Can we stop the Jay Wright as our next coach now? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Can we stop the Jay Wright as our next coach now?

He might care. Some people want to be the best of the best. I don't know why that notion is so absurd. He's the king of a boring a$$ conference no one cares about or watches.

I could mybe see your point if we are talking about him taking an ACC job at UNC or something similar. But let's be real, Arizona to Syracuse is a lateral move at best. Maybe even a step down.

Recruiting kids to the ACC isn't that difficult. I understand where you guys are coming from but top coaches want to compete at the highest level, you don't get that in the PAC 12 most years. Im sorry but if I am a coach ACC>PAC 12 all day. And as far as recruiting, he would have just as much success recruiting to Syracuse as Arizona.

No way in hell he recruits as well to Syracuse as Arizona. Arizona basically picks anyone they want from the entire West Coast.

Unfortunately I think some of you are over-evaluating the Head coaching job at Syracuse. JB has done such a great job for such a long time, and I think Hopkins will continue the trend. We are lucky to have that. But it's still just a really cold place to most of the rest of the country.

Can we get off the Sean Miller bandwagon as well?
Duke, North Carolina, Kentucky and Kansas are about the only schools that I can think of right now that are a step up from coaching at Syracuse. There are a few that would be lateral moves, and Arizona is one of those.
And, more importantly, Really disliked Miller as a player at Pitt.

I could mybe see your point if we are talking about him taking an ACC job at UNC or something similar. But let's be real, Arizona to Syracuse is a lateral move at best. Maybe even a step down.

No way in hell he recruits as well to Syracuse as Arizona. Arizona basically picks anyone they want from the entire West Coast.

Unfortunately I think some of you are over-evaluating the Head coaching job at Syracuse. JB has done such a great job for such a long time, and I think Hopkins will continue the trend. We are lucky to have that. But it's still just a really cold place to most of the rest of the country.

I disagree, we get good recruits here. We genuinely don't go after top 10 recruits because we go for guys who fit our system. I think Syracuse is as competitive as any school besides maybe Kentucky or Duke. Even so, we beat Duke out sometimes as it looks like we may with Tyus Battle. I think you might be over-evaluating Arizona as a coaching job also.

I disagree, we get good recruits here. We genuinely don't go after top 10 recruits because we go for guys who fit our system. I think Syracuse is as competitive as any school besides maybe Kentucky or Duke. Even so, we beat Duke out sometimes as it looks like we may with Tyus Battle. I think you might be over-evaluating Arizona as a coaching job also.

We don't go after top 10 guys because we have no chance of getting them. If we did, JB would be all over it.

I dont think Im over evaluating Arizona at all. Arizona and Syracuse have pretty equal resumes on paper. But Zona has less competition, is surrounded by better recruiting areas, and is obviously a much more pleasant place to live in multiple ways.

I can't see how or why Miller would ever leave Arizona for Syracuse unless we either offered him more money (which we cant), or if he was a Syracuse guy (which he isnt)

jec1521 said:
We don't go after top 10 guys because we have no chance of getting them. If we did, JB would be all over it. I dont think Im over evaluating Arizona at all. Arizona and Syracuse have pretty equal resumes on paper. But Zona has less competition, is surrounded by better recruiting areas, and is obviously a much more pleasant place to live in multiple ways. I can't see how or why Miller would ever leave Arizona for Syracuse unless we either offered him more money (which we cant), or if he was a Syracuse guy (which he isnt)

False.

We don't go after top 10 guys because we have no chance of getting them. If we did, JB would be all over it.

I dont think Im over evaluating Arizona at all. Arizona and Syracuse have pretty equal resumes on paper. But Zona has less competition, is surrounded by better recruiting areas, and is obviously a much more pleasant place to live in multiple ways.

I can't see how or why Miller would ever leave Arizona for Syracuse unless we either offered him more money (which we cant), or if he was a Syracuse guy (which he isnt)

Fair points, I agree they have less competition for recruiting, not sure they have "better recruiting areas" though. I want to point out also that I do not think he would come here nor do I want him here (I want Hop). All I am saying is there is something to be said for playing the best night in and night out. I do not think Arizona is a better job at all, I think it is about even. If I am a top coach though, I would pick Syracuse over Arizona simply for the conference. You are correct though, that we can't offer as much, Syracuse just is not a large university in comparison. If we could though, I do not see how any top coach would choose the PAC 12 over the ACC. And also, you have to remember that the perennial power house in UCLA has been down for quite some time. As soon as they come back around plus I believe USC is on the rise, recruiting will get a bit tougher.

Re: SU vs Arizona recruiting

Recently, we have recruited head-to-head on 2 guys that I know of--Ashley and Jefferson. Obviously, SU did not win those battles.

Re: SU vs Arizona recruiting

Recently, we have recruited head-to-head on 2 guys that I know of--Ashley and Jefferson. Obviously, SU did not win those battles.

That's such a small sample size though, you can't expect me to believe Arizona is better because of two recruits.

That's such a small sample size though, you can't expect me to believe Arizona is better because of two recruits.
Because of geography, we don't compete very often. When we do, Arizona, at least recently, wins. And Jefferson is from Philly.

And, I didn't say Arizona is better. My point is that it is in a better location to recruit to.

Because of geography, we don't compete very often. When we do, Arizona, at least recently, wins. And Jefferson is from Philly.

And, I didn't say Arizona is better. My point is that it is in a better location to recruit to.

Gotcha, maybe my orange glasses are too thick lol. As you said we usually aren't going after the same kids so it's not much of an issue. We usually dominate philly though.

Back to the OP, forget Wright. Name the last even good big man they have had. Even a good forward (and I don't mean some 6'5" small forward playing PF). And my off the wall pick is Bobby Hurley, especially if the decision on Hop isn't made for a year and it can be seen how good a job Hurley is doing at UB.

Back to the OP, forget Wright. Name the last even good big man they have had. Even a good forward (and I don't mean some 6'5" small forward playing PF). And my off the wall pick is Bobby Hurley, especially if the decision on Hop isn't made for a year and it can be seen how good a job Hurley is doing at UB.

You would take Hurley over Hop?

It seems he flames out every year. the only year he didn't, he only had to be jaime dixon. That shouldn't count. Good guy. Great Dresser. But I will take my chances with Hop. Look closer guys.
bless you

Why are so many people trying to come up with names to be our next HC when we have Hop right here?

I was simply trying to rebuttal that Cuse was as good if not a better job as Arizona. I want Hop to take over, he deserves it. There is something to be said for his loyalty. Plus he is a great recruiter which is more than half the battle.

I'll bet when the west coast runs out of water Syracuse will be quite a fine place to live. But in all honesty I'm baffled why people hate on the city so much. If your only ties are because it's a great place to go to college, well I don't know what to think about that.

Hurley may end up at Depaul.

We should hire Kevin Ollie and put the final nail in Yukon's coffin. Then make him sign a contract that stipulates that he never returns to Yukon even if the contract is terminated. Then fire him and give the job to Hop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom