Class of 2020 - Camden Hay (NY: Victor) Attack / Flipped to UAlbany | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 Camden Hay (NY: Victor) Attack / Flipped to UAlbany

Believe Marr can check in with his current player and his family anytime he wishes.

Anybody who's authorized to recruit. Desko / Donahue / Rogers.

What's the level of contact? Can a coach reach out to a kid (before Sept 1 of his jr year) and invite him to a camp?

What's the level of contact? Can a coach reach out to a kid (before Sept 1 of his jr year) and invite him to a camp?

No contact before Sept 1.

Of course, if the coach happens to know someone in the kid's club program, I'm sure messages are exchanged. ;)

The Scanlan recruiting showed what this staff was capable of but there is a major issue with our handling some of these guys who are committed and that is indisputable.

The coaching staff is not the reason Scanlan chose to come here. Scanlan chose to come here because of the Haudenosaunee Promise Scholarship, the fact that he fit into our rotation and was guaranteed playing time, he already knew guys on the team so he was going to fit in socially, and we had his major. So many positives to him coming here, so I think we just got lucky. It had nothing to do with Desko and Co.

I think another reason why Hay decided to transfer is because he would be playing right away his freshman season. A big reason we seem to be skipping over with these de-committs is they dont know if they will ever get playing time. All of this redshirting NEEDS to end. I mean, why is Matt Lane and Ryan Simmons, who put up 14 points between the both of them the entire 2018 season getting playing time over Wisnauskis? Also, most recently Pat Carlin who put up 3 points the whole entire year getting playing time over the Kim Bros, Magnan, Owen Hill, etc? Dami was horrible his freshman season, and it looks like he will be getting playing time over incoming freshman Aviles, who in my opinion is the better of the two.

Winaskaus is a top all around talent and his transfer will always sting. Just imagine him and Scanlan .

In fairness to staff, choice was either him supplanting #22 Evans or red shirting rather than waste a year of eligibility playing a rather secondary role. Maryland reaps th reward of an extra year but cant assume he would have stayed if played some

Dami is going to be a beast at ssdm.

No.
Agreed. I generally can't stand UA but Marr is widely known as the kind of coach who goes out of his way to communicate with his players and recruits. His compassion when personal tragedies happen is well known locally.

Good luck to Hay at UAlbany. It sounds like the move makes sense for a number of reasons, and while it is certainly disappointing to lose a recruit of this caliber, its important to remember there are things outside of life other than lacrosse. If he'd switched to a fellow ACC school or Big Ten, I'd be much more concerned. Hay looks like he'll be a really good player and I think he would have made a big impact right away on the hill.

That said, it is really disappointing to read more accounts of the staff not being engaged with their recruits. I think it's obvious that early recruiting has really hurt Syracuse, and the 2020 class has really been decimated by it. I guess the good news is that the era of recruiting high school freshmen and sophomores is over, so hopefully the staff can regroup for 2021. It is still a bit of a mystery how the staff could lose all these kids over a period of a year. Some I understand, Hay and his brother, White and Blake go to Ivys, Zawada and scholarship money ... but, I mean that is still a lot of guys.

My best guess is that SU did a very good job of scouting and finding good young players and reaching out early to secure a commitment. Then once those recruits profiles got bigger as they got older the staff did not maintain communication as they should have, other coaches came to them and SU was nowhere to be found. I think this issue was compounded by the fact that SU got commitments so early, and didn't realize that they would have to maintain these relationships for such a long time.

I do think Desko is stuck in the past a bit, I think he thinks SU by itself should be enough to entice recruits, and I don't think this comes from a bad place, but I think he wants kids to come to SU, who actually want to come to SU - I don't get the sense that he wants to over pressure and really push kids to come to a place they don't really want to be. This makes me think of the staff's response to Matt Gaudet when he told them he was offered by Yale. Now, that doesn't excuse the way they've done things the past year, I think they need to do a better job of not "pressuring", but making kids actually feel wanted, and not ignored. It's a fine line, one that the staff clearly hasn't mastered yet.

It's frustrating, especially considering all the work staff put in with Scanlan to have this happen again, but, I think this really is a special circumstance, and we should try and be patient. I get the sense the staff really does a great job with players once they get to campus, but we really seem to be struggling to get them there right now. I think what frustrates us the most is that Desko is a really good coach on the field and in the locker room, but there seems to be the big hole, that if they could fill, they would really be outstanding.

Good luck to Hay at UAlbany. It sounds like the move makes sense for a number of reasons, and while it is certainly disappointing to lose a recruit of this caliber, its important to remember there are things outside of life other than lacrosse. If he'd switched to a fellow ACC school or Big Ten, I'd be much more concerned. Hay looks like he'll be a really good player and I think he would have made a big impact right away on the hill.

That said, it is really disappointing to read more accounts of the staff not being engaged with their recruits. I think it's obvious that early recruiting has really hurt Syracuse, and the 2020 class has really been decimated by it. I guess the good news is that the era of recruiting high school freshmen and sophomores is over, so hopefully the staff can regroup for 2021. It is still a bit of a mystery how the staff could lose all these kids over a period of a year. Some I understand, Hay and his brother, White and Blake go to Ivys, Zawada and scholarship money ... but, I mean that is still a lot of guys.

My best guess is that SU did a very good job of scouting and finding good young players and reaching out early to secure a commitment. Then once those recruits profiles got bigger as they got older the staff did not maintain communication as they should have, other coaches came to them and SU was nowhere to be found. I think this issue was compounded by the fact that SU got commitments so early, and didn't realize that they would have to maintain these relationships for such a long time.

I do think Desko is stuck in the past a bit, I think he thinks SU by itself should be enough to entice recruits, and I don't think this comes from a bad place, but I think he wants kids to come to SU, who actually want to come to SU - I don't get the sense that he wants to over pressure and really push kids to come to a place they don't really want to be. This makes me think of the staff's response to Matt Gaudet when he told them he was offered by Yale. Now, that doesn't excuse the way they've done things the past year, I think they need to do a better job of not "pressuring", but making kids actually feel wanted, and not ignored. It's a fine line, one that the staff clearly hasn't mastered yet.

It's frustrating, especially considering all the work staff put in with Scanlan to have this happen again, but, I think this really is a special circumstance, and we should try and be patient. I get the sense the staff really does a great job with players once they get to campus, but we really seem to be struggling to get them there right now. I think what frustrates us the most is that Desko is a really good coach on the field and in the locker room, but there seems to be the big hole, that if they could fill, they would really be outstanding.

Excellent post, you nailed it.

Dami was horrible his freshman season, and it looks like he will be getting playing time over incoming freshman Aviles, who in my opinion is the better of the two.
Playing time at what position though? Dami is a ssdm and it's very difficult to project how a high school senior will perform at that position at the next level.

Playing time at what position though? Dami is a ssdm and it's very difficult to project how a high school senior will perform at that position at the next level.
You're right-- for some reason I thought he was a Midfielder but either way he was late on slides or helped when not needed that cost us many goals. He sat out last year, and could have improved over that time so we will see. After seeing Aviles dominate in that tournament on ESPN against highly ranked recruits, he should be seeing the field sooner rather than later-- before decommits and goes elsewhere by having to sit out 2 years to even see the field. He's talented enough to play M or SSDM next year, wherever coaching staff thinks he's needed.

Dami had gr
Victor is churning out players closest to what WG was 20-30 years ago.

I don’t like what this says about the staff’s relationship with the preeminent upstate hot bed.

I don’t see anyone who came up through the Victor youth program on our roster (Trimboli transferred to Victor from Greece in high school).

I know club relationships are important but it’d be nice if SU could establish a foothold in Victor kids at an earlier age.
Other than Trimboli, is there another current college AA player from Victor?

Winaskaus is a top all around talent and his transfer will always sting. Just imagine him and Scanlan .

In fairness to staff, choice was either him supplanting #22 Evans or red shirting rather than waste a year of eligibility playing a rather secondary role. Maryland reaps th reward of an extra year but cant assume he would have stayed if played some

Dami is going to be a beast at ssdm.

I think they could have played Bomberry at midfield that year with Salcido and Mariano and slide Wisnauskas to attack, but it is what it is. Must be hard to play the red-shirt or not red-shirt game - Tyson Bomberry played about 5 minutes in total his freshmen year, would have been nice to have him back for a red-shirt year this year. Feels like Evans could have really benefited from a red-shirt year. You could go back and forth on a number of players. I do think the coaches have been a lot better about playing youngsters if they see promise (Curry, Dordevic, Cook), which I tend to think is the safe way to go.

I think they could have played Bomberry at midfield that year with Salcido and Mariano and slide Wisnauskas to attack, but it is what it is. Must be hard to play the red-shirt or not red-shirt game - Tyson Bomberry played about 5 minutes in total his freshmen year, would have been nice to have him back for a red-shirt year this year. Feels like Evans could have really benefited from a red-shirt year. You could go back and forth on a number of players. I do think the coaches have been a lot better about playing youngsters if they see promise (Curry, Dordevic, Cook), which I tend to think is the safe way to go.

If you play a kid as a true frosh, he stays engaged for the whole season and he's less likely to get transfer ideas in his head.

Chayse.
Chase is not a college AA, maybe someday.

Point being made is that while Victor has been a local powerhouse in recent years and some from those successful teams are on college teams, I dont see a position player who was a top 100 or making much of a mark in college game at least not yet . 18's were Cain Loyola, Pizzementi Canisus, Babbitt JHU and Russell Michigan. Latter saw a little time at ssdm but others saw hardly at all..

Staff can be questioned on decommits but seems the best two position players of recent from Victor were Trimboli and Hay who were recruited. Made this mention before but appears upstate is not producing AA or large pool of top tier talent like Maryland, LI, PA, NJ, Conn , Westchester.
Cuse should always keep in contact with locals but also have to extend their tentacles, unfortunately school seems at a disadvantage dealing with the preps but good at least to see the IMG connection.

Good points on both Bomberrys. Think it always boils down to need and circumstances. If team was ready to contend with older talent in 17 then likely youngsters Dordecic and Curry may have seen limited time because experience does factor. As far as Winaskaus, do not think rs mattered much into decision. He and everyone else knew he was starting at Cuse next year and it wouldn't have shocked me if he was offered #22 to stay. Tough to swallow but he wanted to go home .

Chase is not a college AA, maybe someday.

Point being made is that while Victor has been a local powerhouse in recent years and some from those successful teams are on college teams, I dont see a position player who was a top 100 or making much of a mark in college game at least not yet . 18's were Cain Loyola, Pizzementi Canisus, Babbitt JHU and Russell Michigan. Latter saw a little time at ssdm but others saw hardly at all..

Staff can be questioned on decommits but seems the best two position players of recent from Victor were Trimboli and Hay who were recruited. Made this mention before but appears upstate is not producing AA or large pool of top tier talent like Maryland, LI, PA, NJ, Conn , Westchester.
Cuse should always keep in contact with locals but also have to extend their tentacles, unfortunately school seems at a disadvantage dealing with the preps but good at least to see the IMG connection.

Glad you already knew the answer to your question regarding Victor collegiate AAs. ;)

They graduated another AGR POY this year - an AA defenseman going to PSU next year. The younger Pezzimenti is going to tOSU next year and they have another 2020 kid committed to Albany (not Hay).

It's a strong program less than 1.5 hours away from campus and while none of these kids may win a Tewaaraton they add quality depth.

I agree with increasing the push for top tier talent from PA, LI, MD, etc. I see Victor as the only rising program in Upstate while Section III has fallen off.

Corrections : Dordevic and Curry were frosh on 18 team when injection of youthful talent started. 17 team had Mariano, Salcido at mid and then frosh Trimboli started with them a few games in

Made this mention before but appears upstate is not producing AA or large pool of top tier talent like Maryland, LI, PA, NJ, Conn , Westchester.

Now I realize that may get a slight boost from the lower NY yorktown sort of area but I think it goes to show there is still some talent coming out of our neck of the woods.

Glad you already knew the answer to your question regarding Victor collegiate AAs. ;)

They graduated another AGR POY this year - an AA defenseman going to PSU next year. The younger Pezzimenti is going to tOSU next year and they have another 2020 kid committed to Albany (not Hay).

It's a strong program less than 1.5 hours away from campus and while none of these kids may win a Tewaaraton they add quality depth.

I agree with increasing the push for top tier talent from PA, LI, MD, etc. I see Victor as the only rising program in Upstate while Section III has fallen off.
Somehow Chayse was not even in IL top 25 freshman list which was a mistake imho

"Other are

Now I realize that may get a slight boost from the lower NY yorktown sort of area but I think it goes to show there is still some talent coming out of our neck of the woods.
Not upstate NY

"Other are

Not upstate NY

Chase Scanlan, Nick Mellen, Jared Connors, TD Ierlan are all Upstate (Unless you want to debate about Western NY vs. Upstate). Maybe those other two he mentions are too but I don't know off the top of my head.