Cal hand picked his opponent? | Syracusefan.com

Cal hand picked his opponent?

"The program got hijacked," he said. "I can't believe the stuff I had to put up with."

Can someone enlighten me about what this means?

and proceded to throw his team under the bus after the game
http://sports.yahoo.com/
Why shouldn't he? There has probably never been a coach that has as little to do with his teams success or failure on the court than Calipari. He's a recruiter, a politician, a celebrity, heck I might even give him credit as a motivator. He whines about how much he "had to put up with this year..." Why? Coaches don't put up with anything, they deal with it. Sometimes players aren't as good as people think they are, especially as freshman. Can you imagine how successful SU would have been if they had a team led by freshman MCW, Rak and Coleman? Those 3 were every bit as highly recruited as the UK kids. Calipari's recent success has always been tied to his recruit's being NBA players forced to play a year in college. He recruited 6 NBA point guards in a 5 year period; Derrick Rose, Tyreke Evans, John Wall, Eric Bledsoe, Brandon Knight and Marquis Teague. Calipari had little to do with how good those players were. They just were. This years freshman were just as highly recruited, they just weren't as good, and Calipari is not a coach who will make his players better.

Why shouldn't he? There has probably never been a coach that has as little to do with his teams success or failure on the court than Calipari. He's a recruiter, a politician, a celebrity, heck I might even give him credit as a motivator. He whines about how much he "had to put up with this year..." Why? Coaches don't put up with anything, they deal with it. Sometimes players aren't as good as people think they are, especially as freshman. Can you imagine how successful SU would have been if they had a team led by freshman MCW, Rak and Coleman? Those 3 were every bit as highly recruited as the UK kids. Calipari's recent success has always been tied to his recruit's being NBA players forced to play a year in college. He recruited 6 NBA point guards in a 5 year period; Derrick Rose, Tyreke Evans, John Wall, Eric Bledsoe, Brandon Knight and Marquis Teague. Calipari had little to do with how good those players were. They just were. This years freshman were just as highly recruited, they just weren't as good, and Calipari is not a coach who will make his players better.
You are assuming its only players he is talking about. It might include boosters. He is a terrific coach, who happens to recruit great players. Your argument means Wooden, Smith, K, Pitino, etc., were/are not great coaches.

You are assuming its only players he is talking about. It might include boosters. He is a terrific coach, who happens to recruit great players. Your argument means Wooden, Smith, K, Pitino, etc., were/are not great coaches.
He's not a great coach IMHO. He gets players thanks to his cheating ways along with boosters help. Every place he's gone he's left behind a dirty trail, howver he never pays for it but that university does.

He's not a great coach IMHO. He gets players thanks to his cheating ways along with boosters help. Every place he's gone he's left behind a dirty trail, howver he never pays for it but that university does.
How you get players has little to do with whether or not you know Xs And Os. His UMass teams were always competitive. All great programs violate NCAA rules, some even when kids are in school. Fans who live in glass houses...!

My statement was regarding Calipari only and has nothing to do with the coaches you mention.

I think it means he's not happy with what he paid for.

Next years recruits probably will get a bump in salary to prevent this kind of behavior.
Thank you for the answers, but "hijacked" is such a weird term. I'm trying to understand his mind. How does a team get hijacked? Al Qaeda? Hijack implies a "whom."

How you get players has little to do with whether or not you know Xs And Os. His UMass teams were always competitive. All great programs violate NCAA rules, some even when kids are in school. Fans who live in glass houses...!

This must explain why JB's program has so rarely been great.

From reading the article, it sounded like Cal wasn't able to discipline some players with playing time because of lack of depth. By not having the right subs, players got away with making poor decisions (at the very least). Now I wonder how he'll get away with not inviting back 5* guys if he has a problem with them. How would it look to recruits?

"The program got hijacked," he said. "I can't believe the stuff I had to put up with."

Can someone enlighten me about what this means?

It means that the kids are being used as scapegoats for the loss and he is taking none of the blame himself.

Even thought the system of continously refreshing first year players will ultimately lead to bad years, Calipari does not want to accept that.

He just threw the freshman and Harrow under the bus, and made it clear that they would not be good enough next year. Lack of class.

Looks like trouble in paradise.
http://zagsblog.com/articles/goodwin-poythress-cauley-stein-expected-to-stay-at-uk/#more-91665

He basically has to dump one or two of the current scholly's just to make things "work" next year.
I'd call him a d*uche, but that would be doing the guy a favor.

This revolving door stuff should really stop.
Honestly, good for those kids. Each one seemed to have a good head on their shoulders and have appeared to be solid kids all year. If they don't feel they are ready to leave, good for them for manning up and staying to get better and improve their stock. And if Cal is ticked off at them for doing so, then F him big time. I hope he doesn't pull any scholies or force kids to leave. He had to know that not every kid is ready to leave after one year, so shouldn't be surprised when some stay. If his whole recruiting strategy backfires as a result of that, then I say, GOOD. His one and done revolving door of first round picks is not a good thing for college hoops and I'm glad it failed this year. Hopefully, it continues to fail and he gets busted for his shenanigans.

Assuming these kids do come back and can come back, I say good on them for apparently keeping up on their academic work. I'm sure they were all told and expected to go pro after one year, but if they've kept up on their work, as sad as it is to say, good for them. Of course, UK is probably just handing out A's like free t-shirts.

I really hope this bad PR snowballs in the media and the "Cal way" becomes the epitome of what top recruits don't want to be a part of. Time to change the culture...

Too many top recruits is an issue, but IMO one that would work itself out. Is it that bad that Poythress, Goodwin and Cauley Stein come back. They may have had some attitude issues, and may not have been as good as expected. But they were freshman - isn't that supposed to happen. Its not like they were horrible - just freshman. Kids typically improve alot as players between year 1 and 2 -- and some improve their attitudes.

UK fans were spoiled that the top freshmen produced very well right away in Cal's first 3 years. Now they can't handle it.

If it means they don't get Wiggins or Randle its probably the end of the world at UK. But should it? They should be happy to have experienced players come back that should be very productive players as sophomres -- instead they are more concerned about getting the greatest recruiting class ever. What a screwed up program and fans.

Calipari is making a mistake. He is trying so hard to get rid of these kids to cover his ass and s hit talking them. I think its an issue that can be managed, and is a good one to have.

Honestly, good for those kids. Each one seemed to have a good head on their shoulders and have appeared to be solid kids all year. If they don't feel they are ready to leave, good for them for manning up and staying to get better and improve their stock. And if Cal is ticked off at them for doing so, then F him big time. I hope he doesn't pull any scholies or force kids to leave. He had to know that not every kid is ready to leave after one year, so shouldn't be surprised when some stay. If his whole recruiting strategy backfires as a result of that, then I say, GOOD. His one and done revolving door of first round picks is not a good thing for college hoops and I'm glad it failed this year. Hopefully, it continues to fail and he gets busted for his shenanigans.

Assuming these kids do come back and can come back, I say good on them for apparently keeping up on their academic work. I'm sure they were all told and expected to go pro after one year, but if they've kept up on their work, as sad as it is to say, good for them. Of course, UK is probably just handing out A's like free t-shirts.

I really hope this bad PR snowballs in the media and the "Cal way" becomes the epitome of what top recruits don't want to be a part of. Time to change the culture...

Too many top recruits is an issue, but IMO one that would work itself out. Is it that bad that Poythress, Goodwin and Cauley Stein come back. They may have had some attitude issues, and may not have been as good as expected. But they were freshman - isn't that supposed to happen. Its not like they were horrible - just freshman. Kids typically improve alot as players between year 1 and 2 -- and some improve their attitudes.

UK fans were spoiled that the top freshmen produced very well right away in Cal's first 3 years. Now they can't handle it.

If it means they don't get Wiggins or Randle its probably the end of the world at UK. But should it? They should be happy to have experienced players come back that should be very productive players as sophomres -- instead they are more concerned about getting the greatest recruiting class ever. What a screwed up program and fans.

Calipari is making a mistake. He is trying so hard to get rid of these kids to cover his ass and s hit talking them. I think its an issue that can be managed, and is a good one to have.

Wow, respect to all three of these posts, first one especially.
Yes, I hate on UK, but not to the point where I'm so blind so as to not see that these kids should be commended on wanting to stay, wanting to redeem themselves.

I hope that this wasn't scripted, that they weren't told to say this. If Cauley-Stein, Poythress and Goodwin all really feel this way, that they want to win one before they leave, kudos to them.

its been explained to death already, sorry you missed out. If you like to know more send me an inbox.

Noel's second choice was Georgetown. You might be referring to Anthony Davis in that we discovered him before Cal swooped him and offered him 250k and this is absolutely true. Ironically had Noel gone go Georgetown or Syracuse they would be the favorite to win it all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom