cal to knicks talk building | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

cal to knicks talk building

Another $4 mill a year is nothing to sneeze at. As an added bonus, Cal wouldn't have to worry about recruiting violations or eligibility. He'd just have a salary cap. And Isiah Thomas's mess.

I dont see why an NBA team wants him. Been there done that with the Nets. Rarely does a college coach have a ton of success in the NBA.

I once heard an interview where JB quoted on this. He said something along the lines of "Of course college coaches don't do well in the NBA. The only teams that are looking for new coaches are bad teams."

I'm too lazy to look up the exact numbers, but I think Cal brought the Nets to the playoffs in his first or second year (Granted, he had a decent team with Jayson Williams, pre-injury Kerry Kittles, and Sam Cassell). He only got fired during the strike shortened season because the Nets were awful without Sam Cassell and didn't have a back-up point guard until they traded for Starbury. By then though, I think Cal was gone.

Damn - writing that made me miss how much I used to love the NBA -- If only the passion of the players and fans was as good now as it was in the 90's...

makes zero sense why he would leave UK for the NBA, except dollars, which, we don't know how much he makes off the books

i'm amazed at some of logic folks here use to assess the choices/behavior of others. top tier coaches are the height of competitiveness. now that he's succeeded at the highest level in college, it's not weird that he might want to pursue that one piece of success that's failed him...and making a ton more money in the process. depending on how big his riff really is with pitino, it could be another driver to succeed where he failed.

one note on cal - he was actually highly respected as an assistant coach in philly after his time in nj. he's no slouch re: x's and o's.

Cal needs to have the advantage of getting kids with cash or fixed grades while others don't to have success much like Saban at Bama. He won't go to the Knicks unless it's really obscene cash and he has a huge ego which both may be possible.

As a Knicks fan, the possibility of having to root for the King of Vacated Final Fours makes my skin crawl. On the plus side, if it means Noel comes to Syracuse, I'm all for it.
ditto

I'm too lazy to look up the exact numbers, but I think Cal brought the Nets to the playoffs in his first or second year (Granted, he had a decent team with Jayson Williams, pre-injury Kerry Kittles, and Sam Cassell). He only got fired during the strike shortened season because the Nets were awful without Sam Cassell and didn't have a back-up point guard until they traded for Starbury. By then though, I think Cal was gone.
From that article i quoted above:

Calipari could’ve had a far different run with the Nets had he drafted Kobe Bryant over Kerry Kittles, but he let agent Arn Tellem scare him off. Still, he did a remarkable job in his second Nets season, reaching the playoffs in 1998, and could’ve survived a sluggish start in his third year had he not made so many enemies inside and outside of the organization. Calipari had underlings searching his phones for ownership-installed listening devices, realizing little that those basketball ops guys assigned to the sweep wouldn’t have known if they had even found one. Of course, they never did.
Calipari expended his energy in all the wrong places, didn’t understand the NBA was a player’s league and it cost him. Even if he’s grown, he hasn’t changed – and 82 games is still a long season with his manic, abrasive style. His X’s and O’s were never an issue in the NBA – he can hold his own – but he wears everyone out. Still, Calipari has always thrived in the chaos, and the Knicks give him that.

As a Knicks fan, the possibility of having to root for the King of Vacated Final Fours makes my skin crawl. On the plus side, if it means Noel comes to Syracuse, I'm all for it.

That's it sandman, take one for the team!

Theoretically speaking, if he was the hired as Knicks coach, could he coach immediately? In other words, does he have to wait until next season or is there a waiting period of some kind?

Maybe if we talk about Calipari to the Knicks enough it will actually happen.

ha, there's no way i could make that sacrifice

Then you've chosen your name wisely and stayed true. But, you must wear a flatop and sit outside of Noels house wearing an Orange jersey until he signs w/SU as your punishment.

Theoretically speaking, if he was the hired as Knicks coach, could he coach immediately? In other words, does he have to wait until next season or is there a waiting period of some kind?

I've wondered about the timing of this.

Yeah, if he was hired today, I don't see any reason he couldn't coach, but I don't think either side would want that, right? (Cal just finished the season, he could probably use a break from coaching, and he doesn't know the players at all really.)

Theoretically, couldn't Noel commit to UK, then Cal leaves in say 6 weeks when the Knicks are knocked out of the playoffs; I guess he would re-open his recruitment? Or would it be too late?

Yesterday on The Herd Steve Kerr was talking about Calipari and said back when he was with New Jersey he was looked at by many as incredibly arrogant and a brat. He said while he's still arrogant he has calmed down and matured quite a bit. Also, I've read that Calipari's failure in NJ has always left a real bitter taste in his mouth. He really deep down wants to mend that blemish on his career resume and looks at the NYK job as the perfect opportunity. The biggest stage, already has players who are very talented, and will have more experience and perspective than his first time around. In all honesty, say he goes and does fail again, he would probably have his pick of college job openings whenever he chose to return. Love him or hate him he wins and brings great exposure and money to whatever program he coaches nd there's a lot to be said for that.

I've wondered about the timing of this.

Yeah, if he was hired today, I don't see any reason he couldn't coach, but I don't think either side would want that, right? (Cal just finished the season, he could probably use a break from coaching, and he doesn't know the players at all really.)

Theoretically, couldn't Noel commit to UK, then Cal leaves in say 6 weeks when the Knicks are knocked out of the playoffs; I guess he would re-open his recruitment? Or would it be too late?
If Cal leaves then Noel and the other recruits can re-open their recruitments when the school gives them their release.

If Cal leaves then Noel and the other recruits can re-open their recruitments when the school gives them their release.

That's what I thought; that could be pretty crazy if it went down like that.

Yesterday on The Herd Steve Kerr was talking about Calipari and said back when he was with New Jersey he was looked at by many as incredibly arrogant and a brat. He said while he's still arrogant he has calmed down and matured quite a bit. Also, I've read that Calipari's failure in NJ has always left a real bitter taste in his mouth. He really deep down wants to mend that blemish on his career resume and looks at the NYK job as the perfect opportunity. The biggest stage, already has players who are very talented, and will have more experience and perspective than his first time around. In all honesty, say he goes and does fail again, he would probably have his pick of college job openings whenever he chose to return. Love him or hate him he wins and brings great exposure and money to whatever program he coaches nd there's a lot to be said for that.
Agree 100%

Be smart guys- scholarship papers only - no LOIs

I dont see why an NBA team wants him. Been there done that with the Nets. Rarely does a college coach have a ton of success in the NBA.
Strange, when I think of Cal, oddly, I think of him as an NBA coach in the NCAA. I think it really is his persona and what he sells. He sells college basketball as a profession at UK.

Many successful college coaches want out to the NBA because they hate the recruiting. Having your future success mostly dependent on the whims of 17-18 year old kids. And now that stars leave after a year they are constantly having to replace them very year. I can see why some leave.

ha, there's no way i could make that sacrifice

You know, the more I think about it, the less willing I am to trade Cal for Noel. Thirty plus games of Noel, for 82 games of Cal over who knows how many years doesn't seem like such a fair deal.

You know, the more I think about it, the less willing I am to trade Cal for Noel. Thirty plus games of Noel, for 82 games of Cal over who knows how many years doesn't seem like such a fair deal.

Bingo. Plus we could still get Noel anyway. And even if we don't, we'll still be really good.

now that he's succeeded at the highest level in college, it's not weird that he might want to pursue that one piece of success that's failed him...and making a ton more money in the process.

I think Calipari, like all competitors, wants to leave his mark, preferably in a unique way. He's won a NCAA championship but isn't likely to own substantial all time records in the NCAA. There are a lot of people ahead of him in all categories. He might be very tempted to seek back to back championships, but believe the NBA is an area where he'd like to succeed next. The number of basketball coaches who have won championships in the NCAA AND NBA is small. Like one..., i.e. Larry Brown. I've got to believe that he'd like an Olympic gold medal as well. He's just never been a successful long-timer anywhere he's coached and may well be ready for the next challenge. I'm ready for him to move on too. Soon, like before 4/11/12, would be good.

Not if they sign LOI's, though...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom