Class of 2017 - C/PF Moustapha Diagne (NJ) to Western Kentucky | Page 69 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 C/PF Moustapha Diagne (NJ) to Western Kentucky

I don't see how this would be setting a precedent beyond this one rule and this one year.

Understandable... probably ought to pull down the mask when reading and viewing material. ;)

Can he do that? All the reports after he declared made it sound like there was no turning back since the JUCO rules were different.

Can he do that? All the reports after he declared made it sound like there was no turning back since the JUCO rules were different.
I believe he can go back and get his associate's degree, but he'll have to pay his own way. Maybe the scholarship is still good even if he can't play.

I believe he can go back and get his associate's degree, but he'll have to pay his own way. Maybe the scholarship is still good even if he can't play.
I don't believe the ship is still good. Why would it be? He threw that away when he declared for the draft. That ship should go to a kid that wants to go and play jr college ball at that school. Otherwise, it wouldn't be fair to the kid that didn't get a ship or to the school.

I don't believe the ship is still good. Why would it be? He threw that away when he declared for the draft. That ship should go to a kid that wants to go and play jr college ball at that school. Otherwise, it wouldn't be fair to the kid that didn't get a ship or to the school.
That was just speculation. In all likelihood, he'll have to pay his own way.

So if he finishes up at the Juco without playing year 2 does that mean be would have 3 years of eligibility?

If he loads up on summer classes can he get his degree by the end of the summer or fall semester?

That is huge that he will still have 3 Years to play now. I can't see the SU staff giving up on him now as he would be a nice asset in a year from now.
And you have to wonder if this was the master plan all along. Some of us have criticized his handlers, but maybe, just maybe, they knew what they were doing. The best part is there will be plenty of roster space and playing time available for him a year from now.

As it stands now, PF will be pretty open for Diagne in 2017 since Moyer will be the only current forward returning (Lydon pro, Roberson graduating). What would Thompson's impact be if he decides to commit here? Do you guys think that would push Diagne somewhere else? Who would you rather have?

What's not mentioned in the article is where he is going to go to JC to take classes this year. I wouldn't think he would go back to that school in Florida so it would make more sense to go locally. He needs to go somewhere to take classes where the credits can be transferred to stay eligible academically. How slim would the odds be that he commits to the Cuse and goes to OCC for classes.

And you have to wonder if this was the master plan all along. Some of us have criticized his handlers, but maybe, just maybe, they knew what they were doing. The best part is there will be plenty of roster space and playing time available for him a year from now.

I don't know. That's a pretty savvy move to save his 3rd year of eligibility by utilizing a pretty much unknown rule. I really don't think that was the plan.

I don't know. That's a pretty savvy move to save his 3rd year of eligibility by utilizing a pretty much unknown rule. I really don't think that was the plan.
So he is returning to the same JC. In the meantime, playing there one year has established residency so that he pays the local tuition? If that is true, that is a decent move.

Keep in mind, the JUCO rule didn't change. It's been the same for years.

Keep in mind, the JUCO rule didn't change. It's been the same for years.
But didn't he and his Senegalese advisers believe the rule was the same as the new NCAA rule? The Waters article seemed to intimate that.

But didn't he and his Senegalese advisers believe the rule was the same as the new NCAA rule? The Waters article seemed to intimate that.
Yes, that's how Waters read it and how most of the people here read it. Just throwing it out there that maybe they knew exactly what they were doing.

Yes, that's how Waters read it and how most of the people here read it. Just throwing it out there that maybe they knew exactly what they were doing.
Or maybe "some" smart college coach came up with the idea.