Can we get Jim Tressel? | Syracusefan.com

Can we get Jim Tressel?

Antz201

Scout Team
Do we have enough boosters to make it happen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SU would have to show cause. Why don't we just get Kelvin Sampson and Dave Bliss to coach the basketball team?

SU would have to show cause. Why don't we just get Kelvin Sampson and Dave Bliss to coach the basketball team?
because we already have a bball coach that knows how to win games.

From Andy Staples, SI

But the COI blew it in Tressel's case. The committee gave Tressel a five year show-cause, but the penalty only has teeth for the first five weeks of Tressel's first season, when he must miss games. He also must miss that season's bowl game. Basically, you can get one of the best coaches in the history of the game, and all it will cost you is five games and a progress report submitted to the NCAA every six months. Tressel can still recruit. He can still hire a staff. All he has to do is sit out five weeks of meetings, practices and games.

SOLD!! where do i sign up for this??

im on my way to the store to buy 5 seasons worth of Orange vests as i type.

And even coming from a Michigan alum, that's a deal with the devil I'm willing to make here.

Well, I think there's enough probable cause...:)

Wasn't there already a long discussion about Tressel in another thread?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Alot of wishful thinking in this thread.

He's not a long term solution. There isn't any coach out there that won't treat SU as a stepping stone to a bigger job. Marrone is the one guy who would stick with the Cuse even if he became very successful here. He's a young coach and he may be going through some growing pains. Admittedly, I have lost some faith in him and his coaching decisions but it's too early to pull the plug on him. The talent has improved greatly in his first 4 years.

He's not a long term solution. There isn't any coach out there that won't treat SU as a stepping stone to a bigger job. Marrone is the one guy who would stick with the Cuse even if he became very successful here. He's a young coach and he may be going through some growing pains. Admittedly, I have lost some faith in him and his coaching decisions but it's too early to pull the plug on him. The talent has improved greatly in his first 4 years.

Look around CFB and name the HCs that have been at their current school a decade? It doesn't happen anymore. Let's not take a 1950s view of who our HC is. Cincy has had success with 3 coaches in the last decade. Marrone is the longest tenured BE coach. Good coaches move on. If someone wants our HC that is a good thing.

Also if the talent has "improved greatly" then why statistically did GRob kids produce as underclassman but Marrone kids cannot get onto the field? Why can we not win games, having lost 8 in a row. Wouldn't a upgrade in talent improve on 12-13 and not go 6-10?

Look around CFB and name the HCs that have been at their current school a decade? It doesn't happen anymore. Let's not take a 1950s view of who our HC is. Cincy has had success with 3 coaches in the last decade. Marrone is the longest tenured BE coach. Good coaches move on. If someone wants our HC that is a good thing.

Also if the talent has "improved greatly" then why statistically did GRob kids produce as underclassman but Marrone kids cannot get onto the field? Why can we not win games, having lost 8 in a row. Wouldn't a upgrade in talent improve on 12-13 and not go 6-10?

I wouldn't have agreed with this post 5 years ago, but I have no problem with it now. Best case scenario is to have a coach who stays for the long haul, but that's mostly fantasy at this point. If Marrone ends up failing, then we need to open up the check book and go hard after the biggest fish we can land. No more money excuses seeing that we're going to be swimming in cash within the next year.

There isn't any coach out there that won't treat SU as a stepping stone to a bigger job.

Who care!?!?!!? This program needs momentum. It needs a guy who can come in and recruit top talent and win games. If they guy turns around and leaves it'll make it that much easier to find the next coach because we'll be a program on the upswing.

Who care!?!?!!? This program needs momentum. It needs a guy who can come in and recruit top talent and win games. If they guy turns around and leaves it'll make it that much easier to find the next coach because we'll be a program on the upswing.

This guy is in Dubai and makes more sense than the rest of you guys. That's a great problem to have. Get Tressel in here stat! I love Doug Marrone's enthusiasm for the program, love the fact he's an alum and love the fact he wants the job for life. But you know what, i want and have all those things too and it doesn't make me a good HC.

Doug is an assistant and i'm convinced of it more than ever. DOESNT MAKE HIM A BAD GUY. I hope i'm stressing myself here. This board gets worked up when you knock down a binky. I like Doug, wrong guy for the job. Nothing wrong with that.

Im not loking to change coaches and I'm not big on getitng a "big name" coach. We've never gotten a famous coach to come here. Coaches get famous here. And I agree about the risk of a famous coach using us as a stepping stone. He might not wait until the job is done here.

But if we did go that route, I've love to offer the job to Tressell, who once worked here as part of Dick MacPherson's staff. I always thought the "tattoo" scandal was tempest in a teapot and should never have caused Tressell to lose his job. We've since seen what a real scandal looks like by comparison. Tressell's got to start over somewhere- why not here?

I will say this: If you want a big name coach ehre, put your fanny ina seat. They are far more likely to come to coach where there is a full house than where the cheers are echos.

While Tressel might have some history with Cuse, I believe that Butch Davis is a much better option for where a good portion of this board wants the team to go. (sarc)

That's basically irrelevant.

As long as they stay long enough to get us to where we want to be. What if they don't, (example: Lou Holtz at Minnestoa).

As long as they stay long enough to get us to where we want to be. What if they don't, (example: Lou Holtz at Minnestoa).
Eh, can't worry about that really.

Do we have enough boosters to make it happen?
LOL, with all the perceived troubles we have, imagine the fallout from a guy who has left NCAA violations behind him like candy wrappers.

And you imagine that Tressel might ever be hired at an SU chaired by Nancy Cantor? Good one.

I'm with Cantor. Tressel is toxic.

Schnellenberger is free...

486996_10100510408279617_1836047824_n.jpg

You, me, my suspenders, a bottle of Bellevue Touraine Sauvignon Blanc, a pair of jumper cables, an equestrian show saddle, and a Tibetan sherpa. It will be MAGICAL.

Tressel has put every team he has coached on probation, no thanks. SU doesn't have the Teflon Don thing going for it that Ohio State does.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom