can we beat duke ? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

can we beat duke ?

Do you think they play worse defense than we do? My hope is they are cold because they are going to get any shot they want whenever they want it.

How did they give up 94 to Wake? We didn't.

just saw something (forget where) that really surprised me - apparently Duke's defensive 3pt % is top-ten in the nation - holding teams to around 28% or something like that :confused:

As we saw with Louisville, they are capable of beating anyone when the gears are clicking. However, as we saw with Louisville, bad execution can cost them. This team is very bipolar; you don't know who you're going to get from night to night. One thing is for sure, if they want to stay competitive and pull off the upset Tyler Lydon cannot have another no show game like he did against Ga. Tech.

just saw something (forget where) that really surprised me - apparently Duke's defensive 3pt % is top-ten in the nation - holding teams to around 28% or something like that :confused:

Yeah. It's their interior D that is weak. That's where we need Taurean and Lydon to take advantage.

Well its time to nut up or shut up because I can't think of a worse option for us than UL at KFC Yum.

Hopefully TT can be productive in the paint against Duke. Wake had Collins, who is obviously very good, get around 20 on them and forced some double-teams that gave them other looks. Even as bad as they are on D (though KenPom doesn't necessarily support that) we aren't going to beat them just on our perimeter game, IMO. I think they can stay in front of our guys enough to win in the ISO game battle on the perimter and they do defend the 3 well. So, having some post scoring would be huge for us. If we can't get anything in the paint then it could be a long night.

kennard is the deep threat. i repeat kennard is the deep threat. do not abandon him out top. pin yourself like a prom corsage to his 'n chest.

The other thing interesting about Duke is even though they have won 7 in a row they have been outrebounded 4 out of the last 5 games and turned the ball over more than their opponent 7 out of the last 8 games.

The other thing interesting about Duke is even though they have won 7 in a row they have been outrebounded 4 out of the last 5 games and turned the ball over more than their opponent 7 out of the last 8 games.

Good points. If we had just an average defense then all signs point to an SU win but... I just hope the team has a good plan on offense and can execute.

That is sort of my point - they play just like us. Poor rim protection, loose with the ball, and inconsistent defensive effort on D. Giles makes a difference for them now that he is back and their guys by the numbers are better on the offensive end than ours. We need to shoot it well and hope they aren't at their usual level. If everyone plays to their numbers we lose.

That is sort of my point - they play just like us. Poor rim protection, loose with the ball, and inconsistent defensive effort on D. Giles makes a difference for them now that he is back and their guys by the numbers are better on the offensive end than ours. We need to shoot it well and hope they aren't at their usual level. If everyone plays to their numbers we lose.

Just curious why you think Giles makes a difference as their 7th guy? He has played more than 10 minutes in the last 6 games just once.

Just curious why you think Giles makes a difference as their 7th guy? He has played more than 10 minutes in the last 6 games just once.
and he didn't see the floor in the 2nd half their last game vs Wake

HELL YEAH !

14200957-standard.jpg

just ask daisy !
Only if JB can squeeze 39 or 40 minutes out of the starters.

I watched the Virginia game and he played very well in about 20 minutes of game time. Why he played or didn't play at Wake I have no idea. He was very effective at Virginia and he was the top ranked recruit in some rankings. If people don't think getting him back in December helped their team, I don't know what to tell them. I"m sure with his injury and his rustiness the slow pace of Virginia helped him contribute. The Wake track meet not so much.

I think that's a function of minutes more than anything else. CJ averaged far more minutes than Rak. And during CJ and Fab's sophomore year, CJ played in 7 more games. Fab had 175 rebounds in 30 games (total of 763 minutes). CJ had 199 rebounds in 37 games (977 minutes). Although CJ did have many more defensive boards. Wonder if that was because of Fab back in the middle there making teams afraid to drive, thus resulting in a lot more 3s and thus more long rebounds. Interesting.

View attachment 90007
Dang I was just salivating at that roster

I watched the Virginia game and he played very well in about 20 minutes of game time. Why he played or didn't play at Wake I have no idea. He was very effective at Virginia and he was the top ranked recruit in some rankings. If people don't think getting him back in December helped their team, I don't know what to tell them. I"m sure with his injury and his rustiness the slow pace of Virginia helped him contribute. The Wake track meet not so much.

That's the only game he's played a lot of time recently and that was due to Jefferson being in foul trouble. My point was he would be like the 7th guy we will be concerned about and probably plays at most 5-10 minutes unless someone gets hurt or is in foul trouble.

never mind that he's really bad on defense :noidea:

i've just caught pieces of the last couple games but it seems tatum and kennard are the ones the scouts are scribbling notes about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom