Calipari wants to run the Knicks? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Calipari wants to run the Knicks?

To answer your question, Rollie Massimino for one, Jim Valvano another...Jay Wright too. I don't think most would consider anyone on 'Nova's championship team last year as "great" players. I could find some more, but the aforementioned quickly come to mind.
So the two greatest upsets in tournament history and Jay Wright.

so the knicks were wanting to bring back Isaih Thomas and only because he said "not interested" is it not happening. LOLLLLLLLLLLL

Calipari is just like Nick Saban. Both couldn't cut it at the professional level where the playing field is far more level from a talent standpoint. UK and Alabama respectively get the cream of the crop consistently, and, unequivocally, the proximate cause of their collegiate successes. Hardly debatable in my view.

On a somewhat related matter, I've always maintained a similar position in regards to Phil Jackson and his anointed 'Zen Master' status. He was as fortunate as any coach could ever be, having attain those championships on the coattails of MJ & Co. as well as Kobe & Shaq in their primes too. The 'Zen Master' of masquerade in my book.
Plus, he owes Tex Winter for coming up with the triangle offense.

Please Please Please make this happen.

It'll bring me immense joy watching the Celtics beat the hell out of his pathetic franchise like a drum.

Knicks should be all over Sam Presti or Masai Ujiri.

If either of those 2 will take the job Dolan should hire them. Hiring Calipari would be great for Kentucky haters.

Ujiri is my clear #1 choice. Presti or David Griffin are probably 2 and 3.

Calipari would be like last. Well, I guess ahead of isiah. If Calipari hadn't signed an extension a few months ago I would have thought he was angling for one

Seems obvious to me this is his admission/tell that he knows hes not much of a coach. Imo he believes in his salesmenship/recruiting qualities...coaching not so much...
That's what the NBA has turned into. Recruiting and building super teams. Coaching is meaningless

I completely believe this. No coach has ever declared complete loyalty to their current team/employer only to be planning their exit behind the scenes.

True. But we go through this every year with John Calipari and the NBA with the outcome never changing.

I completely believe this. No coach has ever declared complete loyalty to their current team/employer only to be planning their exit behind the scenes.
Saban??

Ujiri is my clear #1 choice. Presti or David Griffin are probably 2 and 3.

Calipari would be like last. Well, I guess ahead of isiah. If Calipari hadn't signed an extension a few months ago I would have thought he was angling for one
id like Danny Ainge with Brad Stevens at coach.

can we do that somehow??

Ujiri or bust.

True. But we go through this every year with John Calipari and the NBA with the outcome never changing.
Never say never. It only takes one time.

I'm conflicted. On the one hand, getting this cancer out of college ball would be a godsend. On the other, I'm a knicks fan and absolutely don't want him involved with the franchise. It's bad enough ... and we finally got rid of Mr. Triangle himself.
Get him out of college ball period!

That's what the NBA has turned into. Recruiting and building super teams.
The NBA has always been a "super team" league. Lakers and Celtics, obviously.
The Sixers with Dr. J., McGinnis, Cheeks, etc. Bulls, with multiple HOF players, Rockets had multiple HOF players in one year (and really won because the Bulls were not the Bulls), as did the Heat and Spurs.
Why do people only get upset when it's the players making their own decisions about where they want to play?
Fans always lament that the players only care about money, not winning. Durant, for one, took a lot less money to win. Paul lost money being traded.
This idea that a player should stick it out with the team that drafted him is lunacy. Why does he owe that team anything? He was conscripted to play for that team, against his will and for an artifically depressed salary. He owes that team nothing. In fact, they don't owe any team anything other than best efforts and behavior while under contract.

Last edited:
The NBA has always been a "super team" league. Lakers and Celtics, obviously.
The Sixers with Dr. J., McGinnis, Cheeks, etc. Bulls, with multiple HOF players, Rockets had multiple HOF players in one year (and really won because the Bulls were not the Bulls), as did the Heat and Spurs.
Why do people only get upset when it's the players making their own decisions about where they want to play?
Fans always lament that the players only care about money, not winning. Durant, for one, took a lot less money to win. Paul lost money being traded.
This idea that a player should stick it out with the team that drafted him is lunacy. Why does he owe that team anything? He was conscripted to play for that team, against his will and for an artifically depressed salary. He owes that team nothing. In fact, they don't owe any team anything other than best efforts and behavior while under contract.

But the super teams in that era were built via draft and trade. That isn't how they are built nowadays. It's about a bunch of guys looking for the easy way out to get a ring so they can "claim" (even though they aren't) an all time great.

If Money isn't important any more to the players and it's "all about winning" they shouldn't have a union and get rid of the CBA and play for less money across the board. It's also very selfish of the top end elite players who are hurting other players. When the top superstar takes less money it means the last guy on the bench eventually will get paid less money in each round of CBA agreements. And it gives the league leverage to lower the minimum salary. Hey if Durant and Lebron won't play for a max contract, why shouldn't you (the scrub players) also play for less the owners will say. And to those lesser players last guy on the bench type who may have a short NBA career that is kind of a big deal as they aren't getting mega star contracts to lose money like that.

It is bad for the league to have only 1 or 2 good teams and the rest of the teams be essentially worthless bottom feeders which is what the NBA is today. It's why the NBA Is a joke. The regular season and playoffs are meaningless until you get to Cavs-Warriors in the Finals for a week each year. The NBA has turned into a 1 week a year sport where it actually matters. So yeah the players are within their rights to form a superteam but the bottom line is the current players have no legacy, will never be remembered as all time greats because they took a "shortcut" to get a ring, and they are damaging the sport that provides them a lifestyle and money. It's also why other sports like the NFL and MLB are so much more popular than the NBA across the board these days and have a bigger following. Why you have NBA Hall of Fame players saying on TV the NHL playoffs are better than the NBA playoffs and the NBA playoffs are boring.

The Superteams and lazy/greedy NBA players of this era are killing the sport. Some fans aren't bothered by it (like you), some are (like me.) The sad reality is the vast majority of fans don't care and don't watch the NBA anymore because the majority of teams have NO SHOT of winning anything before the season begins and that is the reality of it.

Come on Dolan. Stop playing with your terrible band for one day, do something related to basketball, and pay the man. Sorry hardcore Knicks fans. This would be glorious.

But the super teams in that era were built via draft and trade. That isn't how they are built nowadays. It's about a bunch of guys looking for the easy way out to get a ring so they can "claim" (even though they aren't) an all time great.

If Money isn't important any more to the players and it's "all about winning" they shouldn't have a union and get rid of the CBA and play for less money across the board. It's also very selfish of the top end elite players who are hurting other players. When the top superstar takes less money it means the last guy on the bench eventually will get paid less money in each round of CBA agreements. And it gives the league leverage to lower the minimum salary. Hey if Durant and Lebron won't play for a max contract, why shouldn't you (the scrub players) also play for less the owners will say. And to those lesser players last guy on the bench type who may have a short NBA career that is kind of a big deal as they aren't getting mega star contracts to lose money like that.

It is bad for the league to have only 1 or 2 good teams and the rest of the teams be essentially worthless bottom feeders which is what the NBA is today. It's why the NBA Is a joke. The regular season and playoffs are meaningless until you get to Cavs-Warriors in the Finals for a week each year. The NBA has turned into a 1 week a year sport where it actually matters. So yeah the players are within their rights to form a superteam but the bottom line is the current players have no legacy, will never be remembered as all time greats because they took a "shortcut" to get a ring, and they are damaging the sport that provides them a lifestyle and money. It's also why other sports like the NFL and MLB are so much more popular than the NBA across the board these days and have a bigger following. Why you have NBA Hall of Fame players saying on TV the NHL playoffs are better than the NBA playoffs and the NBA playoffs are boring.

The Superteams and lazy/greedy NBA players of this era are killing the sport. Some fans aren't bothered by it (like you), some are (like me.) The sad reality is the vast majority of fans don't care and don't watch the NBA anymore because the majority of teams have NO SHOT of winning anything before the season begins and that is the reality of it.

Finals ratings have been great the last 3 years.

The league hasn't been lowering the minimum salary; they've been going up, and they're going to continue to do so.

Revenue continues to go up. If anything, the top players taking less money helps the rest of the players, because the league needs to pay out X% of their revenue to the players no matter what, so less for Durant and Lebron (who isn't taking pay cuts anymore) is more for everyone else.

Finals ratings have been great the last 3 years.

The league hasn't been lowering the minimum salary; they've been going up, and they're going to continue to do so.

Revenue continues to go up. If anything, the top players taking less money helps the rest of the players, because the league needs to pay out X% of their revenue to the players no matter what, so less for Durant and Lebron (who isn't taking pay cuts anymore) is more for everyone else.

No doubt the Finals ratings are great, it's a 1 week a year sport and that's the one week. The rest of the year the ratings aren't good in fact they are way down. Down some 14% for 27 of 30 teams in the league on the local front and the national ratings (TNT/ESPN) are down as well. When you have killed the regular season off and the playoffs (minus the Finals) nobody wants to watch the games as everyone knows the outcomes are meaningless!! Local NBA ratings drop substantially during 2016-17 season

Players taking less money does NOT help the rest of the players that is a silly myth. When the next CBA is up you will see how the owners will have their way and mop the floor with the union over this. Less for the top players does not mean more for everyone else in the long-run it will mean less for everyone in the long-run. The sport is dying slowly and all of the warning signs are there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom