cal to knicks talk building | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

cal to knicks talk building

Not if they sign LOI's, though...

I seem to remember reading awhile back that Cal advises all of his recruits NOT to sign LOIs. Wasn't that how he was able to bring John Wall and DeMarcus Cousins with him when he left Memphis?

Frank Isola's all over it

2m Frank Isola@FisolaNYDN
Shocked that John Calipari, in the middle of recruiting season and with Knicks job not officially open, would say he's staying at Kentucky

59s Frank Isola@FisolaNYDN
I fully expected coach Cal to say, "I just want my recruits and Mike Woodson to know that I'm gunning for the Knicks job."

I think Calipari, like all competitors, wants to leave his mark, preferably in a unique way. He's won a NCAA championship but isn't likely to own substantial all time records in the NCAA. There are a lot of people ahead of him in all categories. He might be very tempted to seek back to back championships, but believe the NBA is an area where he'd like to succeed next. The number of basketball coaches who have won championships in the NCAA AND NBA is small. Like one..., i.e. Larry Brown. I've got to believe that he'd like an Olympic gold medal as well. He's just never been a successful long-timer anywhere he's coached and may well be ready for the next challenge. I'm ready for him to move on too. Soon, like before 4/11/12, would be good.

The thought of Calipari coaching the Olympic team makes me a little queasy. Thankfully, I can't imagine a scenario where he would actually be offered the position.

No way he bolts now for the Knicks. I would be stunned.

Forget who they were quoting, but Mike & Mike were quoting some writer/article who talked about how the money is very important for Cal. And that now with a title under his belt, he would very much jump at the chance to capitalize financially on being a commodity.

Also interesting was their talk of Cal's potential dissatisfaction of what he/other top coaches have to do for recruits these days.

For me, if the Knicks threw enough money at him, why wouldn't he go? Biggest stage in the world...tons of cash...some pieces to build around...don't have to deal with NCAA BS.

Shocked that John Calipari, in the middle of recruiting season and with Knicks job not officially open, would say he's staying at Kentucky

I fully expected coach Cal to say, "I just want my recruits and Mike Woodson to know that I'm gunning for the Knicks job."

I read this article, http://espn.go.com/new-york/story/_/id/7775024/john-calipari-says-not-interested-nba-coaching-job. I don't see the 'shock' factor? Sounds like he wants to stay.

Mantis' aren't parasitic, that exploit one cash crop for another when he leaves the former for dead.
Would be nice if Cal disappeared for decades at a time too.

It will all boil down to whether or not he enjoys recruiting. That's really the primary factor for someone working in a profession that revolves around perpetual recruiting. The appeal of having no responsibilities other than coaching your players is as important as the $.

I'm actually starting to think Isola has a hard-on for Calipari. He's had somewhat obnoxious tweets about him for two weeks now. Is he always like that? I only started checking what he says after he first said 50% chance Cal comes to the Knicks if he wins the championship at UK (or something along that line).

It will all boil down to whether or not he enjoys recruiting. That's really the primary factor for someone working in a profession that revolves around perpetual recruiting. The appeal of having no responsibilities other than coaching your players is as important as the $.

Recruiting for him at this point is easy. " Hey kid, want some money?". Done

ill pass on poythress. too much of a high volume ball hog in my opinion. as for cal.. i cant see him coaching in nyc.. as a gm maybe but not coaching.
You're either confusing Poythress for Goodwin or you've never seen him play.

Not if they sign LOI's, though...
Most schools would give the recruits a release from their LOI during a coaching change, unless they want to play hardball. I believe Arkansas wouldn't release their recruits when they had a coaching change last year.

thanks for the clarification.. he showed some great athleticism just seemed like a guy who forces the issue too much in the burger game. love his frame and hops.. just seemed like a me first player and we have a lot of talent at the swing f position already

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom