Carey, Autry & Griff headed to Greece | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Carey, Autry & Griff headed to Greece

This summer is going to help him a lot. I feel pretty confident. Boeheim has a pretty good track record when it comes to breaking in young PGs.
Yes - the summer will help. As for Boeheim’s record with PGs, we have examples of young players who were immediately good (Flynn, Triche, Ennis), or obviously talented but as frosh stuck behind good veterans (MCW). Scoop developed year to year. Howard struggled as a sophomore. Think it depends on what the individual player can do, and what skills need work.

Second game is not good enough quality to make out the numbers, so I gave up on that one.

The final game, against Greece's National U19 team, is starting out like a pretty challenging matchup.

Carey starts for the East Coast. Greece's kids are well coached and tore up the East Coast team early, jumping to a 10-4 lead. Carey was guilty of several poor plays in that opening stretch. He started the game by missing an open 3 from the top of the key, then made the wrong rotation on defense and left an open corner shooter who made the three.

East Coast was getting killed inside early, so Autry had them switch to zone. Carey made a lazy pass for a turnover and Autry called TO. He gave Carey a real talking to at the first time out, but this time, I didn't see a big change on the court afterwards.

Second quarter, Carey starts. Greece pressures the ball, he handles it. Then on D he lets a guy get past him on the drive and the Greek player is fouled at the rim.

Carey is fouled on a drive. Non-shooting foul. When pressured, he changes direction with short little moves instead of trying to out-race a guy down court.

He made a nice turnaround spin move in the lane and made about a 12 foot fadeaway. He made a couple drives where he kicked out to a corner shooter in the right corner, but both shot attempts missed.

Mostly, he's keeping his dribble low against ball pressure and handling it pretty well, but then makes a lazy pass cross court that gives up a breakaway basket.

Then, he brings the ball up court for East Coast, kicks to a shooter in the right corner, another miss by the shooter and Carey fouls in frustration trying to get the rebound. Time out. Swaps out for the other crew.

So far, the kid from North Carolina, KJ Smith, is doing a better job than Carey. Smith and #3, who I believe is Archibald, the guard from Louisiana Tech, are the better backcourt so far.

The Greek team is talented. These kids would make up a mid-level team in one of the P5 conferences, like a Notre Dame or Kansas State, somebody like that. They're good, they have a good big man, they spring traps on defense, pressure the ball. Very impressive.

Second Half:
Carey comes in after a few minutes. Drives from the right wing, passes across to left wing for an assist as teammate makes a mid-range jumper from the wing.

Carey steals the ball away under the rim after a defensive rebound by Greece, but is blocked as he tried to shoot among the trees. No foul call, Greece comes away with the ball.

Carey commits a foul holding on defense as a Greek guy drives across the lane. Greece makes both fouls shots to retake the lead 46-45 with 3 minutes left in 3rd Q.

Carey dribbles, trying to find an opening in the lane, is forced to take a 3 from the top of the key as the quarter is ending and misses it.

4th quarter:
Full court press by US, Carey bumped off ball handler on pick.
Autry gets into KJ Smith a bit at the time out.

Better intensity from whole team afterwards. Much more defensive intensity.
KJ Smith with 2 fast breaks - fouled at the rim on 1, nice assist on the other.
Defense picking up for both teams. Lots of contested shots (lots of misses) by both teams.

Carey in - full court press. Carey challenges corner jumper, makes him miss.
Carey facing a lot of ball pressure, handles it well.

Carey fouled on 3 point attempt. Misses first and second, makes 3rd FT.
On fast break, receives intermediate pass, kicks it back out for 3 point shooter (miss).
Carey has been robbed of about 3 assists because the shooter missed open shots. Time Out.

Carey with long outlet pass for assist on fast break. East Coast (US) up by 3.
Technical foul on US bench, Greece makes both FT's and gets ball down 1 point.

Carey late to loose ball after Greece miss, Greece guy gets rebound in the lane puts it up and in.
Cuts US lead to 1 point with 28 seconds left.

Carey inbounds the ball, gets it back, fouled, makes 1 misses 2nd.
Greece ties the game with a drive across the lane.

US inbounds from half court with 6 seconds left. Carey passes to Archibald (Louisiana Tech kid) in corner, drives, fouled. Makes 1, misses 2nd with 3 seconds left.

Greece drives the lane, looking to take lead, shot blocked at the rim.
Greece inbounds with less than a second left. Corner shooter is open and makes it, but after the buzzer.

US (East Coast) wins. Phew.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Second game is not good enough quality to make out the numbers, so I gave up on that one.

The final game, against Greece's National U19 team, is starting out like a pretty challenging matchup.

Carey starts for the East Coast. Greece's kids are well coached and tore up the East Coast team early, jumping to a 10-4 lead. Carey was guilty of several poor plays in that opening stretch. He started the game by missing an open 3 from the top of the key, then made the wrong rotation on defense and left an open corner shooter who made the three.

East Coast was getting killed inside early, so Autry had them switch to zone. Carey made a lazy pass for a turnover and Autry called TO. He gave Carey a real talking to at the first time out, but this time, I didn't see a big change on the court afterwards.

Second quarter, Carey starts. Greece pressures the ball, he handles it. Then on D he lets a guy get past him on the drive and the Greek player is fouled at the rim.

Carey is fouled on a drive. Non-shooting foul. When pressured, he changes direction with short little moves instead of trying to out-race a guy down court.

He made a nice turnaround spin move in the lane and made about a 12 foot fadeaway. He made a couple drives where he kicked out to a corner shooter in the right corner, but both shot attempts missed.

Mostly, he's keeping his dribble low against ball pressure and handling it pretty well, but then makes a lazy pass cross court that gives up a breakaway basket.

Then, he brings the ball up court for East Coast, kicks to a shooter in the right corner, another miss by the shooter and Carey fouls in frustration trying to get the rebound. Time out. Swaps out for the other crew.

So far, the kid from North Carolina, KJ Smith, is doing a better job than Carey. Smith and #3, who I believe is Archibald, the guard from Louisiana Tech, are the better backcourt so far.

The Greek team is talented. These kids would make up a mid-level team in one of the P5 conferences, like a Notre Dame or Kansas State, somebody like that. They're good, they have a good big man, they spring traps on defense, pressure the ball. Very impressive.

Second Half:
Carey comes in after a few minutes. Drives from the right wing, passes across to left wing for an assist as teammate makes a mid-range jumper from the win.

Carey steals the ball away under the rim after a defensive rebound by Greece, but is blocked as he tried to shoot among the trees. No foul call, Greece comes away with the ball.

Carey commits a foul holding on defense as a Greek guy drives across the lane. Greece makes both fouls shots to retake the lead 46-45 with 3 minutes left in 3rd Q.

Carey dribbles, trying to find an opening in the lane, is forced to take a 3 from the top of the key as the quarter is ending and misses it.

4th quarter:
Full court press by US, Carey bumped off ball handler on pick.
Autry gets into KJ Smith a bit at the time out.

Better intensity from whole team afterwards. Much more defensive intensity.
KJ Smith with 2 fast breaks - fouled at the rim on 1, nice assist on the other.
Defense picking up for both teams. Lots of contested shots (lots of misses) by both teams.

Carey in - full court press. Carey challenges corner jumper, makes him miss.
Carey facing a lot of ball pressure, handles it well.

Carey fouled on 3 point attempt. Misses first and second, makes 3rd FT.
On fast break, receives intermediate pass, kicks it back out for 3 point shooter (miss).
Carey has been robbed of about 3 assists because the shooter missed open shots. Time Out.

Carey with long outlet pass for assist on fast break. East Coast (US) up by 3.
Technical foul on US bench, Greece makes both FT's and gets ball down 1 point.
Carey late to loose ball after Greece miss, Greece guy gets rebound in the lane puts it up and in.
Cuts US lead to 1 point with 28 seconds left.

Carey inbounds the ball, gets it back, fouled, makes 1 misses 2nd.
Greece ties the game with a drive across the lane.
US inbounds from half court with 6 seconds left. Carey passes to Archibald (Louisiana Tech kid) in corner, drives, fouled. Makes 1, misses 2nd with 3 seconds left.

Greece drives the lane, looking to take lead, shot blocked at the rim.
Greece inbounds with less than a second left. Corner shooter is open and makes it, but after the buzzer.

US (East Coast) wins. Phew.

Overall impression. Carey probably played his best in the first game. Couldn't make out the players in the second video, but his stat line was not impressive - 6 points, I think, and only 1 assist in game two.

The final game, he handled the ball well, got the team into its offense, made some good passes, and shooters just missed. He made a nice mid-range shot, did not look to shoot much from outside. Tried to drive a few times, but not a lot of success getting to the rim.

So far, if this were the start of the season, I would trust him on the ball, and would say that he has improved in that respect. His shooting is still not that great, and he really needs to concentrate better on his free throws and his defensive awareness. Guys get away from him and he doesn't keep close enough sometimes.

If he's on the weak side, he is prone to getting sucked in too much to the middle, leaving the far corner or far wing shooter too much space to close out on them.

This was about a "B" start. His first game was the best of the three. He got some good experience against quality players. These guys were pretty good.

There is going to be film study now when he gets back. Let's see how much he improves when he's playing with all his own teammates when they take the trip to Italy.

K.J. Smith of North Carolina was a walk-on from IMG Academy by way out of Thousand Oaks, CA. He took a red shirt year, then played 13 minutes a game as a frosh (24 games) but didn't shoot that well. Last year, as a red shirt soph, he only played a couple minutes a game, but shot better and showed some promise. I imagine they look at him as competing to be their back-up PG for this upcoming year.

Amorie Archibald of La. Tech (#3 for East Coast) was a sophomore last year, and started for them. He averaged 10.8 PPG and 3 assists. He shot 35% from three. Good solid player.

The other kid who stuck out, to me, was the kid from Western CT State, which is a lower level team for whom ESPN has no stats from last year. I'll have to go back and look at his name in the East Coast roster, but he was good. Probably about a 6-6 or 6-7 forward. Nice player.

Last edited:
All I’m going to say is if Carey plays like this against ACC competition, it won’t bode well.

Everyone is hoping he makes the leap but there was little evidence he could be a reliable lead guard for 35 minutes in an ACC game.

As was mentioned before, a walk-on from North Carolina is outplaying him. Small sample size, sure. But that should never happen.

JB needs to recruit PGs to play PG. Not 2s that he thinks he can morph into ACC PGs. We have tried this experiment multiple times and it either fails or at best is serviceable.
As to JC he will be fine. Not great as he is more of an off guard but he will be ok.

All I’m going to say is if Carey plays like this against ACC competition, it won’t bode well.

Everyone is hoping he makes the leap but there was little evidence he could be a reliable lead guard for 35 minutes in an ACC game.

As was mentioned before, a walk-on from North Carolina is outplaying him. Small sample size, sure. But that should never happen.

I agree that he's not ready for 35 minutes against ACC teams. Ideally, I'd like to see him, Buddy and Goodine all play about 20-25 minutes and Girard gets the other 10. That way you don't have to rely on any one guy too much, everybody gets enough experience to become contributors, and you ride the hot hand.

K.J. Smith of North Carolina was a walk-on from IMG Academy by way out of Thousand Oaks, CA. He took a red shirt year, then played 13 minutes a game as a frosh (24 games) but didn't shoot that well. Last year, as a red shirt soph, he only played a couple minutes a game, but shot better and showed some promise. I imagine they look at him as competing to be their back-up PG for this upcoming year.

Amorie Archibald of La. Tech (#3 for East Coast) was a sophomore last year, and started for them. He averaged 10.8 PPG and 3 assists. He shot 35% from three. Good solid player.

The other kid who stuck out, to me, was the kid from Western CT State, which is a lower level team for whom ESPN has no stats from last year. I'll have to go back and look at his name in the East Coast roster, but he was good. Probably about a 6-6 or 6-7 forward. Nice player.

Had to check. KJ is Kenny Smith's kid

This summer is going to help him a lot. I feel pretty confident. Boeheim has a pretty good track record when it comes to breaking in young PGs.
3052502C-D31D-4879-84D0-504D83C21506.jpeg

Agree kaleb part 2. Hope he proves me wrong and will gladly fess up. Ironically his best game was the UConn game when we lost. Hasn’t looked good since.

I agree that he's not ready for 35 minutes against ACC teams. Ideally, I'd like to see him, Buddy and Goodine all play about 20-25 minutes and Girard gets the other 10. That way you don't have to rely on any one guy too much, everybody gets enough experience to become contributors, and you ride the hot hand.

That isn’t the recipe of a winning team with JB. Starting PG plays 30+...

Also, this isn’t directed at you but I thought he was terrible in his “best” game vs. UConn.

I’m impressed by what he could be, but that’s a far cry from what he actually is.

JB needs to recruit PGs to play PG. Not 2s that he thinks he can morph into ACC PGs. We have tried this experiment multiple times and it either fails or at best is serviceable.
As to JC he will be fine. Not great as he is more of an off guard but he will be ok.

OK means another 18-win season.

That isn’t the recipe of a winning team with JB. Starting PG plays 30+...

Also, this isn’t directed at you but I thought he was terrible in his “best” game vs. UConn.

I’m impressed by what he could be, but that’s a far cry from what he actually is.

Scoop and Triche used to split time just about like I said I would like to see for this group.
That worked out pretty well.

Scoop and Triche used to split time just about like I said I would like to see for this group.
That worked out pretty well.

Hope this group can ever get to being that good... just my personal opinion, but I don’t think anyone in our roster is anywhere near either Scoop or Triche in terms of ability to be a point guard.

This board is melting down over a performance against the best Greece had to offer. It never fails. Go outside and enjoy the weather.

It’s a message board where people opine. Not melting down. Just expressing concern.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom