Can SU land a nationally recruited 4 Star Recruit | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Can SU land a nationally recruited 4 Star Recruit

He had offers from Wisconsin and West Virginia, those are pretty good schools.

Definitely and he was a good HS player. My only point is, he wasn’t a nationally sought after player.

Kids like this are what make recruiting interesting to follow. Besides that, this is a different Syracuse staff and a different program than anytime in our past 15 years or so. We have a dynamic offense, we have better facilities, we have better funding, and we’re in a better conference. Eventually, we will start landing high profile kids that we pick up on late after a decommit. However, MS has been recruited by this staff for over a year and two of his teammates have already committed to Syracuse this cycle. Different story.

Yup. That was a generation ago. But please go ahead and compare how we signed a HS All-American in 1999 to this situation. Did we sell him on the wishbone?

You sell what you can sell.

Winners in life like Dino figure that out.

Losers who whine "they never come here" never amount to anything, and thank the lord they're not leading our football program.

Culpepper, Amie and Jonas were players we recruited for over a year, completely different type of recruitment then this one.

This recruitment is much more similar to an Oku or Ishaq Williams. He’s a national prospect that is waiting till the end because he’s good enough that programs will wait for him.

Syracuse will be the bridesmaid again like it has for the last 12-15 national players that we’ve thrown the kitchen sink at over the last two decades. Pitt can sell him as the next Shady or Dion Lewis. Syracuse can sell him...who? The next Kyle Macintosh?!?! We just don’t get these types of players. We just don’t.

We didn't recruit Culpepper for over a year. We actually stumbled onto him late in the process. He basically fell into our laps when Tim Lester (?) was at Plant, saw Rex in hallways, realized the kid didn't have any committable offers left and we swooped in. That was Dec I think.

R

Losers who whine "they never come here" never amount to anything, and thank the lord they're not leading our football program.
Right? If someone thinks there is o shot a kid that's well sought after would come here, and those are the types of players we need to land to turn it around, then why on earth would you even follow this team? I guess they'll just be 4-8 forever.

Splitting hairs.

Write-off Dino at your own peril.

These comments are so silly, very Donald Trumpish. Stating the obvious, that a player who committed to us but wasn't a nationally recruited player is just stating facts. Not everything is an attack against DB.

You got bent out of shape about comments like this during the Shafer years too. Very silly.

I have some snake oil for sale.

was gonna stay out of this because it's correct on some levels but i think you have to define national level recruit. If a kid has Texas A&M beating his door down or visits Wisconsin or LSU is he a National level recruit? DeVito certainly was, Ravien Pierce, Nadarius Fagan were. Jaquan Nelson OV'd to Georgia. Jake Pickard OV'd to Wisconsin and Michigan. So did Iffy Mel. Hendrix? Wallace?

Salahuddin is an elite talent but we're battling UNC, Pitt, Maryland, USC for him. Throw out USC and it's no different than many kids Dino is landing versus our peer group. My gut says they get it done here to, and if they don't it'll be on to the next one.

It's been since the early 90's that we've beaten out FSU, Miami, Notre Dame, Texas for the same kid. And that's ok, the landscape is much different now.

(and Culpeper committed to Syracuse in June smh; not somebody we stumbled on late who had no other choices)

Last edited:
It’s really not this complicated. Look, in the last 15-20 years, this programs best players have been either under the radar prospects like an Eric Dungey or higher rated prospects like a Franklin or a Devito that committed to Syracuse before there stock blew up and the factories had a chance to seriously recruit them.

Point being is that historically Syracuse has not done well going head to head down to the wire for a national recruit with other major football programs. They just haven’t. Especially coming off of another losing season.

Again, hope I am wrong and a few weeks from now I can be called out for it. But until then, not going to spend another second following this. Good luck to the kid and his decision.

I’m guessing you’re not in sales. If you believe you have no chance, you don’t. Fortunately, HCDB and Co. do the selling for us.

I’m guessing you’re not in sales. If you believe you have no chance, you don’t. Fortunately, HCDB and Co. do the selling for us.

Which is absolutely true but the narrative some people are implying, that we just started trying to recruit 4-5 star talent is silly. Every coach we’ve had since I’ve been watching SU (~23 yrs) have offered numerous blue chippers, nationally sought after, and high star recruits. This isn’t some new phenomenon.

Which is absolutely true but the narrative some people are implying, that we just started trying to recruit 4-5 star talent is silly. Every coach we’ve had since I’ve been watching SU (~23 yrs) have offered numerous blue chippers, nationally sought after, and high star recruits. This isn’t some new phenomenon.

What is different is that many of these kids are actually visiting HCDB. unlike Shafer you have to be in it to win it.

What is different is that many of these kids are actually visiting HCDB. unlike Shafer you have to be in it to win it.

That is a good point.

I’m not going to spend another second following this, I’m just going to start an entire thread devoted to it. :rolleyes:

Not entirely related to this discussion, but Mekhi Brown, the guy from Alabama who took a swing at one of his coaches is transferring to Tennessee State...

I suggest taking a quick look at that roster. It has enough former 4-stars on there to make a Cuse fan weep, including good old Ebenezer Ogundeko and former Florida QB Treon Harris, among others.

And they put together a 6-5 season at the FCS level. I don't have a real point; I just find it interesting.

Football | Roster | Official Site of Tennessee State Athletics

Not entirely related to this discussion, but Mekhi Brown, the guy from Alabama who took a swing at one of his coaches is transferring to Tennessee State...

I suggest taking a quick look at that roster. It has enough former 4-stars on there to make a Cuse fan weep, including good old Ebenezer Ogundeko and former Florida QB Treon Harris, among others.

And they put together a 6-5 season at the FCS level. I don't have a real point; I just find it interesting.

Football | Roster | Official Site of Tennessee State Athletics
Last Chance U++

ESPN used HCDB's VT locker room speech for last year's playoff commercial. The essence of what CFB should be. Clemson speech was pretty good, too.

Recruits see that. They want to play for a coach they believe in. "Things are different around here". That's what the players believe, recruits, too. Chicken little has left the building.

This situation is just different because of all the Woodson connections in this class. We have been irrelevant garbage for the better part of this century but the quality of kids taking officials this cycle is certainly a tier above where we were. We've moved on from mostly high-level MAC quality recruits to low-level p5 recruits and that is fine with me as it was the next step up towards relevancy. Win 7 games and a decent bowl this year and maybe are making another step up to the mid-level p5 kids which gets us in that top 40 class range and in the 5-7 range among ACC schools which is our likely ceiling given our recruiting territory.

This situation is just different because of all the Woodson connections in this class. We have been irrelevant garbage for the better part of this century but the quality of kids taking officials this cycle is certainly a tier above where we were. We've moved on from mostly high-level MAC quality recruits to low-level p5 recruits and that is fine with me as it was the next step up towards relevancy. Win 7 games and a decent bowl this year and maybe are making another step up to the mid-level p5 kids which gets us in that top 40 class range and in the 5-7 range among ACC schools which is our likely ceiling given our recruiting territory.

We're already in the top 45 and top 7 in the ACC depending on where you look, and that's coming off a four win season? Imagine when we actually start winning games. That ceiling seems rather low, especially now that we're establishing pipelines in better 'territories' like Detroit/DC/Florida/etc.

We're already in the top 45 and top 7 in the ACC depending on where you look, and that's coming off a four win season? Imagine when we actually start winning games. That ceiling seems rather low, especially now that we're establishing pipelines in better 'territories' like Detroit/DC/Florida/etc.

Hence the numbers I used. We aren't outrecruiting Clemson, Miami, FSU, VT regularly. That's just completely unrealistic anytime in the near future. We need to be in that next range consistently battling with UNC, Louisville, GT and Pitt. That's our competition we need to beat on and off the field to be a borderline top 25 team.

Also don't see us in the top 45 or top 7 anywhere. 46th and 8th is top I see...

Also don't see us in the top 45 or top 7 anywhere. 46th and 8th is top I see...
*one of the biggest sites* has us ranked 34 nationally and 7 in conference.. my point is that ‘another step up’ to a top 40 class isn’t really that much of a step because we are essentially almost there. And if that’s our ceiling, then $#!&

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Foxda130

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom