Can't Wait Until PSU Next Year | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Can't Wait Until PSU Next Year

What are you basing this ridiculous claim on? You have no idea where 15-20k fans originated from.

Did the NYC fans buy from stubhub and groupon?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

This is a ridiculous post. You can tell where people are from how? Utter nonsense.
I extrapolated based on the couple of hundred people I met and talked before, during and after the game.

The point of my post was that it doesn't really matter what the breakdown was of the SU fans who showed up. There were 16K or thereabouts of SU fans there. Bringing 16K for a team ranked #1 in the country is a complete disaster.

IMHO, something dramatic needs to change regarding SU attendance for the PSU and ND games or they will be the last ones we play at Met Life for a long time.

What are you basing this ridiculous claim on? You have no idea where 15-20k fans originated from.
I mentioned it a while back in this thread but I it was right in the middle of the "teams better than WVU" string of posts:

There were alumni gatherings in Hoboken, Jersey City, NYC, etc. If alumni can't go 20 minutes to watch a game against USC in their backyard then they aren't going to go period.

That being said, it's not a NYC fan problem, it's not a CNY fan problem, it's a Syracuse Football Fan problem that will likely happen anywhere we play.

I extrapolated based on the couple of hundred people I met and talked before, during and after the game.

The point of my post was that it doesn't really matter what the breakdown was of the SU fans who showed up. There were 16K or thereabouts of SU fans there. Bringing 16K for a team ranked #1 in the country is a complete disaster.

IMHO, something dramatic needs to change regarding SU attendance for the PSU and ND games or they will be the last ones we play at Met Life for a long time.

And I extrapolated from the people that I met. Didn't meet one person from CNY... Not one. (Actually TexanMark counts I guess even though he now lives in Texas). And we are in agreement that attendance was bad. Not enough alums came, and not enough locals decided to make the one trip a year down. It was disappointing all around. That said, I expect numbers to rise significantly at MetLife as we win more and play schools like Penn St and Notre Dame where we actually have a legit shot to win. Have a good year this year and there will be some excitement going into next years game.

I mentioned it a while back in this thread but I it was right in the middle of the "teams better than WVU" string of posts:

There were alumni gatherings in Hoboken, Jersey City, NYC, etc. If alumni can't go 20 minutes to watch a game against USC in their backyard then they aren't going to go period.

That being said, it's not a NYC fan problem, it's not a CNY fan problem, it's a Syracuse Football Fan problem that will likely happen anywhere we play.

Oh I agree. It's the same premise as those locals who sit on their couch instead of actually going to the games. Don't get it. And I agree that it's a Syracuse football fan base problem, not specific to where the game is played. We need to win more. The question is how much more winning will it take?

Did the NYC fans buy from stubhub and groupon?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Can't speak for anyone else but my group bought 12 through the University at 100 bucks a pop.

Can't speak for anyone else but my group bought 12 through the University at 100 bucks a pop.

You know 6 people who bought through groupon. Are we now assuming that all the groupon tickets are from CNY lol. Just around our tailgate we had 25 non CNYers, 0 CNYers, and 10 USC fans. Using that it must mean that there were 25k alumni and 10k USC fans plus 5k made up of non affiliated locals. LOL.

And I extrapolated from the people that I met. Didn't meet one person from CNY... Not one. (Actually TexanMark counts I guess even though he now lives in Texas). And we are in agreement that attendance was bad. Not enough alums came, and not enough locals decided to make the one trip a year down. It was disappointing all around. That said, I expect numbers to rise significantly at MetLife as we win more and play schools like Penn St and Notre Dame where we actually have a legit shot to win. Have a good year this year and there will be some excitement going into next years game.
I take issue with your 'not enough locals decided to make the one trip a year down' statement.

A lot of locals are going to the Rutgers game. A lot of locals go to the BET. A lot of locals go to the preseason tournaments in NYC, and to football and basketball games in places like Newark, Storrs, Hartford, West Hartford, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Boston, etc.

This was just another in a long line of road trips for many of us. Also, the division between alums and locals is a blurred one. A good percentage of the people who travel regularly to away games are locals and alums, like me.

I take issue with your 'not enough locals decided to make the one trip a year down' statement.

A lot of locals are going to the Rutgers game. A lot of locals go to the BET. A lot of locals go to the preseason tournaments in NYC, and to football and basketball games in places like Newark, Storrs, Hartford, West Hartford, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Boston, etc.

This was just another in a long line of road trips for many of us. Also, the division between alums and locals is a blurred one. A good percentage of the people who travel regularly to away games are locals and alums, like me.
I guess that raises the question, if there are games to be played in Piscataway and Storrs, is there really any need to play another home game in the NYC area? Those in Jersey/west of the Hudson can make SU games @RU pretty easily, and those east of the Hudson can pretty easily make the games @ UConn, granted the $$ is different for hosting a game in NYC. I'm just kinda saying, Big East-wise, there were options for those in the tri-state area for the "downstate fan demographic", even without a game at the Meadowlands. That gets thrown out the window once SU is in the ACC, will force TGD's hand even further without those options, unless they're scheduled OOC.

If this is the way the majority of locals feel, then we most likely have a problem with no solution.

We don't have that many alumni, compared to the state schools who we ultimately compete against. And I can't imagine that many of our alums graduate and find jobs within 2-3 hours of Syracuse.

We have enough alums to make an impact in basketball arenas, but probably not enough to make a dent in football stadiums.

Life of a private school I guess.

If the Dome is going to fill, it will need to be from locals. If the locals feel they've done their part, then maybe it's time to put in the individual seats and reduce capacity. No sense keeping 50,000 seats if going forward we can only get that many maybe once every two years. Once a year if we're lucky.
We need more support from alumni. We know what CNYers do. They give , say 25K very loyal fans...and probably 15K more in winning seasons. Alums are probably 5k and 10K. It's about diversification...not putting all eggs in one basket...risk reduction. Increase the number of loyal alumni and it's a win-win. Sure, we don't have the numbers of large state schools and never will. But is the alumni really fully utilized? Heck no. Hook them. Maybe instead of the trough in losing season being 30K, the trough is 40k.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom