Class of 2020 - C Quincy Ballard (NY) Transferring from FSU to Wichita St | Page 45 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Quincy Ballard (NY) Transferring from FSU to Wichita St

Ummm ok. Not the same situation.
If it wasn't QB and it was a guy from Duke or UCLA or another top recruiting power and his stat line and other measurables were the same, would you be as down on him?

If it wasn't QB and it was a guy from Duke or UCLA or another top recruiting power and his stat line and other measurables were the same, would you be as down on him?
Late spring makes high majors desperate.

Also creates openings for teams to take fliers on.

SU’s interest was VERY late, and they didn’t recruit him hard. He went to FSU. We weren’t heartbroken then.

And now, we are going to rerecruit a kid who was barely good enough two years ago, AND barely played for a mediocre ACC team? And who was overtaken by a 6th year walk on player for minutes?

Give me a break. Kid isn’t good enough. If he’s our backup next year it’s because we settled.

What if he takes the Wichita State offer while we wait until May for Swider to make a decision on his scholly?

What if he takes the Wichita State offer while we wait until May for Swider to make a decision on his scholly?
The math is not that difficult. 6 freshman, Joe, Benny, Sy-that's 9. Chaz and JBA-that's 11. OKAY?

Late spring makes high majors desperate.

Also creates openings for teams to take fliers on.

SU’s interest was VERY late, and they didn’t recruit him hard. He went to FSU. We weren’t heartbroken then.

And now, we are going to rerecruit a kid who was barely good enough two years ago, AND barely played for a mediocre ACC team? And who was overtaken by a 6th year walk on player for minutes?

Give me a break. Kid isn’t good enough. If he’s our backup next year it’s because we settled.
I kinda remember wiffing on a few big guys in the same timeline as Ballard. Maybe Tapé was one.

Just to be clear I wasn't criticizing the post just asking as I know he was like 6-7 or something and then had a big growth spurt.

Also I don't think he is a stiff. To me it was about how raw he is and looked while at FSU. Even when he was at the Dome he looked uncomfortable and out of position a lot. Clearly he has athleticism. Frank did too and Frank also improved a bunch in knowing where to be in the zone and in making himself a better screener and more available to teammates.

QB looks like a guy who needs at least another year to learn and become more comfortable on the court. Happy to be wrong- maybe it's just how he was handled at FSU. No doubt you can't teach that kind of size.
The responsibilities of a center in our zone may be better for Ballard than a switching pressure defense.

He'll only have to guard the perimeter when the defense has broken down, not every time his guy sets a screen. That might make him look a lot more athletic...

Cole Swider
Jimmy Boeheim
Symir Torrence

Those transfers were heavily criticized, too. All of them turned out to be better than most expected. (I didn’t say they were all-stars, only that they performed above expectations.)

And before you say they were bad players on a bad team, admit it: You want Swider back and you thought Torrence deserved more minutes.

Ballard is a perfectly acceptable reserve center. We’re talking 5-10 minutes per game.
We want Swider. The other 2 were overused and underused.

We also only replaced Quincy with Swider.

The other 2 were downgrades from what we had lost. See defense aka what Jim Boeheim said himself sucked lasy year.

FSU recruiting has been exceptional. He is trapped on the depth chart by some highly recruited players.
Leonard Hamilton plays his entire team.
If the kid could play the depth chart isn’t why he isn’t playing.

This wouldn’t be a pickup with upside. It’s picking somebody local the staff knows. Hopefully we can and do get better.

I think people are underestimating how hard of a sell it is to convince someone to come be a backup for a year, potentially 2 if Jesse stays, which I think is much more possible than people are giving attention.

The staff are recruiting heavy in '23 at Center, as well. "Come here and be a backup for a year or two while also competing against kids brought in" is by no means a guarantee of playing time. Hence the target towards Ballard, who will know the role and situational minutes.

Sure, we'd love a high-major impact guy. But first, let's be realistic about the situation.

I think people are underestimating how hard of a sell it is to convince someone to come be a backup for a year, potentially 2 if Jesse stays, which I think is much more possible than people are giving attention.

The staff are recruiting heavy in '23 at Center, as well. "Come here and be a backup for a year or two while also competing against kids brought in" is by no means a guarantee of playing time. Hence the target towards Ballard, who will know the role and situational minutes.

Sure, we'd love a high-major impact guy. But first, let's be realistic about the situation.
This, Alsacs.

Duke got the kid from Marquette (John) to come in and they had Williams. He was willing to play a backup role. It can be done, but it might not be easy.

Sure, nothing in recruiting is easy.

That’s why it’s D1 basketball.

St. Bonaventure did it. At an Atlantic 10 school. Many others have too, I am sure of it.

Syracuse needs to as well. If they strike out, fine. But they need to try - and the head coach needs to try. Not settle.

Sure, nothing in recruiting is easy.

That’s why it’s D1 basketball.

St. Bonaventure did it. At an Atlantic 10 school. Many others have too, I am sure of it.

Syracuse needs to as well. If they strike out, fine. But they need to try - and the head coach needs to try. Not settle.
Isn't the guy going to the Bonnies getting a starting job?

Isn't the guy going to the Bonnies getting a starting job?
He came last year, played 9.5 minutes per game.

This coming year, if Osunniyi doesn’t come back, he will likely start. But it’s not a 100% lock, and he went there knowing he would move into a backup role from the start.

St. Bonaventure, eh?

And if I did any sort of research, I am positive I could find more examples.
You’re suggesting Coulibaly is better than Ballard?

He came last year, played 9.5 minutes per game.

This coming year, if Osunniyi doesn’t come back, he will likely start. But it’s not a 100% lock, and he went there knowing he would move into a backup role from the start.
Anselem is better than either of those guys.