Can we recruit wo jb | Syracusefan.com

Can we recruit wo jb

kcsu

Living Legend
We are coming off a final 4. 7 open skips starting roles What if Gmac cant close with the professor and this set up...

What's the sound of one hand clapping? VM

We are coming off a final 4. 7 open skips starting roles What if Gmac cant close with the professor and this set up...
Can we recruit with him as a lame duck?

Honestly, who knows?

He's been the program for 40+ years, so we're about to head into uncharted territory. Anything said one way or the other about what the future might hold is entirely speculative.

As JB says, we'll be fine.

The two coaches before him won almost 70% of their games.

Honestly, who knows?

He's been the program for 40+ years, so we're about to head into uncharted territory. Anything said one way or the other about what the future might hold is entirely speculative.

Agree, and it's why I'm somewhat hesitant that an elite program as SU should turn over the reigns to an unproven commodity.

It's why I'm somewhat hesitant that an elite program as SU should turn over the reigns to an unproven commodity.

I want to be clear--I LOVE Hopkins, absolutely love the guy. But I'm on the same page with you. Would have PREFERRED to see us go after a proven head coach to succeed Boeheim [not that I disagree that Hopkins "deserves" the shot, that he's patiently waited when he could have left, etc.].

We've seen lots of examples where replacing icons hasn't gone well in college basketball--just because a brand is strong is no guarantee that the replacement will automatically continue to perform at the same level. Knight at Indiana, Smith at UNC, Thompson at Georgetown -- all took massive steps backwards when their succession "plans" didn't work out [sometimes, its even the guy after the guy who replaces the icon who eventually runs things into the ground (i.e., Matt Doherty, Kelvin Sampson, etc.)]. And in several of those cases, the immediate successor was the designated chosen guy from the outgoing coach.

Again, nothing against Hop.

Last edited:
I'll admit I am not looking forward to JB stepping down at all! I don't think the program with crash and burn without him but he's all I have ever known and he's had a long run of sustained excellence. Its just the great unknown like RF2044 stated above. I hope Hopkins steps in and does a great job, I hope Gerry follows after him and does a great job.

I'm not worried about Hop continuing to recruit talent. I am nervous about whether he can coach. His trial last year was not encouraging. His ability to make adjustments during a game was poor or non existent (see St. John's game). But for now I'll be optimistic.

I mean, who else did we have to put in last year lol. As far as Hop goes, I guess I'm not that worried about a smoother transition.

We clearly can't even recruit WITH JB anymore!!! So, without him, we're doomed. DOOMED!!!
:p

(related: this site desperately needs a sarcasm font)

I'm not worried about Hop continuing to recruit talent. I am nervous about whether he can coach. His trial last year was not encouraging. His ability to make adjustments during a game was poor or non existent (see St. John's game). But for now I'll be optimistic.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts as well.

agree as well. The excuse that it wasn't his team, and he was just trying to keep the lights on, didn't fly with me. Perhaps, coming out in a certain set, and having that be inefficient, sure, but then not making changes??... (MR shooting 20 times at SJU, 4-20 fgs, 0-11 3pts) Kinda screams being overwhelmed or incapable of managing the game to me. I will say, that JB may be one of the best at in game adjustments in the country, so someone average, would seem significantly worse in comparison. Hopefully, Hop will learn and improve. He has worked with JB and Coach K as well, for many years. Can't get better schooling than that.

Agree, and it's why I'm somewhat hesitant that an elite program as SU should turn over the reigns to an unproven commodity.

Well, if Mike bombs, he won't get more than 2 years. The Dome will still be here, and we will hire an experienced coach to replace him. We make too much money on basketball to let it fall apart.

If Mike had coached the team in preseason and we knew JB was going to miss the first 9 games, then I would be more concerned if he only went 4-5. As it turned out, JB was suspended on like 1 or 2 days' notice before the Georgetown game. It was even more unsettling than it would have been to the players. I can give him a mulligan on that. As for in game adjustments, I thought Mike used his bench more than JB does, and he is the one who worked Frank into the rotation. JB had not played Frank as much in the previous games.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom