealing with it's incumbent upon the staff to utilize their sanction limited recruiting resources on targets which have the highest likelihood of materializing into commitments which will have a substantive positive impact on the program. Daigne may not fall into that category at this point in time.
I'm torn about this. I want the kid to have a bright future of course, but it certainly appears as if he's not getting the best advice.
However at this point, if he does show up and wants to pay his way through SU so he can play for us, numerous red-flags would undoubtedly be raised as to where/how he came up w/ the money. Might just be better to move on unfortunately.

I'm torn about this. I want the kid to have a bright future of course, but it certainly appears as if he's not getting the best advice.
However at this point, if he does show up and wants to pay his way through SU so he can play for us, numerous red-flags would undoubtedly be raised as to where/how he came up w/ the money. Might just be better to move on unfortunately.
You avatar is a perfect metaphor for Diagne's situation, Dr.B.

Further proof that the system is fundamentally broken. I'm not going to blame Diagne or his handlers. This seems like an honest mistake and if the NJCAA doesn't want to adopt the same rule as the NCAA, they should give the kid a pass because it's the first year and there's obviously confusion between the two entities and their rule tomes. Tell me how any of this or anything that happened last year is putting the emphasis on the student-athlete in a positive way.

Further proof that the system is fundamentally broken. I'm not going to blame Diagne or his handlers. This seems like an honest mistake and if the NJCAA doesn't want to adopt the same rule as the NCAA, they should give the kid a pass because it's the first year and there's obviously confusion between the two entities and their rule tomes. Tell me how any of this or anything that happened last year is putting the emphasis on the student-athlete in a positive way.

My heart agrees with you but not my head. As much as I would like Diagne to get a pass, no way can they do that as it would only then open up the door for others to want one for various reasons. It's really not a difficult concept and it absolutely floors me that anyone connected with giving him advice would be so ignorant. If they really didn't know the rule, that actually scares me for Diagne. Perhaps the young man should seek out more competent people to guide him because so far, it hasn't worked well to say the least. Really feel bad for the young man.

My heart agrees with you but not my head. As much as I would like Diagne to get a pass, no way can they do that as it would only then open up the door for others to want one for various reasons. It's really not a difficult concept and it absolutely floors me that anyone connected with giving him advice would be so ignorant. If they really didn't know the rule, that actually scares me for Diagne. Perhaps the young man should seek out more competent people to guide him because so far, it hasn't worked well to say the least. Really feel bad for the young man.

I don't see how this would be setting a precedent beyond this one rule and this one year. To call it ignorance is a stretch IMO. Why would the rule be different between the NCAA and the NJCAA? That's dumb. Does it apply to Division II and Division III? Who should know the answer to that question? Seriously, not one person on here knew there was a difference and some are as connected to college basketball as Diagne's handlers, if not more.

Sort of reminds me of McNabb and the OT game against the Bengals. He didn't know the game would end in a tie. And it turned out a lot of players didn't know because so few had experienced it before. When your rule tomes are longer than dictionaries, you can't expect everyone to know every last detail, especially when those details were just changed.