Can we go back to a dual threat QB?? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Can we go back to a dual threat QB??

The only successful SU drop back passer I remember is Todd Philcox.

Ryan Nassib went 21-18 with bowl wins over KSt and WVU. He had 3753 yds his senior year, number two is 900 behind, 70 tds, including most in a season

Who is the last 5 star drop back passer we recruited here? Even mcNabb was always a dual threat

Absolutely! McNabb was a dual threat, as was Kevin Johnson, who was a high 3 or 4 star recruit in the same class that battled McNabb all preseason for that spot. If my memory serves me correctly, McNabb wasn’t named the starter until the week leading up to the first game that season. McNabb we know never relinquished it afterwards and KJ was moved to receiver and shined for us there as well.

No doubt though, as others have alluded, our greatest successes have been with dual threats, Graves, McPherson, McNabb, etc. In my opinion, it’s clearly relative to the level in which we have historically been able to recruit.

Absolutely! McNabb was a dual threat, as was Kevin Johnson, who was a high 3 or 4 star recruit in the same class that battled McNabb all preseason for that spot. If my memory serves me correctly, McNabb wasn’t named the starter until the week leading up to the first game that season. McNabb we know never relinquished it afterwards and KJ was moved to receiver and shined for us there as well.

No doubt though, as others have alluded, our greatest successes have been with dual threats, Graves, McPherson, McNabb, etc. In my opinion, it’s clearly relative to the level in which we have historically been able to recruit.

McNabb wasn't "publicly" named the starter.

The job was his.

freeze option baby. and how can they credit the tight end throwback to fouts / winslow last night when every syracuse fan knows it's mcnabb /brominski ?????

McNabb/Sinceno and McNabb/Roland Williams as well!

I believe that a Duel threat QB is a necessity for SU. One recruit vs 5 oline recruits. We have always done best with QBs who can make something happen with their legs.
It's very hard to get a running qb who has an elite arm. If they did they would be going somewhere bigger than syracuse.

It's very hard to get a running qb who has an elite arm. If they did they would be going somewhere bigger than syracuse.

Yeah. In the McPherson - Graves- McNabb years, good running QBs who could throw went to Syracuse or Nebraska. All those meathead football factories would move them to Safety or something.

McNabb wasn't "publicly" named the starter.

The job was his.
That’s not true. I remember that whole training camp we had no idea who the starter would be. There were three that had a shot at it. Can’t remember the third. Even the paper the week going into the opener was talking about all three and what they brought to the table. Wish I could remember the third kid.

That’s not true. I remember that whole training camp we had no idea who the starter would be. There were three that had a shot at it. Can’t remember the third. Even the paper the week going into the opener was talking about all three and what they brought to the table. Wish I could remember the third kid.

Keith Downing.

Everyone who went to the previous Spring Game or the preseason practices (which were wide open to the public back then) knew who the starter was going to be at UNC.