Class of 2020 - C Quincy Ballard (NY) Transferring from FSU to Wichita St | Page 43 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Quincy Ballard (NY) Transferring from FSU to Wichita St

I think you have to trust the staff if the are rerecruiting him after 2 years at FSU. They've seen him play and watched his tape, probably talked to LH and they still want him.
Well...I trust my eyes on this one. If he turns out great, I will be gladly wrong. But, watching his high school highlights and whatever I could find from college, this kid should look at lower levels and we should look for better.

Advanced stats suggest Ballard is very similar to Anselem re: production.

Well...I trust my eyes on this one. If he turns out great, I will be gladly wrong. But, watching his high school highlights and whatever I could find from college, this kid should look at lower levels and we should look for better.
I get that. I have to think Carey is 2 years away from being able to play center in the ACC. If that's true, the guy they bring in now should start next year.

On the plus side, he isn't a beanpole, which is refreshing.
On the downside it looks like he's a stiff.
Would prefer they find an experienced mid major who wants to play in the acc but whatever.
Ballard, Carey, Brown compete for the backup mins. Open comp, best player in practice gets to be Jessie's understudy.

On the plus side, he isn't a beanpole, which is refreshing.
On the downside it looks like he's a stiff.
Would prefer they find an experienced mid major who wants to play in the acc but whatever.
Ballard, Carey, Brown compete for the backup mins. Open comp, best player in practice gets to be Jessie's understudy.
If Carey is healthy, he has the athleticism to cover the ground we need him to, but he hasn't played due to injury AND he is too skinny to really do well. By his senior year, he could be a monster, I would hate to rob him of that year because we couldn't find another capable backup. Brown, if he adds some weight could hold it down for a bit, but he doesn't project as a center. I'm not sure Ballard could cover the whole lane, much less reach the corners.

Cole Swider
Jimmy Boeheim
Symir Torrence

Those transfers were heavily criticized, too. All of them turned out to be better than most expected. (I didn’t say they were all-stars, only that they performed above expectations.)

And before you say they were bad players on a bad team, admit it: You want Swider back and you thought Torrence deserved more minutes.

Ballard is a perfectly acceptable reserve center. We’re talking 5-10 minutes per game.

He is not nearly as poor a play as Chino was. I think we can do slightly better, but for a backup, he’s more than fine. Watch our game vs FSU at the dome.

I did and had mentioned before that was a nice gesture by Hamilton. Obviously an emotional game for Ballard being home. Maybe he would do better being at home? No idea.

Cole Swider
Jimmy Boeheim
Symir Torrence

Those transfers were heavily criticized, too. All of them turned out to be better than most expected. (I didn’t say they were all-stars, only that they performed above expectations.)

And before you say they were bad players on a bad team, admit it: You want Swider back and you thought Torrence deserved more minutes.

Ballard is a perfectly acceptable reserve center. We’re talking 5-10 minutes per game.

In fairness in all 3 of these other cases you had proven success or higher ranking as a recruit.

He didn't play a whole lot this year.

Correct. Like I said and agree with dasher- I don't see the value but would be just fine to be wrong and the staff on the money.

Nope. But JB shouldn’t be either when we hear in January that Jesse has to play the whole game because we have no depth behind him.

Who do you think is going to transfer here to play 10 minutes at most a game? Certainly not anyone who is targeting a starting spot. So your pool becomes very small.

If the staff thinks he can help, provide fouls and a couple minutes then probably the best you can do.

Cuse

Who do you think is going to transfer here to play 10 minutes at most a game? Certainly not anyone who is targeting a starting spot. So your pool becomes very small.

If the staff thinks he can help, provide fouls and a couple minutes then probably the best you can do.

Cuse
I agree, it’s a tough sell to come in and be behind Jesse.

I was more criticizing thr staffs approach. Ballard is from Cuse and we got involved with him very late last year (almost out of desperation). He goes to essentially a peer ACC school and doesn’t even play. Our backup center who has high potential is leaving - and with over 1000 players in the Portal - we are reaching back out to the same kid who didn’t choose us thr first time?

To me it would be nice to see involved with a wider net of players.

I did and had mentioned before that was a nice gesture by Hamilton. Obviously an emotional game for Ballard being home. Maybe he would do better being at home? No idea.
He moved well. Had a nice oop. With some help from the coaches and a good summer, he can definitely be serviceable. Main concern would be staying on his feet on defense. He is a mountain of a man.

I’d love for cuse to pickup a 6-9 or 6-10 240 shot blocker who maybe isn’t your prototypical 2-3 center but is able to come into the game and crash the boards with the best of them. It’s a pipe dream but if JB is really going to run some more next year, that could be a critical piece.

I know this is going to sound like a joke, but, can he cover the corner 3? He sounds a bit slow and stiff. And as much as I hate to say it, its kind of important as long as JB is here. If it were me I'd wait till I heard what Cole is doing first. If Cole leaves id go after a 4 who can also spot time at the 5. That would be a lot of minutes to sell a quality player. I dont see the rush to grab Ballard, players like him will be available. If the staff likes him that much then so be it, but thats what I would do

I’d love for cuse to pickup a 6-9 or 6-10 240 shot blocker who maybe isn’t your prototypical 2-3 center but is able to come into the game and crash the boards with the best of them. It’s a pipe dream but if JB is really going to run some more next year, that could be a critical piece.
I like the following players for the backup C position if they become available in the portal:
Lance Ware, UK
Akok Akok, UConn
David Skogman, UB

I agree - David Skogman from UB may be willing to do that
I like that guy in the portal, Yarden Willis, he's a 7 footer that Washington State is recruiting. I think Skogman is 6'10". Skogman is in the portal.

I don't understand the hate on this guy. I understand that he showed little at FSU. But bigs usually take the longest to improve and reach their potential. Hamilton brings guys in and out of the game. For years we have complained about not having a bulky big guy who can hold his own on the boards. Why not bring him in and see if the staff can help him improve like they have with Jesse and Frank? And if he doesn't work out we move on to the next guy.
I'm not saying we shouldn't look for a better guy if there is one available. But from what I gather the staff is seriously considering this guy and if he can come in and be a Jeremy McNeil type that could be useful.

Last edited: