Class of 2020 - Camden Hay (NY: Victor) Attack / Flipped to UAlbany | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 Camden Hay (NY: Victor) Attack / Flipped to UAlbany

Conversations with people, being around the locker room, interactions with coaches and players. Not that hard really to see if you’ll fit in or not.

Just focus on the positive that you want to play with bro and move on.

He clearly just wanted to play with his brother, the rest of this stuff is nonsense save for maybe SUs lack of keeping in touch. That seems to be an issue that needs to be looked into by the staff and Wildhack.

It's a shame we can't get SU's side of the story on how often we contact recruits. Maybe Desko needs to borrow some of Dino's social media staff.

My point is he has an easy out without being negative about syracuse.

Could all be true. Maybe he didn’t have to say those things but he is a kid and doesn’t exactly have a pr firm. Look at what those genny kids said about Messere, talk about immature.

Conversations with people, being around the locker room, interactions with coaches and players. Not that hard really to see if you’ll fit in or not.

How much of that has he done from Victor though? He hasnt been around the team or locker room and apparently we didn't stay in contact often so you would assume interaction with the coaches were limited. To me its crystal clear what happened. His fathers injury/health made him want to play with his brother and Albany relentlessly pursued him until he finally pulled the trigger. The rest of that stuff was fluff.

Last edited:
It's a shame we can't get SU's side of the story on how often we contact recruits. Maybe Desko needs to borrow some of Dino's social media staff.

You are right it would be nice to hear Desko or Rogers take on the situation. I will say that its come up enough times that something is up with contact just unclear on what scale were talking about here. I certainly don't blame that for all the 5 guys we lost in this class last fall and now but it's likely playing some sort of role.

How much of that has he done from Victor though? He hasnt been around the team or locker room and apparently we didn't stay in contact often so you would assume interaction with the coaches were limited. To me its crystal clear what happened. His fathers death made him want to play with his brother and Albany relentlessly pursued him until he finally pulled the trigger. The rest of that stuff was fluff.

I don’t know that he has or hasn’t been around the team. I’d assume he’s taken in a lot syracuse games though. Why wouldn’t he?

One of the coaches is a family member at ualbany, seems like a no brainer that he’d fit in better there.

You are right it would be nice to hear Desko or Rogers take on the situation. I will say that its come up enough times that something is up with contact just unclear on what scale were talking about here. I certainly don't blame that for all the 5 guys we lost in this class last fall and now but it's likely playing some sort of role.

Maybe someday the NCAA will let coaches publicly comment on the "ones who got away".

Maybe someday the NCAA will let coaches publicly comment on the "ones who got away".

They really should, the one sided current set up is ridiculous. I'm encouraged by our recruitment of Scanlan, hope we see more of that this summer and fall with 2020 and 2021 classes

To me its crystal clear what happened. His fathers death made him want to play with his brother and Albany relentlessly pursued him until he finally pulled the trigger. The rest of that stuff was fluff.
His father is still alive.

I didn't read too much into his comments and they didn't leave me with a bad/worst taste or impression of him or Syracuse. I definitely get a "Grateful Dead, let's all smoke a peace pipe" vibe with Scott Marr. Even though it's superficial, even looking at their roster photos gives off a laid back YOLO feel. State school with 30/46 of last season's roster from NYS. Cousin, who was a good player there, as an assistant coach and brother 2 years older...yeah I can see UAlbany feeling like one big family.

A tip of the cap to Albany for leveraging family connections, keeping in touch with the kid and creating a family atmosphere and style of play that is appealing to recruits.

No worries, I deleted my post as I should’ve PM’d it instead.

Appreciate the correction, glad to hear he survived. I must have confused him with someone else.

I didn't read too much into his comments and they didn't leave me with a bad/worst taste or impression of him or Syracuse. I definitely get a "Grateful Dead, let's all smoke a peace pipe" vibe with Scott Marr. Even though it's superficial, even looking at their roster photos gives off a laid back YOLO feel. State school with 30/46 of last season's roster from NYS. Cousin, who was a good player there, as an assistant coach and brother 2 years older...yeah I can see UAlbany feeling like one big family.

Yup I corrected my post. Confused him with another players dad who I think had a heart attack at a game and tragically passed away.

I heard from some Rochester area people that this attitude was the reason TD Ierlan transferred. He is a serious student and focused kid who didn't really fit in well at Albany.
Hay committed to Albany because of his family connections and it had nothing to do with SU coaches, atmosphere etc.

I have no issues with the kid decommitting. The early recruiting was a disaster and unfortunately SU has felt the repercussions more than others. The same reasons why Hay committed to UA are probably the same ones why Ierlan left (plus an Ivy education). The looser style is great for some and not for others. The over recruiting thing is definitely a reason from what I can see. SU has plenty of UA AA and top 100 kids who never see the field or in a limited capacity. His chances of playing and playing with his bro has to be a huge plus. Plus Marr is a players coach and a very good recruiter. Not sure SU has anyone like that from what I have heard.

In the same way that we laid out all the positive reasons for Scanlan to make the move to Syracuse, I think the same thing could be said for why Hay decided to switch to Albany. I mean, people were discussing the reasons he might make the move almost a year ago, this wasn't a huge surprise. If he had made the move before Zawada, Blake, White, et al made their decommits, I don't think we'd be giving it this much attention. But now, it's one more loss and it just feels compounding. Hopefully we can just come to terms with the fact that some kids want different things. We didn't land him, but apparently we were a draw for Irelan because we had a different culture than Albany.

I think the comment about SU not feeling like a "family" was disappointing to hear, but again, some people have different thoughts about what that means. I can't watch that Brendan Curry video after the Loyola loss and not think that the team thinks of itself as a family. I can't watch coverage from Lake Placid and not think that. So, again, different things to different people, but I would not classify SU as being "not a family".

Marr may be a players coach and good recruiter for school but that program is also 2-16 vs Syracuse and lost by 8 to us last year so all is not lost. If Cuse tuition were $25k then selling college to many families would also be easier task.

Read take from another site that certain Ivies poach and they are ok with potential recruits committing early to another before seeing if they can gain admission . Mentioned Shay and Yale. If true, that is shady practice by some. Our staff can be critiqued in some areas but few question their integrity

Marr may be a players coach and good recruiter for school but that program is also 2-16 vs Syracuse and lost by 8 to us last year so all is not lost. If Cuse tuition were $25k then selling college to many families would also be easier task.

Read take from another site that certain Ivies poach and they are ok with potential recruits committing early to another before seeing if they can gain admission . Mentioned Shay and Yale. If true, that is shady practice by some. Our staff can be critiqued in some areas but few question their integrity

It's not a shady practice at all. If you're talking about recruiting committed players I think that's just outworking people. Do you think Babers should stop recruiting VanDyke because it's shady? Heck no. Now if you're talking about a kid who commits to school XYZ (holding a spot) and then flips because he got accepted into an Ivy school - so what. That kid and his family are looking out for themselves which is perfectly fine with me and what they should do.

A revenue sport is a different breed, there has been a dirtier side to the businesses of football and basketball.

"Commitment" use to mean something to both sides especially before early recruitment .

If poaching the "committed" and/or the "committed" holding down a spot with no sincerity is ok with the crowd then do away with " commitment" signings and let the field remain open for both players and coaches to best better their respective situations . Can envision the day when lax coaches backing out of commitments is the next acceptable practice in lax when no honor amongst thieves is the norm

A revenue sport is a different breed, there has been a dirtier side to the businesses of football and basketball.

"Commitment" use to mean something to both sides especially before early recruitment .

If poaching the "committed" and/or the "committed" holding down a spot with no sincerity is ok with the crowd then do away with " commitment" signings and let the field remain open for both players and coaches to best better their respective situations . Can envision the day when lax coaches backing out of commitments is the next acceptable practice in lax when no honor amongst thieves is the norm

I don't see it that way and you wouldn't either if it was your kid.

I am with you Phat. The recruiting scene is crazy. Coaches are out for #1, they have all the leverage. i've heard some real BS over the last year. We don't hear about schools pulling scholie's but it happens, or they leave it out there, reduce it the next year and bring in a new shiny toy. I love SU but from a lacrosse perspective it absolutely has to be the right fit. I also generally root against UA no matter what but many kids these days don't care if they went 2-16 against us. Its the kids, the coaches, the fit and culture of the campus and the prospects of PT (add in $$$ for the parents).

WRONG, my kid if contacted and recruited by an Ivy would fall under "applying for the admissions process at Ivy x " like most of their recruits do instead of committing to another as a fallback and holding up a spot while applying to a IVY knowing that you would decommit if accepted. It's a shady practice, plain and simple

I am with you Phat. The recruiting scene is crazy. Coaches are out for #1, they have all the leverage. i've heard some real BS over the last year. We don't hear about schools pulling scholie's but it happens, or they leave it out there, reduce it the next year and bring in a new shiny toy. I love SU but from a lacrosse perspective it absolutely has to be the right fit. I also generally root against UA no matter what but many kids these days don't care if they went 2-16 against us. Its the kids, the coaches, the fit and culture of the campus and the prospects of PT (add in $$$ for the parents).
So let men get this straight , you have no problem with a kid and family that are recruited by an IVY not knowing if his SAT tutoring pays off committing to a Syracuse under false pretenses holding up a spot knowing full well he has no plans to go there if his grades eventually pass enough muster? Good Lord .

Lot more respect for that list of IVY recruits who commit to the 'admissions process" than the ones who play a game of deception. I can tell you that many wouldn't get a sniff of a IVY if not for lax but play it straight