Class of 2023 - C William Patterson (NY) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (2/20/23) | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 C William Patterson (NY) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (2/20/23)

I like Patterson, Carey and Hima, but does it make sense to have 3 projects with upside when we could just buy a center from the portal if Jesse leaves?

I like Patterson, Carey and Hima, but does it make sense to have 3 projects with upside when we could just buy a center from the portal if Jesse leaves?

I think it does. Hima is ready to play, the other two are just lottery tickets. There are so few athletic big men in the world, and the ones who are good dont stay in college long. You can't necessarily just pick one up in the portal. If it was me I'd rcruit the best athletic 5 I could get every year regardless of depth. Basically you are hoping 25% of them work out and you end up with one good athletic center every 4 year period. Do that and you are the best big man school in the country outside of the top couple highest paying schools who get the top couple big men every year.

How many good centers will be available in the portal? You’re probably looking at kids like Hima.

Who I think will be a decent center though when all is said and done.

Last edited:
None of these centers are good enough to compete at the top of the ACC.

Neither was Jesse when we signed him.

We won a Natty w Craig Forth & Jeremy McNeil at C.
Rounding UP, they averaged a combined 9 & 9.

DaJuan Coleman was our starting C for our most recent FF team.
(And yes - Lydon got the majority of minutes there).

I’d be more than happy with a Baye “Matrix” Keita style defensive C (which Hima absolutely can be, and is already to a great extent) or even a guy like Chewie.

As long as Cuse can get back to having the other 4 starters be talented and skilled scorers, we’re fine with a C who defends, rebounds, protects the rim, and gets us putbacks and dunks now and again.

Neither was Jesse when we signed him.

We won a Natty w Craig Forth & Jeremy McNeil at C.
Rounding UP, they averaged a combined 9 & 9.

DaJuan Coleman was our starting C for our most recent FF team.
(And yes - Lydon got the majority of minutes there).

I’d be more than happy with a Baye “Matrix” Keita style defensive C (which Hima absolutely can be, and is already to a great extent) or even a guy like Chewie.

As long as Cuse can get back to having the other 4 starters be talented and skilled scorers, we’re fine with a C who defends, rebounds, protects the rim, and gets us putbacks and dunks now and again.
ehhh this is another reason I hate the zone. We need rim protectors who can't do anything outside of 5 feet. Playing 4 on 5 on offense is less than ideal.

I think it does. Hima is ready to play, the other two are just lottery tickets. There are so few athletic big men in the world, and the ones who are good dont stay in college long. You can't necessarily just pick one up in the portal. If it was me I'd rcruit the best athletic 5 I could get every year regardless of depth. Basically you are hoping 25% of them work out and you end up with one good athletic center every 4 year period. Do that and you are the best big man school in the country outside of the top couple highest paying schools who get the top couple big men every year.
Hima literally can’t play more than 15 minutes or else he will foul out.

Seems like this kid hasn’t gotten much if any run this year at TPS. They have Fawaz, a ‘25 big, but still odd. I hope / expect the portal is used for a more proven starter or backup. I like Hima more than others (very underrated passer, and good hands), but I don’t like the thought of Patterson behind him.

He's the third C off the bench for TPS. A '25 C comes off the bench before Will.

He's the third C off the bench for TPS. A '25 C comes off the bench before Will.
Obvious question, why are we not recruiting the starting center? Too good for us? Not a unicorn for Jim's zone?

Obvious question, why are we not recruiting the starting center? Too good for us? Not a unicorn for Jim's zone?
Starting center is Seck Zongo '24 6'7. They do have a Big Assane Baye who's 7'3 that gets a little bit more minutes than Will lol.

Starting center is Seck Zongo '24 6'7. They do have a Big Assane Baye who's 7'3 that gets a little bit more minutes than Will lol.
This is the perfect example that we are trying to recruit a specific type, tall and skinny for the zone.

Instead of trying to recruit talent at the C position.

High end Cs don't want to exclusively play zone. Jim's obsession with it is holding the program back.

I wish we got truly active in trying to find kids directly from Europe like Marek (not just prep school kids who are already here). Because you’re basically not competing against any other college programs. Tommy Lloyd became the best international recruiter in the country b/c Gonzaga put the resources and time into succeeding overseas, and it’s worked out incredibly for them.

This is the perfect example that we are trying to recruit a specific type, tall and skinny for the zone.

Instead of trying to recruit talent at the C position.

High end Cs don't want to exclusively play zone. Jim's obsession with it is holding the program back.
Not only no zone, but the top recruits want to be a part of the offense too. They're not content to be the 4th or 5th option if they can be 1 or 2 at another school. And ~7fters who can play on offense are going to be a top-50 recruit and have their choice from a lot of suitors.

I know the zone is debated ad naueam but as long as JB is coaching that’s SUs brand. Will the assistants that are on staff if promoted change that is a good question but I doubt it. I am of the opinion it hurts us on the recruiting trail.

I know the zone is debated ad naueam but as long as JB is coaching that’s SUs brand. Will the assistants that are on staff if promoted change that is a good question but I doubt it. I am of the opinion it hurts us on the recruiting trail.
Not sure why the current assistants would necessarily be locked into the zone if they succeeded JB. Gerry? Probably. But let’s not forget that SU isn’t Red and Griff’s first rodeo as assistants. Red coached under Seth Greenberg at Va Tech. Griff coached under Archie Miller at Dayton, under Tim Welch at Providence, and had stints at St Francis and Hofstra. Both Red and Griff are more than familiar with coaching man to man.

Not sure why the current assistants would necessarily be locked into the zone if they succeeded JB. Gerry? Probably. But let’s not forget that SU isn’t Red and Griff’s first rodeo as assistants. Red coached under Seth Greenberg at Va Tech. Griff coached under Archie Miller at Dayton, under Tim Welch at Providence, and had stints at St Francis and Hofstra. Both Red and Griff are more than familiar with coaching man to man.
The zone has become the Albatross of Syracuse basketball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom