Can we stop the Jay Wright as our next coach now? | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Can we stop the Jay Wright as our next coach now?

Why are you bringing up national 'ships in every post?
Sorting by NC's to rate coaches is one of the dumbest concepts ever, even by internet standards. Come up with a better case if you want to campaign for Gmac.

If you followed the thread I was asking what "proven" meant in one of the posts and if that meant in order to be a "proven" coach included winning a national championship.

Pitino is one of the greatest college coaches of all time. G-mac is not in the same world with Pitino . G-mac is a ridiculous idea as a head coach at this time.

I just like hiring from within. And JB was a hired very young and had many years to become a hall of fame coach. I hope if we do end up with coach Hop he can do the job. But I imagine he will need a few years to grow into the position.

Or, we could hire someone who has "proven" credentials. We may have more wins initially but someone with "proven" credentials but maybe someone with "proven" credentials may not hold the job for a long time. And then we may be in the position of changes coaches every few years. And there's no guarentee anyone with "proven" credentials will actually be successful.

Hop has 20 years of experience under JB. He has USA basketball experience. He is a proven recruiter. And he has JB's blessing.

I like the idea of going with someone who I believe will be loyal to the program, and Hop is really the only one that comes close to qualifying and has the SU history. Would it be nice if he had a couple of years experience in the lead chair. Yes. But, that ain't going to happen because no one is hiring him knowing that he may be on his way back here in 3 years or less.

Could GMAC be a good head coach. Probably, but not here; at least not as JB's successor.

It's interesting. Most of us are all in with Hop, but JB's coaching tree hasn't exactly bloomed. Maybe we should be looking outside of the JB coaching tree. Who has had continuing success and continues to have a job other than Pitino? I usually don't consider Pitino to be part of the tree because he was only here a couple of years and it was so early in the JB's career that it isn't as though Pitino was trained by JB.

What are you thoughts about coach Murphy if coach Hop doesn't work out for some reason? Or even coach Red.

What are you thoughts about coach Murphy if coach Hop doesn't work out for some reason? Or even coach Red.

If Hop doesn't work out, meaning he for some reason can't be JB's immediate successor than I would go outside of the program and try to bring in either (a) a name - someone who would make a splash [egs. Wright, Stevens, Miller (Sean), Lavin, Peterson (Buzz not Norm), Cronin (depending on his health) or (b) a lesser name, but someone with a track record of success as a head guy with a smaller program [egs. Smart, Marshall, Miller (Archie). I don't consider Murphy an SU guy and am not really sure he fits into category B yet. Autry doesn't have enough experience at or near the top for my taste. While he has more than GMAC, he is still essentially only been third in command for 4 years.

The universe is bigger than that. You don't live on the same street your entire life. Hop will be the next coach. If he doesn't make it, the next coach will be someone we aren't naming now.

If you followed the thread I was asking what "proven" meant in one of the posts and if that meant in order to be a "proven" coach included winning a national championship.

I was following - you were making a lame straw-man because nobody is dumb enough to think all title-less coaches are equal. Do you really think anyone here wouldn't take Sean Miller in a heartbeat, or that GMac is just as qualified?

I want whoever is the most qualified, and most likely to keep the machine running. If that guy has SU ties, or plays Zone, or dresses like JB circa 1984, great. But none of those things are deal breakers for me.

I was following - you were making a lame straw-man because nobody is dumb enough to think all title-less coaches are equal. Do you really think anyone here wouldn't take Sean Miller in a heartbeat, or that GMac is just as qualified?

I see your point. Sean Miller would be a good hire. Would you take Sean Miller over coach Hop?

I want whoever is the most qualified, and most likely to keep the machine running. If that guy has SU ties, or plays Zone, or dresses like JB circa 1984, great. But none of those things are deal breakers for me.

The problem with hiring someone who doesn't commit to playing the 2-3 zone is everytime they lose people are going to say we should be playing 2-3 zone. Oh wait a minute, everyone says that now about playing man-to-man. I guess I have been persuaded to think hiring from within or young coach is not the answer. I will change my point of view and agree with the other posters hiring the best coach based on resume is probably the best approach. Keeping the "machine running" is probably the highest priority.

Also there are not many active coaches that have won an NC:

Coach K
Roy Williams
Tom Izzo
Rick Pitino
John Calipari
Steve Fisher
Bill Self
Tubby Smith
Larry Brown
Kevin Ollie
Jim Boeheim

billy donovan won two !!

Wright gave an interesting interview on local sports radio yesterday. I thought that Missanelli asked him some tough questions.

Town says this is an under acheiving team, this coach can't get Nova to the top, how do you feel about that?
What needs to change?
Why don't you recruit more big guys?
You are saying your recruiting pool is smaller here?
You've got four guards (next season), thats four great guards, but where are the bigs?
People say you are a good regular season coach, but not a good tournament coach. What's your response to that?

Interesting conversation, probably not Wright's best hour in an interview but the discussion was very interesting.

Wright Interview Podcast

If Hop doesn't work out, meaning he for some reason can't be JB's immediate successor than I would go outside of the program and try to bring in either (a) a name - someone who would make a splash [egs. Wright, Stevens, Miller (Sean), Lavin, Peterson (Buzz not Norm), Cronin (depending on his health) or (b) a lesser name, but someone with a track record of success as a head guy with a smaller program [egs. Smart, Marshall, Miller (Archie). I don't consider Murphy an SU guy and am not really sure he fits into category B yet. Autry doesn't have enough experience at or near the top for my taste. While he has more than GMAC, he is still essentially only been third in command for 4 years.

I would consider Archie Miller too and Sean ain't leaving AZ to come to SU anyway. How about Greg Marshall? That guy can coach his tail off.

Wright gave an interesting interview on local sports radio yesterday. I thought that Missanelli asked him some tough questions.

Town says this is an under acheiving team, this coach can't get Nova to the top, how do you feel about that?
What needs to change?
You've got four guards (next season), thats four great guards, but where are the bigs?
People say you are a good regular season coach, but not a good tournament coach. What's your response to that?

Interesting conversation, probably not Wright's best hour in an interview but the discussion was very interesting.

Wright Interview Podcast

That was a good listen. He says that Nova is recruiting in a smaller pool by choice but it doesn't sound like its by choice to me. After that explanation I would have asked about Amile Jefferson who fits the type of player Jay described but is a PF who went to Duke. (Local, good student, good player but a 4 year guy) Some of it is Jay likes to have a zillion guards and play that way but to get them he has to play a ton of guards. He has to own the fact that he has fallen in love with that a bit and that yes its likely to hurt them on the boards and inside in the tourney against the big boys. I like Wright and I don't think he dodged the responsibility or anything like that but he did dodge the biggest issue. They are in a depleted BE (no football $)on the east coast. Teams like AZ, UK, Duke, UNC, KU, SU are in play and ahead of them for all the big time prospects from Philly, DC, NYC, NJ, NE ect. Nova isn't getting those guys other than the 1 out of 100 and that kid is likely to be a guard not a 6-9 forward or a legit center. Its more than enough to take care of business in the BE but taking care of business in the BE will mean less and less overtime. I do feel that the BE will be the prime mid conference for bball especially in the East but its just going to be a large step down from the ACC especially with the big guys.

Not that I want Sean Miller but the notion we can't afford him would be a bit concerning. Apparently we're the only Top 10 basketball program who can't afford Sean Miller?

Boeheim is incredibly reasonable and has not demanded millions and millions from Syracuse a la Pitino, Donovan, Calipari and K. What we pay JB isn't even in the Top 20, and he still makes a boatload of money.

JB is worth his weight in gold and if we were to ever go after a marquee coach, it would cost an extra $2-3 million/year to get them. No thanks, give me a Hop and then GMac.

I see your point. Sean Miller would be a good hire. Would you take Sean Miller over coach Hop?

I need about 0.8 seconds to think about that.

Sean Miller is a big time coach. From afar I would say what's not to like? I'd take him in a heartbeat.

That said, I know that SU likes to hire from within, not inclined to dole out big $$ and Hop has been patiently waiting for the job. Besides I can't see why Miller would leave AZ unless you paid him a king's ransom. If I were in charge I'd go for the proven commodity.

Sean Miller is a big time coach. From afar I would say what's not to like? I'd take him in a heartbeat.

That said, I know that SU likes to hire from within, not inclined to dole out big $$ and Hop has been patiently waiting for the job. Besides I can't see why Miller would leave AZ unless you paid him a king's ransom. If I were in charge I'd go for the proven commodity.

At first I did not agree with this argument. But after several posts I agree with the sentiment about getting the best qualified person for the job. If coach Hop turns out to be that person then so be it. But if the new AD can get a moderatlely successful D1 coach he or she should probably pull the trigger. If we could get someone of the caliber of Sean Miller then all the better.

What needs to change?

Wright Interview Podcast

Just to be clear, Missanelli is a clown show.

"Hey ESPN jerk on my show - Ryan Howard is absolutely worth the contract. Preeminent power hitter in the game!".
How's that take working out for ya Mike?

Just to be clear, Missanelli is a clown show.

"Hey ESPN jerk on my show - Ryan Howard is absolutely worth the contract. Preeminent power hitter in the game!".
How's that take working out for ya Mike?

Agree with you. I've caught his act. Guys like he and Francesa are why I now enjoy satellite radio. The hosts are more knowledgeable and nowhere near as obnoxious.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom