Can't Wait Until PSU Next Year | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Can't Wait Until PSU Next Year

Nobody will care about Clemson and Miami will soon be neutered. Plus, we don't play them all at home in a given season.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I never said we would play them all at home in a given season.

I never said we would play them all at home in a given season.

Didn't mean to imply you did. Just making an observation.

well you know me and my Sopranos clan (he says with great affection!) will be there with bells on (not to mention eggplant parm, sausage with peppers and onions, rice balls, chicken cutlets, Italian heros and on and on). Even while running for cover from gail force winds and torrential downpours, it may have been the best food tailgate ever!

Did you know that Kiffen's mother was a man and he's a LOSER!!!.

I'm confused. Who is this directed towards? Most here supporting the NY (NJ) games are claiming we have MORE fans around the City than we do in CNY.

Of course that's clearly not true or we would have had at least 25k at the game.

I think what we got at the game from CNY was fairly representative of our CNY fan base. I'd say at least 50% of CNY diehards made the game (12-13k). Can't see attracting much more until we are winning and could conceivably win one of these games.

I'll always be convinced that the problem with SU's fan base lies squarely with the alumni, not the locals.

Gr8 time and CNY'ers need to get a life...man up and go next year

Penn State is a THREE GAME series.

One in the Dome (2020)
One in State College (2021)
One in MetLife. (2013)
I may be wrong on this, but I don't believe the games in the Dome and in State College have been finalized. I am concerned Dr Gross is going to get hosed again and this series is going to end up being a 1 game de facto home game for Penn State in NJ. Hope I am wrong on this. I think if PSU is not willing to commit to coming to the Dome beforehand, the game next year should be canceled.

Link

I'm confused. Who is this directed towards? Most here supporting the NY (NJ) games are claiming we have MORE fans around the City than we do in CNY.

Of course that's clearly not true or we would have had at least 25k at the game.

I think what we got at the game from CNY was fairly representative of our CNY fan base. I'd say at least 50% of CNY diehards made the game (12-13k). Can't see attracting much more until we are winning and could conceivably win one of these games.

I'll always be convinced that the problem with SU's fan base lies squarely with the alumni, not the locals.
I don't think it is very productive or helpful to point fingers and argue over what areas of the SU fanbase are the best (or the worse) but for the record, I agree that the majority of the SU fans at the game were from upstate NY.

From what I saw, I think there were around 3K of neutral fans there, about 18K of USC fans and 18K of SU fans. No question the NYC area fans on the whole did not turn out...at best they had perhaps 5K show up. Not a knock on the diehards on this board...as you say, SU alums in general do not do a good job supporting the program and they never have.

Whatever the breakdown of fans was, we should all be able to agree that bringing 18K of SU fans to Met Life for a game against the #1 team in the country was a pathetic showing, a shockingly bad number, and the lack of interest shown by SU alums, particularly those in the NYC area, is going to have major ramifications regarding scheduling future games in the NYC metro area.

I may be wrong on this, but I don't believe the games in the Dome and in State College have been finalized. I am concerned Dr Gross is going to get hosed again and this series is going to end up being a 1 game de facto home game for Penn State in NJ. Hope I am wrong on this. I think if PSU is not willing to commit to coming to the Dome beforehand, the game next year should be canceled.

Link

While I don't think we should play PedSt next year anyways, if this is just another shell game by TGD......

My main blast was in response to those who used the Game moving to MetLife as a reason for not going, not getting season tickets, etc...it isn't really directed at 95% of the CNY posters on this board...it is the idiots on Syr.com and other outlets using this as an excuse.

Even if CNY brought 12k (which I find still disappointing) we don't travel like a BCS school. The only car I saw running down to NJ sporting a car flag on Friday afternoon was the one I was in. CNY has to adopt to BCS ways if we expect to be a big boy school in football. When we travel we have to show pride and let others know who we are. We make fun of the "R" magnet but Cuse should be handing those out (an orange "S" magnet) to every season ticket holder next year. (In fact I'm going to send an email to a few folks at SU suggesting that) We need to be closer to VT than BC in fan support culture. I think Tri State Support for the team was awful too...hopefully that improves too. As others said no where to go but up...I was really proud of the fans who did show up and I saw much tailgating going on...Kudos. I thuoght SU did a great job on the stadium video presentation also. I plan to be back at MetLife next year.

How's that, because alumni move 5 to 6 hours away from SU after graduation? Forget the fact that the school does shockingly little to cultivate the sports donor, but those hoop games that fill up in DC, NY, Philly, etc are grad heavy.

, and the lack of interest shown by SU alums, particularly those in the NYC area, is going to have major ramifications regarding scheduling future games in the NYC metro area.

Lets hope so.

How's that, because alumni move 5 to 6 hours away from SU after graduation? Forget the fact that the school does shockingly little to cultivate the sports donor, but those hoop games that fill up in DC, NY, Philly, etc are grad heavy.

Don't forget they do little to nothing for the local fanbase or the long time donors.

If this is the way the majority of locals feel, then we most likely have a problem with no solution.

We don't have that many alumni, compared to the state schools who we ultimately compete against. And I can't imagine that many of our alums graduate and find jobs within 2-3 hours of Syracuse.

We have enough alums to make an impact in basketball arenas, but probably not enough to make a dent in football stadiums.

Life of a private school I guess.

If the Dome is going to fill, it will need to be from locals. If the locals feel they've done their part, then maybe it's time to put in the individual seats and reduce capacity. No sense keeping 50,000 seats if going forward we can only get that many maybe once every two years. Once a year if we're lucky.

If this is the way the majority of locals feel, then we most likely a problem with no solution.

We don't have that many alumni, compared to the state schools who we ultimately compete against. And I can't imagine that many of our alums graduate and find jobs within 2-3 hours of Syracuse.

We have enough alums to make an impact in basketball arenas, but probably not enough to make a dent in football stadiums.

If the Dome is going to fill, it will need to be from locals. If the locals feel they've done their part, then maybe it's time to put in the individual seats and reduce capacity. No sense keeping 50,000 seats if going forward we can only get that many maybe once every two years. Once a year if we're lucky.
that's the best thing about the block S. need to get people thinking Syracuse before they think S-U. "we are syracuse"

that stuff can only do so much but i'm still glad they're doing it

If this is the way the majority of locals feel, then we most likely a problem with no solution.

I agree with you and in that reality, SU needs to stop with the fallacy that they need to cater to out of town alumni. They don't exist in numbers. Not a shot at alums that go or don't go, but numbers don't justify it. Besides, there has never been a time on Su's football history where alums made a difference in attendance.

Don't forget they do little to nothing for the local fanbase or the long time donors.

They serve beer and sell $10 tickets.

I agree that they need to scrap the whole Dome seating / pricing thing and start over. It's a mess the way it's done.

Link

Working off this:

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/big-ten/penn-state-nittany-lions.php

The funny thing is if you travel around upstate NY all you see is people wearing SU gear. Stores have SU signage all over the place. You go around NJ and you cannot find anything RU. If you polled CNYers and asked them who their favorite CFB team is, the majority of them would say SU. So how is it that an area of 750k can only get 5% to show up on Saturdays? And this is all in a one horse town BTW. There really is no alternative CFB or Pro.

For whatever reason CNY is a BBall area and does not have a passion for FB. Which is different from the rest of the country.

The funny thing is if you travel around upstate NY all you see is people wearing SU gear. Stores have SU signage all over the place. You go around NJ and you cannot find anything RU. If you polled CNYers and asked them who their favorite CFB team is, the majority of them would say SU. So how is it that an area of 750k can only get 5% to show up on Saturdays? And this is all in a one horse town BTW. There really is no alternative CFB or Pro.

For whatever reason CNY is a BBall area and does not have a passion for FB. Which is different from the rest of the country.

Hoops has been able to build the infrastructure to ensure that it should always be competitive. It has always been in one of the top leagues, gets the top teams in. And if momentum starts to slip, it only takes one superstar recruit to stop the bleeding (see Anthony, Carmelo). SU fans feel that pride of knowing their stadium gets more people than anyone else.

Syracuse football has been at a disadvantage from the top teams of college football in many ways. Some of that is alleviated with ACC membership. But it's a big reason why CNY local support is constantly sitting at the minimum level. It's like the polar opposite of a school like, say, Nebraska. They feel like football is upper echelon and always will be, and they come out in droves. They feel like basketball is an uphill climb they can never make, so there is probably a very small, half empty stadium base of fans, and all the others are doing something else.

I agree that it's strange though because football is such a craze in every other part of the country. In CNY, they still get the national Sunday support (it's required by law in this country), but not Saturdays. Or Fridays, at least not nearly at the level of other parts of the country.

I agree that they need to scrap the whole Dome seating / pricing thing and start over. It's a mess the way it's done.

Agree, what else can they do to appeal to locals, dirt cheap tickets and beer.. Only thing left is an exciting brand of fottball which we seem to be moving towards and wins! Win some games. Basketball attendance would suck too, if the porgram sucked as well. Locals like SU Hoops beacuse we are good not because Syracuse is the second coming of the state of Indiana. People in Syracuse want to swill beer and watch SU win the majority of the time, don't really have an issue with it. Doesn't take a marketing degree to figure that out.

Clemson will be a rival, but Florida St will be like Georgetown a team to hate, because their fans are obnoxious,and have no respect for anyone.

Eh, $10 tixs do not do a thing for long term building of the fanbase. It's being very shortsighted and looking for the quick fix. It's the difference between one guy getting a hooker and another being happily married.

Agree, what else can they do to appeal to locals, dirt cheap tickets and beer.. Only thing left is an exciting brand of fottball which we seem to be moving towards and wins! Win some games. Basketball attendance would suck too, if the porgram sucked as well. Locals like SU Hoops beacuse we are good not because Syracuse is the second coming of the state of Indiana. People in Syracuse want to swill beer and watch SU win the majority of the time, don't really have an issue with it. Doesn't take a marketing degree to figure that out.

You don't need a marketing degree either to know $10 seats do almost nothing. And I don't know one single person that goes to a game because they sell beer. It sounds good though.

You don't need a marketing degree either to know $10 seats do almost nothing. And I don't know one single person that goes to a game because they sell beer. It sounds good though.

You know Chip.

You discredit the uniqueness of the beer thing, the super cheap seats with great sitelines, and for that matter playing in a facility that keeps people warm and dry in a place that is cold and wet.

If you want to say the guy that invested a lot gets little in return next to the guy sitting 15 yards away in the $10 seat then I think that's fair.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom